Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scale Addicts . . . ???? for You

Are you one of those people that weighs every five minutes like I do? If so, I have some questions for you. [i KNOW I should only weigh once a week, but I just can't help myself - I'm obsessed].

Anyways . . . THE OLD ME would weigh at night and in the morning (after my morning pee). The morning would be what I considered my "true" weight. Typically, my weights would go something like this: night time: 249. Morning: 246. So, I would know that if I got a good night's sleep and peed in the morning, I'd be down anywhere from 2-5 pounds, depending on the time of the month for me.

The NEW me has some seriously weird scale readings and I'm just kind of wondering why. Last night, the scale said 226. Okay, fine. This morning, after I went to the bathroom, it said 225.5. Okay. That's fine, too. THEN, I walked for 4 miles and the scale said 223.5!!!!!!!!! What I am wondering is

WHY ON EARTH do I weigh less after my workout???!!!???? I never have before. It doesn't make any sense. I can even chug a bottle of Water and I'll still weigh less after the workout.

It was NEVER like this before. Is this weird?

It's not important. I'm just curious. I really like my post-exercise weigh-in weight. hahaa! :thumbup:

For what it is worth....I always weigh less after a long hard walk in the morning. I can only think it is the buckets of sweat that pour off of me.

I don't know why - although at my gym, they refuse to weigh you after a work out - for my monthly weigh in there, I have to get weighed before I do anything! They don't ask when I last ate or drank though!

I drink a lot of Water during a workout, but I also sweat a great deal (or is it "glow" :thumbup:), so I would think that both would impact the scales.

I am like you in terms of weight, although when my weight doesn't change a whole lot from the night before, I can usually tell that I am retaining some Water. My left ankle is always swollen when I am retaining water. I always weigh the most before I go to bed, the least when I first get up, after going to the bathroom.

yes san i did the same thing last month i felt like my scale was punking me..lol not to worry your doing ok maybe your muscle was flexin upwards.

I am definitely a SCALE-ADDICT! I hate my scale, i love my scale, i hate my scale. two weeks ago, i broke my scale because I hadn't lost anything and I was so angry I stomped on it and thus, broke it. I had no control over what I was doing,, it just happened before I could rationalize or anything! So then i though, -OK cool, now I don't have to be obsessed with a scale because it's broken. Later that day, i ran to Target and bought another one.

Not sure how to get over this. also, I didn't realize that we weigh less after working out. wooohoo, i will be doing that now.

SELF CONFESSED Scale addict..

278/229/180

I'm in denial. I'm not a scale addict. :biggrin2:

I do weigh almost every AM I have to walk right by it after leaving the toilet so I jump on and see what it says. I also will jump on periodically through-out the day if I think about it. Not too often I do that though. I will sometimes weigh before bed too.

Thursdays seem to be the bad day as far as jumping on the scale every time I visit the BR. I have my class that night (Insurance) and we WI before class so I'm constantly playing with the scale that day to gauge how I might do for my "official" weekly WI. That's the only one that counts right now. The class ends the middle of next month and I might be having surgery that month too so I don't see an end to the obsession just yet!

I don't get too wound up in what it says though since the scale is going to vary greatly throughout the day. The only time it matters is really Thursday evening for class and the AM when I'm done with the class.

I would think we weigh less after a workout, due to sweating. But I don't really know. I've never weighed more often than first thing in the morning. Anything else seems like a false weight to me, so why do I need to worry about it? The only consistent weight, I think, is first thing in the morning, after going to the bathroom (best scenario is if there is a morning bowel movement.... I know that sounds a little personal but come on, I'm not the only one who thinks that way!), stark naked, before drinking any Water, taking Vitamins, etc. To me, that's the only way to get a consistently accurate weight and nothing else matters.

But.... just in the last week or so I've finally broken the habit of weighing myself every day. It was driving me fricken CRAZY and I just couldn't take it anymore. Before I was even half awake every morning I was thinking about the scale, wondering what it would reveal. If my weight didn't go down, I was bummed --- over analyzing what I'd eaten and done the day before. And if it went up by a quarter of a pound, my whole day was ruined. What a way to live..... not! And not very healthy, and for me the whole idea of getting the band was to start living a healthier life. It was a very hard habit to break but now I am feeling a whole lot better, and I've been able to just make healthy choices and move on with my life. Let the pounds fall in the background, sort of.

It's only been a week. I hope I can keep it up. But we'll see.

Well, I DO sweat quite a bit . . . but I seriously doubt I am sweating 2 pounds worth. I mean, that's a LOT of sweat. LOL!

Nance, I am with you. I need to get over this scale addiction. I've pondered having my husband lock up my scale and only getting it out for me at pre-designated times. But I haven't had the courage.

I guess if I can go from being a food addict to a scale addict, then it's not that bad. I think my husband was afraid that if I didn't have the food, I'd turn into an alcoholic or something like that and so far I haven't . . . so maybe I should just stick with the scale. :ohmy:

The body is a truly fickle wierd thing. I can weigh in the morning when I get up, have a decent BM and weight MORE. WTF??? How is that even possible? I can weigh in the morning, and be like 195. I take a sip of orange juice to get my meds down, pee and then weigh like 198. How is that possible?????? I give up even trying to figure it out. It's like an alien occupies my body immediately after I wake up. I know it sounds immpossible, but it happens all the time, so it's not coincidence. I've been on a plateau for 3 solid months now, and am so disgusted I just want to scream anyway. I feel like the Gods are LAUGHING at me......