Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I decide NOT to get a fill?

I had my 3rd fill about a month ago. I'm happy with the restriction I have and I don't want to be any tighter. My doc said that with one more I should be where he wants me to be. Problem is... I don't want to be any tighter than I am.

This fill has been the biggest adjustment for me so far. Before this one I was still able to eat pretty much anything, just far less of it, and I was still losing. Now I am PB'ing often, but not often enough to think I would need an unfill. I'm trying to be really good, but something as simple as scrambled eggs got me this morning. It's almost like this fill has been a real challenge mentally for me. I don't feel like I'm ready to get another fill.

I feel like I've hit a brick wall and that if I got another fill right now I'd really be in a bad place.

Has anyone else experienced this? What helped you over the hump? Thanks!

i have a question,when did u get 2 nd fill?then 3rd?i cant wait to get my band,gl

Just tell the doctor that if you had another fill, you would be throwing up constantly. You don't have to get a fill.

Just call and tell them you don't need one. It's as simple as that. You may loosen up after you lose some more weight and the fat pad around your stomach melts away. That's when you need a fill. When you find you can eat anything you want, and way more than you should, then get another one!

Just a quick thought for you. I have only had one fill and I feel now like I can pretty much eat anything except scrambled eggs. I don't know why but if I eat scrabmled eggs, I feel yucky and unable to eat the rest of the day. I talk to another lady on here that said she can't eat them either. Not saying that's all of your trouble but you might not be able to eat them either. Good luck!!!

scrambled eggs do seem to be a problem for a lot of people. They don't give me any trouble. I always take little tiny bites of whatever I am eating though.

Misty - it is your body and your decision. If you want to stay where you are for awhile tell your surgeon you have decided not to fill until you feel like you need it. As long as you are still losing weight all is good.

Surgeons are human and yours may want extraordinary results to feed his/her ego, but if you are losing 2 pounds a week you are doing great, are losing weight in a healthy manner and should stick to your guns. I respect my surgeon but ultimately all decisions about my health and my body are mine. Doen't be afraid to stand up for yourself - you should never be pressed into something that makes you uncomfortable.

Misty - it is your body and your decision. If you want to stay where you are for awhile tell your surgeon you have decided not to fill until you feel like you need it. As long as you are still losing weight all is good.

Surgeons are human and yours may want extraordinary results to feed his/her ego, but if you are losing 2 pounds a week you are doing great, are losing weight in a healthy manner and should stick to your guns. I respect my surgeon but ultimately all decisions about my health and my body are mine. Doen't be afraid to stand up for yourself - you should never be pressed into something that makes you uncomfortable.

Hear hear! (or is it here? I don't know... :thumbup:)

Also, you surgeon may not realize how much the last fill has affected you, maybe he thought it wouldn't be as tight on you as it is? If you're feeling good where you're at and you're losing weight, then go ahead and postpone your fill until you drop more weight and your band becomes looser and you start missing the restriction you have now. From what I understand, the point where you're at right now is about where most people want to be (minus the PBing, of course, but that will probably get better as you lose just a bit more weight and the band becomes a tiny bit looser, if you don't want an unfull).

Good luck!!!!

Add me to the list of those who have problems with scrambled eggs. I had received 2 fills in a 14ml AP-L band - the first fill was 3.5 and the second added another 1 ml taking me up to 4.5ml.

I had no restriction and could eat any quantity of food. I struggled to lose weight and plateaued for a month. At my third fill, the surgeon added 2 ml more, bringing the total up to 6.5 ml.

I had gotten into a habit of eating scrambled eggs every morning - my surgeon advised limiting carbs and ensuring I had Protein at every meal. The first bite of a scrambled egg I had the day after the fill got stuck. I slimed for about an hour until I violently vomitted. I had trouble eating the rest of the day.

I'm now discovering what I can and cannot eat at this new restriction level. I don't think I'm quite at my sweet spot yet, but I'm pretty close.

Others had commented that they feel most restrcited in the morning and the band loosens up throughout the day. This has been my experience as well.

Anyone have any suggestions for a quick, simple, high Protein Breakfast that will keep me satieted? Scrambled eggs used to do it for me, but they're on the "off limits" list right now. Protein shakes go down easy, but don't give me that "full" feeling.

Thanks,

Mike

It's definitely your choice whether or not you get a fill. Just politely tell your doctor you don't need one. Surely it won't be problem.

I can't do scrambled eggs either. Even when I didn't have restriction and could eat things like pizza and sandwiches, I couldn't do scrambled eggs. I didn't PB, but it's the only time I thought I might. I think it's just one of those things I won't be able to eat.

Misty, I absolutely agree -- you get to call the shots as far as telling your doctor you're not comfortable with another fill. When you're ready, you'll know.

MikeB, I sometimes struggle with scrambled eggs, so I frequently do Protein bars. My fave right now is Muscle Milk Light (chocolate peanut caramel or vanilla toffee crunch) -- they have 15g Protein, 170 cals, 18g carbs. They're very tasty and keep me pretty satisfied.

Also, I made an old South Beach breakfast - mock danish in a bowl. You scramble one egg with 1/2c cottage cheese, a few drops vanilla, some cinnamon, a packet of sweetener, and then top it with a couple dabs of margarine, a few chunks of low-fat cream cheese, and a sprinkling of brown sugar Splenda. Microwave for 3.5 minutes. It's very tasty, lots of protein, and doesn't seem to bother me like scrambled eggs.< /p>