Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Major Milestones, but Embarrassed

I just hit two major milestones but I am too embarrassed to tell my husband and parents (who are the only ones who know about my band). So here goes, I am now under 100 kilos and I have lost 50 pounds. Yes that is strange to use both Metric and English but I am an American living aboad so I do use both. I have never verbally told my husband my weight, although he has asked many times. He did say to me once that he knew what I weighed, and he probably did because he saw my physical for moving abroad. I like to live in denial because we weighed about the same and he is a big tall guy. Needless to say, he has gained a few pounds since I got banded so I am now substaintially smaller than him!!! When I hit onederland I might have to break down and tell DH, but I still don't think I could tell my parents. My Mom weighs around 200 and is trying to get banded so I don't think she will be all that impressed when I get to that mark.

It still all feels surreal that I got banded and have been losing weight....:thumbup:now I can't wait to return to the US for the holidays and see my in-laws!!!

You should tell them. Let them be excited for you even if they don't quite get it. Plus, I bet your mom understand more than you think. She's lived it.

Well I can't really feel you because I've always been really honest about my weight even at my highest weight. people pretty much know what your weight is and I sure wouldn't want them to think I was a lier on top of being fat. with that being said I think you should tell and be proud It's a great acomplisment and you deserve the praise. Besides you don't weigh that now so what's to be embarrassed about?

When I hit my first big milestone a few weeks ago I told everyone I finally made my mini goal I set myself. Some thought my goal was to lose 50 lbs but it was really to get into onederland! i don't think you have to tell anyone exactly how much you weigh for them to be excited when you hit a milestone. I just let everyone know I set myself a personal goal (i tell them it's a mini goal) and when I get there I let them know and they are all excited for me. Let them share in your excitement! I'm sure they would love to do that and it will make you feel good too!! :tongue2:

I personally feel that you should only tell your weight if you really want to. You don't owe anybody those details, so please don't feel like you do. Some are very open about it, others are not, and both scenarios are correct. It's simply about what works for you.

Your accomplishment is in how you look, not just the number. If you wish, the number can be YOUR secret accomplishment while you look rockin' to everybody else. :tongue2:

I shout my weight from the rooftops! I am so proud not to be 267 anymore, I don't care who knows now. I can understand not wanting to let people know too. So you do what you feel in your heart. This is your journey and you do have us to Celebrate with. GO YOU!!!!

i was pushing 275 when i started with my one week pre op diet. I havent really told anyone my weight out of embarrassment. My grandma asked and I told her when I weighed 265 because they paid for the surgery and I felt I owed them that. This Sat, I finally told my husband my weight for the first time ever!! I told him I was pushing 275, and have lost 30 pounds now down to 244. I am proud of my weight loss but my # is still embarrassing to me as I have along way to go. For me personally, it was about battling the bulge and that pschycological battle. I felt better telling him and he was proud of my accomplishment so far. I told him all my little goals i have lol. and he said the sweetest thing to me... sortof. He said one thing he noticed since the process is my breath stinks rofl. I said well, thats awesome because that means im burning fat. He said he doesnt mind but wanted to tell me for work purposes. So i bought some sugar free purposes. I like that we were so honest with eachother then. makes me feel more connected to him somehow. only for me personally. There are so many i wouldnt tell my weight to, just uncomfortable to do so.

You should tell him. I didn't want my DH to know my weight. He knew my weight at one point but I've gained like 40lb since then and I REALLY didn't want him to know. I gave him my psych eval thingey (4 pg evaluation) and it had my weight on it. I totally forgot about that! When he told me he knew my weight I literally turned blood red and cried. He was kinda irritated with me for crying and said he's my husband and I shouldn't hide it from him.

We all have our own ways of managing this journey and as others have said, it is all ok - it is what makes us comfortable.

I have noticed that I have become very socially inappropriate, the more weight I lost :thumbup:. I used to tell people how much I lost, but not what I started at or what I currently weighed.

I have been overweight my entire life (morbidly obese since mid teens), so I don't know what is "normal" and I find I have been asking my friends what they weigh so I have something to compare to. Unfortunately for them, they mostly feel obligated to tell me since I have lost so much :). This does mean telling them what I weigh now - and they can do the math as they know how much I have lost.

The way I figure it for myself - it was pretty obvious to others (even if I was in denial to myself) that I weighed ALOT, and it is also pretty obvious that I have lost ALOT, so why not be proud and loud and share my success and numbers.

An interesting by product is their reactions (and even mine). I weigh about the same as many of my friends now (wipee). I think it is semi-hard for them to hear, but I look at them and think I still am so much bigger than they are. I have never seen them as being over weight at this weight, but I still see myself as having quite a bit to lose. My head tells me one thing and I can kind of see it in the mirror (or in pictures), but I am not sure when the rest of me will see it.