Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mood swings from hell!?

:frown:I am 3 weeks post opt and extremely moody. I am taking my meds, I have bipolar type 2 and was well managed for several yrs through many things and have done well. I am also been married for 2 yrs and my husband has never seen me so moody. As a matter of fact I was so well managed that nobody believed me that I had bipolar. Well, my husband is shocked for how moody that I am. I have never felt like this for yrs. My friend told me it was the surgury and my body is out of whack and it will mellow out in time. I am also depressed. I am surprised that I am so moody and depressed. I am behaving like a typical bipolar person, and I dont like it. I have always had it together and now I am falling apart. GRRR Anyway its a visious cycle, I know I shouldn't sleep so much, should get sun etc. But its so hard to just get out of my pj's and face the day. I know what would probably cheer me up, but lack the motivation to do it?! Has anyone else experienced this after getting the lapband? Anyone out there with bipolar or suffer depression? I also for 2 weeks after the surgury had such bad anxiety everyday. I never have it everyday! :w00t: Its weird, andits not because I cant go to food for support. I never was an emotional eater, so thats not the issue. I know for the past year I been under alot of stress.. But just wonder if surgery was the straw the broke my back?

So sorry to hear you are suffering. I am not bipolar, but I did get depressed and moody after my surgery. It is hard because the food was our comfort and now we can't have it. It's hard to see other people eating. Please call your doctors office and let them know how you are feeling. I have a nephew who is bipolar, it is so hard for him to deal with. My heart goes out to you. Best Wishes

Are you getting enough protien? Strange as it sounds if I don't get enough protien I get very moody. Just a thought. Hope you feel better!

I try to eat protien first before I eat anything else. And I am not moody or depressed becuz I am eating small amounts. Unlike most ppl who are over weight that wasn't the cause of my wieght issue. I rarely ever went to food for comfort. I ate less then what my husband eats and he is thin. My normal food intake before surgery was no more then 2500 average cals a day, but when I ate less I was always hungry. My body is disfunctional. Anyway I am wondering if it was the stress of the surgery or the stuff to put me under when I was getting the surgery. Or from eating less, its like my body could be starving and yet I am not hungry but my body chemistry might be getting thrown off by it? I just wondering if anyone else has gone through this? I use to take lots of supplements to help along with my meds to stablize my moods. Well I no longer take them, becuz the pills are to big. I dont know..

When I was in the pre-op phase I was counseled by a nurse who specialized in lap-band surgeries and I distinctly remember her telling me that a period of depression is very common about 3 weeks following surgery. I thought that was so odd!? She said it is due to several factors: 1) Release of estrogen with the melting of fat cells, 2) after-effects of the anesthesia and 3) mental adjustments that have to be made without food to rely on as a 'pacifier'.

Just hang in there a couple more weeks...it will go away as soon as it came. Sorry if you're not feeling so hot, but it won't last!

My son is bipolar, too....I'm glad to hear you are well controlled! That's great!

I was eating protien first also. I still wasn't getting enough. I knew there was a problem when I was yelling at my daughter (she was 5) and she said "Mommy what's wring with you?" That's when I started counting grams of protien(among other things). I found that I was only getting between 40-50 grams a day. When I increased my protien intake, my moods evened out. I wouldn't have thought protien would have that effect, but it did with me.

The kind of depression I went through after surgery, felt very much like postpartum depression to me. It was dibilitating and hit me without warning, suddenly it vanished as quickly as it came. I have a hunch that this phase will be over before you know it. My sister and brother and my stepdaughter are all bipolar. Any time they experience a major upheaval in their lives, they have severe mood swings. Surgery is a big deal. Hopefully, it will pass very soon. Good luck.

Hi, I also have bipolar II and I have a really bad problem tolerating anesthesia. Took me a long time to make the decision to have surgery due to the fact that anesthesia messes with my bipolar. It usually tends to send me into a bad depression. But most of the time I had not been medicated when going under. I was this time and I haven't experienced the depression. HOWEVER... I am not experiencing hypomanic episodes. I feel great but the moods are a bit all over but mainly along the manic lines, not depression at all. I will say that my Protein intake is really horrible and I need to increase it really bad. I feel fantastic and I feel like I look good finally. However, this newly acquired hypomania is taking a toll on my marriage. My marriage is falling apart and I don't know why. Long story and extremely confusing.

I wonder if the release of all the estrogen into my body is turning my hormones into a raging storm? My sex drive is TROUGH THE ROOF. That's fine if your husband is not mad at you all of the time. LOL. Otherwise you're just miserable. LOL

I highly suggest you go see your psych Dr immediately and tell him/her everything that is going on with you. Keep a daily mood journal along with tracking your food (protein intake, etc). You may be able to see a pattern of moods with nutrition intake.

Being bipolar is a very difficult thing to go through. I know, I've been battling it for years. I too, didn't emotional eat. I gained weight from all of the psych meds I was put on over the years, especially lithium. That one was really bad for weight loss.

I too have been so well managed no one would know I had bipolar. But my dear I urge you to see your doctor. In 2001 I had severe uterine bleeding for months (daily) and was in bad shape. Took a brand new FULL-TIME job, planned a marriage and got married. Immediately upon return from honeymoon had to have emergency D&C under general anesthesia. Job went in the toilet, son was expelled from school and I started getting depressed from the anesthesia. All the extra stress made the depression so bad that I had to be hospitalized 3 times in 4 months, husband and I almost split which made the depression WAY worse. It was an awful experience that took me til NOW to feel like myself. One med after another didn't work. GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR. Don't delay. Trust me, you don't want to wind up suffering for years with an intense treatment-resistent depression. Not fun at all. If you still don't get relief keep going until you do. Try anything and everything you can to get out of that bed. MAKE YOURSELF. I know exactly what you are going through. You feel like you are trying to tread Water in thick mud all of the time. Nothing gives you pleasure. Nothing will make your mind tell you to do anything you know you need to do.

Please feel free to contact me off list if you would like.

Good luck girl.

Lisa

I am fine now, they have leveled off in the mood swings and the depression. Now the estrogen is messing with my pms.. deff pms is extremely more then usaul, Water retention, migranes, chocolate cravings (GRR) more then it usaully is.. i will hope that this will level off too! :crying: