Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 5 I will be de-banded

I am scheduled to have my band removed on June 5. I am nervous but ready to have this taken care of. I haven't eaten out in a LONG time, because I get sick with even a small bite of food.

My doctor has suggested a duodenal switch in the future for me.He says at this point he just wants to get me to where I'm not sick and throwing up. The last bout with gastritis about did me in.

I dont know what to expect...but at this point..I will be brave and do what I must to regain my health.

I am scheduled to have my band removed on June 5. I am nervous but ready to have this taken care of. I haven't eaten out in a LONG time, because I get sick with even a small bite of food.

My doctor has suggested a duodenal switch in the future for me.He says at this point he just wants to get me to where I'm not sick and throwing up. The last bout with gastritis about did me in.

I dont know what to expect...but at this point..I will be brave and do what I must to regain my health.

Browneyez,

I hope you get better soon and you will be in my prayers!

Ouch -- I'm so sorry! I hope you will feel better as soon as it's out.

I just had my band removed this Saturday and I'm thrilled. I can't wait to be able to go out with friends for a salad and not excuse myself to throw up all the time. I applaud you!:)

I was banded in Mexico and have also had extreme problems with vomiting and I am completely unfilled. I am having problems with having an American doctor who will remove my band and I do not feel comfortable going back to Mexico. Anyone have suggestions?

Faithstep - we have exactly the same problem. I went to the emercency room (unable to keep Water down) an they wouldn't touch me but after 3 days I finally got to the lapband doctor who said he would remove it for me so now I'm going through the steps to get a referral to him via my insurance. I am absolutely miserable physically and mentally. Maybe you should try the emergency room where a lapband doc practices. good luck.

ps I do hae to say it's not because of my dr that I dont want to go back to mexico it's the money and the travel.

Hello. I was unbanded about 10 days ago. I am SO happy to be able to enjoy a salad or a sandwich without throwing up for hours. My insurance is fighting paying for the removal (had my gall bladder out at the same time) but the only exclusion is for surgical obesity treatment, and I have a letter of medical necessity due to esophagitis, gastritis, duodenal spasms, and gall stones - we shall see. Thankfully my surgeon was good enough to see how ill I was and go ahead and take care of business. I am a bit sore from the gall bladder removal, but not an ache or pain from the band removal. Good luck.

remove the band!! It's so unhealthy living like that. I did for 6 months and it almost killed me. I starting turning yellow because my liver wasn't functioning properly. Get the band out and feel better. Nothing is worth it.

Hello. I was unbanded about 10 days ago. I am SO happy to be able to enjoy a salad or a sandwich without throwing up for hours. My insurance is fighting paying for the removal (had my gall bladder out at the same time) but the only exclusion is for surgical obesity treatment, and I have a letter of medical necessity due to esophagitis, gastritis, duodenal spasms, and gall stones - we shall see. Thankfully my surgeon was good enough to see how ill I was and go ahead and take care of business. I am a bit sore from the gall bladder removal, but not an ache or pain from the band removal. Good luck.

So tell me, was the exit surgery pretty much the same experience as the install surgery? I get mine out next Thursday, and thought maybe it would be easier because at least you'd get some strength from eating, unlike the first time, where you're trying to heal on apple juice.

I have had no pain from the removal. I also had my gall bladder out and that did cause some minimal pain. I feel great, I was able to eat normally within 2 days.

Please be brave and remember that your health is what is most important..I was bebanded also in March..Now I try my best and watch what I eat and go to KIckboxing 5x a wk and started jogging 9 miles a wk,

GOOD LUCK TO YOU and we support you all the way

:eek:Everyone I know that has has the lap band.. Has been dis-satisfied with it ! In most cases.. it does what it is supposed to, BUT.. the side effects are the HUGE negative. When I was contemplating My choice of surgery, I very quickly Ruled out the lap band First off,

The next "OFF my list" was The D.S. !!

I then thought i needed the Mini-Bypass, ( I chose Dr.Alberto Aceves, BTW ) And he voiced his concerns, With my BMI ...saying,.. At my weight at the time..He didn't feel it was safe to perform the Mini ByPass, and Then Suggested I consider the gastric Sleeve, .. SO.. I did some more research.. and agreed the sleeve was for me.. It was less Invasive,.. NO FILLS or adjustments, Less risk, Faster recovery, And what I liked the best.. None of the mal-Absorption issues or Dumping syndrome. It has Now been 6 month since my Gastric Sleeve, And I have lost over 115 lbs !! I am eating healthier, and am OFF all The Meds I was On !! and I don't need that #$%ing C-PAP machine.. which i could Never use anyway ! I have 2 close friends.. That are getting a revision.. ( removing their bands and getting the sleeve Like me !

:biggrin:THANK YOU DR. ACEVES !!!!!:tongue2:

Edited by RavenLunatic

Well done, Ravenlunatic. You did what everyone should do, research, talk to the doc and make a choice.

Congratulations on your success. :tongue2:

Browneyez, My prayers and thoughts are with you! I hope your surgery went well. When you feel better get back in contact with us. I am setting up an appt with my dr this week to discuss removal. I have so much peace in my mind and I know this is the right thing for me. I just have concerns about the cost. I have insurance, but I am not sure if my complications will be covered. Anyway, I wish you a speedy recovery. Stay in touch!

MustangSally

It's been two months since I've had my band removed and I'm healthier, happier and feeling 1000 times better. I have not gained any weight back and am maintaining my 50 pound loss. I still have 30 pounds left to lose but I will gladly do that on my own with diet and exercise. I still don't eat as much as I did before and make healthier selections. The removal of the lap band was fairly easy. I had the surgery on Saturday and was back to work on Monday. EVERYONE I know that has had the lap band surgery wants it out and that's over 20 people. What does that tell you! I'm sure there are a few people that were fitted properly that can still eat and are doing well but the majority that I know of, are not happy at all. Hang in there!:party: