Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Leak but No Restriction HELP

I was banded August 27 07 almost a year now and everything was working great i have lost 51 pounds and happy as can be then out of nowhere my band just stopped working so i went back thinking maybe its a leak and they pulled the saline out and said i had lost some so she told me to come back in two weeks to see if it leaked again and she used the fix a flat stuff well i came back two weeks later to find out i lost more so they made me get an appointment with my surgeon i see him and he checks to see if i lost saline agian but i didnt so he tells me there is no leak but he puts in a lil more and tells me to come back again in two more weeks and it still doesnt work im gaining wieght i cant stop thinking about im stressed and i need someone on here to ease my mind because my doctor is not doing a good job at telling me whats wrong all i hear is wait another two weeks IM TIREd oF WAITING I NEED ANSWERS PLEASE HELP ME

god bless

Brittany Lynn

Brittany Lynn-

I'm sorry to hear about your challenges. While I know it is frustrating, continue working with your doctors so that they can determine what is happening. If you are experiencing a loss of restriction, it could be a leak. Have your doctors ruled this out? When I was first banded, I had a very slow leak at the tubing near the port. It was almost impossible to find. They did all kinds of tests including with nuclear medicine. My surgeon finally decided just to go in and replace the port and examine the tubing. Sure enough, there was a tiny hole in the tubing that was likely caused during a very difficult fill (my port was tilted and fills were very difficult in the beginning).

If you're band isn't leaking, then I would ask your doctor to do a barium swallow test to double check your restriction and the placement of the band. It's possible that the band has shifted or that you are experiencing stretching above the band.

I can appreciate that this is bringing up frustration and fear. However, whatever it is, trust that it will be diagnosed and then you will be able to work with your doctors to determine the next steps in keeping your band in good working order.

Sending you lots of prayers for graceful resolution!!!

How many ccs do you have in your band and what size band do you have? It just sounds like you haven't hit your sweet spot yet. I would get another fill.

For what it's worth...I had a fill, was too tight, and went back in two days foran unfill. Still too tight, and went back in 5 days for an unfill. Then no restriction, so went back in 5 days for a fill. Had a fill and still no restriction so I will go back again (4 days ) for more fill. The band has it's own mind. If you are not feeling any restriction, or are having a problem, insist on being seen. You know and I know how much weight can be gained in a short time and two weeks is a long time. I know that losing weight with a good restriction is a slow process but with a problem, time feels endless. Good luck and remember...the doctors are supposed to be there for you. It is a service and you are paying for it. Good luck.

I ,too, am having fill issues. I had my 6th fill last Wed, thought it was going to be good because when I ate Soup it made all of the grumblings that I hadn't heard in months! However, two days later on solids.....NO restriction! I am a self pay and each fill is $200.......YOUCH! That can eat a paycheck quickly! So, I dunno....calling fill doc on Friday to make a fill. However, I think I will set it up after vacation! :cool2: Right now, I have been drinking Slim Fast twice a day to try and ward off any weight gain.

Any helpful hints/comments would be greatly appreciated! Oh, I haven't had any good restriction in about 2-2.5 months...

Please tell me what brand band you all have and how many cc's currently in your band.

I have an allergan APS 10 cc band with 9cc's in the band and no restriction. The Dr. has just told me he thinks my band is unlocked.

If you have close to max. fill in your band, please ask for an x-ray.

The diameter of my band looks larger than a normal closed band on x-ray and this is why my Dr. thinks it's unlocked.

Ask your Dr. to check for this. I have been told that the manufacturer has made the band easier to open on the new band so that patients that needed revision could re-use their original band and not have to buy a new one.

A friend of mine was exactly the same as you - was doing well and suddenly lost all restriction. She went back for two fills, and little was left in her band, so she was booked in for surgery to replace the port or tubing. Turned out the leak was actually in the saline chamber inside the band, so what was supposed to be a quick 15 minutes fix turned into a 3 hour surgery to remove the old band and put in another one. Don't be fobbed off by your doctor if you don't feel any restriction, if it was there and now it isn't it needs to be investigated further. Good luck

Marion