Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reporting back, banded today

Well it's done and I'm home! I was unprepared for how much I would hurt, it's been really bad. I was a huge baby in recovery, kept crying and saying how stupid I was and why did I do this to myself. My nurses were angels though and they took excellent care of me. Both the trapped gas and the incisional pain are just awful. They discovered and repaied a large hiatal hernia and I assume that's why I'm so much more sore than expected. I'm sitting here trying to sip on my broth but it's hard to get more than a sip or two down, I guess I'm pretty swollen and irritated in there. I know I'll be glad I did it in a couple days, but right now I'm just miserable and wishing I had made a run for the door when I could.

Anybody else find they were unable to throw up after surgery? I've had a couple bouts of nausea, and it was nothing more than violent dry heaves. Very little was in my stomach but nothing at all came up.

Hi ~

I had a horrible amount of pain for the first 5 days. I could barely drink anything because I just felt so full and nauseated. Make sure you take your pain medication on schedule, that will help. I kept walking as much as I could and that did help some. I used a heating pad on my shoulder as well.

It does get better and you will be happy with your decision once the pain and swelling goes down.

Gilta

Well it's done and I'm home! I was unprepared for how much I would hurt, it's been really bad. I was a huge baby in recovery, kept crying and saying how stupid I was and why did I do this to myself. My nurses were angels though and they took excellent care of me. Both the trapped gas and the incisional pain are just awful. They discovered and repaied a large hiatal hernia and I assume that's why I'm so much more sore than expected. I'm sitting here trying to sip on my broth but it's hard to get more than a sip or two down, I guess I'm pretty swollen and irritated in there. I know I'll be glad I did it in a couple days, but right now I'm just miserable and wishing I had made a run for the door when I could.

Anybody else find they were unable to throw up after surgery? I've had a couple bouts of nausea, and it was nothing more than violent dry heaves. Very little was in my stomach but nothing at all came up.

Hi,

I was bandes at 9 this morn. and home by 2ish.

Crap! I am in so much pain now. They also repaired a hernia on me.

It's after 3 in the morning and I am hurting.

I am going to try some of the suggestions I have just read.

Laying on my left side and bringing my right knee up?

sleeping or (suffering) in the recliner instead of the bed.

Haven't done them yet but sure hope I can get some releif.

My husband goes to wk at 6:00, then I am on my own with our 3 yr old, active boy. I am scared.

Good luck and I hope you feel comfortable soon.

I am still not able to lay on my left side yet. I get nauseated when I lay on that side. Someone on the site mentioned that it is due to the way the stomach is positioned when laying this way.

I hope you both are feeling better. It did take me until day 5/6 to really feel that I had gotten past the worst of it.

Gilta

I am still not able to lay on my left side yet. I get nauseated when I lay on that side. Someone on the site mentioned that it is due to the way the stomach is positioned when laying this way.

I hope you both are feeling better. It did take me until day 5/6 to really feel that I had gotten past the worst of it.

Gilta

5/6 days!! OMG

I hate the cramps in my left side when I inhale. And my chest feels like a ton is on it.

Thanks for your reply, hope you feel better each day.

Gosh I hope you can find somebody to help with your son, I feel a lot better today but nowhere near well enough to take care of a 3 year old. I'm so thankful my husband was able to take a few days off.

Gosh I hope you can find somebody to help with your son, I feel a lot better today but nowhere near well enough to take care of a 3 year old. I'm so thankful my husband was able to take a few days off.

Hi,

My husband took another day off! What a guy!

It's been 4 hrs since I took pain meds. I had a shower, then cleaned 3 of my bathrooms. Seems if I keep busy and move it helps a bit. But then decided I might be over doing it, time to sit down. And boom, out of wind, and pain again and I am tired.

Ha ha ha, what a road this will be.

Have a great day

i wouldnt recommend cleaning anything or doing any house work the first several days. Just get up walk around, then relax. All i was able to do was get up walk to bathroom and around the house then i was out sleeping again. I am still tired and feeling like naps after being up just a few hours.

Arizonagirl~ be careful and don't over do it. You sound like me! I was up and at it and cleaning, etc before I should have been. Make sure you don't get yourself too tired and sore!

I felt great and then had some major pain on Monday evening, 1 week after surgery. I think I just had been pushing too hard and my body was telling me to take it easy! I am now feeling better after taking it a bit slower the last two days.

I hope you feel better soon. I just had my band done on the 5th but had 2 days in the hospital to rest and wish everybody could have this. It seems that insurance companies want to save so much money. People really need to rest and be cared for after the lap band.

It will get better. Just rest and take your medicine.

Mary

I'm so thankful I have my husband home for the week, he's taking such good care of me. I'm quite a bit better today but I had such bad pain and nausea during the night I was up and down every hour or so. No way I could be taking care of the kids yet.

I really was very surprised at how rough this has been. I once had a Migraine headache so bad I didn't think I'd survive the trip to the ER, it was the worst pain of my life, childbirth took a distant second place to it and hysterectomy took third. This surgery has solidly passed childbirth and taken second place as the worst thing I've ever been through next to that headache. Not trying to scare anybody, but maybe I would have dealt with it better if I'd expected this much pain. For those few hours in recovery I loudly regretted it (my poor nurses), once I was past that worst part and got things in perspective I now know that it will be worth it.

I had my surgery on Aug 8th.. The pain was horrible. I stayed overnight in the hosp and they were giving me pain shots every hour. by the 3rd day the only pain i had was the gas pain and alot of walking has helped that. I was thinking like you at first why did I do this to myself but today i have just a little discomfort in the port area and Im glad ive done this. Ive lost 5lbs since surgery.. just hang in there it does get better.