Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Loose skin after losing weight

If you lose weight at approximately 2-5 lbs per week with the lap band will your skin shrink along with the weight loss? I am worried about my arm and leg skin - I have 50 lbs to loose but hope that with exercise I won't have to have skin removed. Thanks.

I just came from my support group and the guest speaker was a plastic surgeon. That question came up and his response was... Skin is like a balloon, once its been stretched out and you release the air, it isn't going to be as tight as it was before. If you loose a lot of weight, you're going to have a lot of skin.

The next point he made was that each person is different, meaning physical age of the skin. As we get older the skin becomes thin and not as elastic, so if a person already has thinning skin for their age, it will not tighten up. No matter the amount of exercise or loosing it slowly... in the end it will all be the same amount hanging. ( I know that disappointed me to hear)

Everyone is different, he said he's seen 40 year olds with skin of 60 year olds and vise-versa. The more elastic your skin for your age the better!

Tess

Hope this is helpful, his presentation of before and afters were unbelievable!!

50 lbs isnt' a lot to lose so you may be okay. I lost 105 lbs and had to have a Tummy Tuck.< /div>

Hey Juliegeraci!

I have only lost 44 pounds but unfortunately my skin is not elastic at all and my question is exactly how did they lift your thighs?? I know of another lady and myself that our upper inner thighs look scary!:frown: I'm right now starting to do a bunch of research on plastic surgery because even though I have just started my journey I can already tell we are going to have a problem! :biggrin: So if you don't mind sharing any info I would love to hear from you! And kudos on the weight loss! That's absolutely terrific!!

Hi Queen of Hearts. My thigh lift was $8600 and he cut me from side to side on the upper inner thigh along the butt line. To be honest with you I don't really see a difference so I am a bit disappointed. The only other way to get one is to have the incision down the thigh which looks pretty difficult for scaring and recovery. Good luck with your PS.

Hi Julie..thanks for getting back with me so soon! So what they did was kinda like pull your skin up by cutting around the bottom of your bottom and life the excess?? Well my bottom is definitely going to have to be adjusted and maybe they can kill 2 birds with one stone. :biggrin: I'll have to ask a PSurgeon and see! Thanks so much for the info!! I have heard about the up and down cuts and I don't think that would be a very pleasant site..yours sounds better but I'm really saddened to hear you aren't happy with it. Does he have a money back guarantee?? :frown: Just kidding..but I know that some Psurgeons have an insurance policy you can purchase for that very reason. Thanks again!!

i am new and the other night i watched a video off this section and i can't find it now---would someone direct me to it again----by the way i go the 23rd for my big day---i am 39 bmi right now--i am 61 years old ---

I have lost 65 1bs so far and I don't have a lot of loose skin. However, I have some stomach and I have been using this reshaping garment for it. This reshaping garment also helps to reduce your stomach by two sizes. I learned about the reshaping garment at a women's conference. I am using it and it works. I am now a distributor. If anyone want to know more about these reshaping garments please email me at eulete@yahoo.com for further information.

Thanks

Eulete Patrick