Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Info. Session Jitters

I have my info. session at 6pm tonight at NYU. I have the jitters and I do not know why - and not excited butterfly jitters more the unhappy kind. I guess that going to a meeting is another step in admitting I need help, but in front of others kinda scares me. Anyone felt the same way before their info session?:glare:

Hi there, NYU was the 1st info session I went to (I'm going to my 5th and last this week @ mt sinai) and yes I was jittery too. I think part of it was just the fact that I had really made a decision to have this surgery done, and part that I was admitting that I was sufering with being "big boned". THe best part about NYU is that there had to be 100 people there and at least 50 were for the surgery. That gave me a lot of comfort. Enjoy and tell me how it went for you what you thought, I'm still comparing all these places and could use the input

gigi

Really, you are going to your 5th! How did you like the others? Where were they? Once I was there I felt better. I also found it interesting that you have overweight people in movie theater seating :blushing: But it was comforting to know that it was not only me but admitting the issue in front of others is very difficult.

Dr. Ren came highly recommended by my gastroenterologist. Dr. Fielding gave the seminar and he seemed nice. I am still considering the surgery but am still on the fence. I have also yet to contact my insurance company (Anthem BC/BS) to see if this is covered and what I would have to do. It seemed a bit sales pitchy at times but I guess that is part of the game. They did give good information and gave me more information to look at and diferent perspective to look at.

I do not know what would put one hospital above the other so I would like to know why you are exploring many options - have you not been happy with the places you have seen? My brother had the Lap Band done at Columbia Presbyterian and all went well for him.

I am interested in your thoughts. Thanks!

I know I'm a little crazy.Part of the problem is that i've worked at many of the hospitals., that and the convenience factor. I live 3 blocks from methodist hospital I went to NYU nursing school Maimonides is fairly close, my isster had fibroid sugery @ lenox hill and right now even though I work @ elmhurst hospital in queens my paycheck is fromn Mt Sinai and we have a shuttle between the hopsital so I'm thinkin Kunch time "fills". Craziness .

NYU- seemed a little factory like biut when my mom needed hip replcement I told her go to a place where that's all they do and It was a good suggestion so NYU feels like that to meMickey D's of lap bands, but the surgeons seem nice.

Methodist - just one surgeon and he seems to do many more bypasses than lap bands and wheb I asked him he didn't seem thrilled to even talk about the lap band for high BMI - mine is 50- so though convenient that's out

Lenox hill- went inb thinking I don't wanrt to come monthly to the upper east side with all these skinny rich people- but actually I really liked the surgeonther's a tema of three so the waiting lkist isn't forever and they do the lap bamd often enough and seem to go with pt preference - plus they will try and schedule psych nutri and sugeon appt all on same day , pl;us he seems to almost relish getting the insurances to pay

Maimonides - well another factory 2 surgeons - neither of which felt it important enough for them to come to the information session - paper work was very together and the pa seemed nice enough but that not showing up really ticked me off a little

Last and to be done is Mt Sinai- again it's that I work "for the same place" possible convenience, the doc has set up and kept up a web site which i think is pretty cool, very focused on taking care of insurance for you (which is a big plus in my book)will see how the surgeons seem to me and by friday will be calling one of the practices and moving along.

I'm like this in a lot of things - i want to try and make sure I'm comfortable in situations. Like you i notice the seat for info sessions the paperwork has been xeroxed so many times you can't even read it anymoreand gut feelings mean something to me. I'm sure I'd be fine @ any of them. i'm just making this MY journey.

gigi