Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Menstrual prob

So ever since I had my surgery, my hormones have been going crazy. I have abnormal menstruals. Some months, I can have my period twice or sometimes they will last up to 10 days. I spoke to my doctor and he says its okay... that I will regulate. But PMS-ing is not soo fun. Sometimes I'm so heavy that I feel like I was 16 years old all over again. And the cramps are horrible. Anybody get this way??:eek:

Me TOO!!! Because of my weight I was hardly having periods. My last was in Februrary (nice Valentines Day Surprise) I finally got one two weeks ago (this time for my Anniversary) and I thought I was going to die. I even had to take time off work for it. Cramps, Migraines, nausea, ridiculous hunger, and enough flow to almost make me pass out with anemia. The whole package. But I have to admit I was rejoicing in most all of it, because the reason I had this procedure was to be able to have babies in a healthy way. Getting a period again (no matter how miserable it was) means that I am fertile again. WOOT!!!

Jennifer, Do you have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome? I do, and am hoping after surgery and weight loss, my cycle will somehow regulate itself.:eek:

Jennifer, Do you have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome? I do, and am hoping after surgery and weight loss, my cycle will somehow regulate itself.:eek:

I don't know. I have never been diagnosed with that. Usually when I go to see my gyny (which is once a year) they just tell me to lose weight and I will be fine. When I am smaller, I do have regular periods.

I have weird menstral cycle as well, some months 2 a month then some times they are 2 months apart, I also get told the same just loose weight and the cycle will regulate it self!

PMS sucks and blows though for sure!

KiKi XX

My period used to be regular regardless of my size, but since the surgery, it's messed - I usually have 2 a month. My doctor says that the loss of body fat can cause your body to freak a little, and mess up your cycle. She wasnt overly concerned about it, but said we could try to sort it out with progestrone cream - she the cream for two months to see if it helps, then she'll test my levels to see if I'm getting back to normal.

Month one did nothing, but I think it may have to build up a little.

We'll see how it goes. And I do (literally) feel your pain!

Tina

Well as a nurse I can tell you all that abnormal periods for a while after weight loss surgery is normal because you are losing and your body doesn't know how to react. As a 33 year old banded on 4/28/08 who has not had a period since March 2007 due to PCOS I am home today nauseated and crampy hoping it is a sign of a return. I have lost about 50 lbs since last October and 12 since my surgery which is suppose to be improving the PCOS. Lets keep our fingers crossed. The only time I ever had normal periods was shen I was on the pill and for a couple years after when my weight hovered around 200. I am at 217 now so I am near that place.

Oh yeah, this is me exactly. I have been getting it twice a month, lasting from 10-22 days. I have PCOS though. So my dr put me on some medication and BC to regulate it.