Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doctor suggests an ongoing (forever) diet that includes Protein Shakes.< /p>

I travel every month or so for my job and most of the trips are from one coast to another. Long flights, long days (usually with a connecting flight in another city on the way).

With the new Homeland Security rules about carrying on liquids (no more than can fit into a food storage bag and no more than 3 ounces per item), I am wondering how others in the same situation are handling this?

Are there appropriate shakes sold at airport shops?

I suppose I could go with a powder, but I don't think those are as tasty and then instead of carrying just a shake, I have the powder and the mix cup and the bottle of Water.< /p>

Think my physician could write a note for me to show to the security people?

And while I'm on the topic -- if anyone has any other travel advice, I'd love to have it, too.

Thank you in advance.

Hi, I travel frequently as well and have found gas stations/mini marts to be a great resource when I travel.

I use barf bags often and asked my doc. He explained that air travel can make the restriction greater. I drink Clear Liquids in flight so I won't get a stain.

West coast to east coast is only 5 hours or so and if I eat before I fly I can go without food during the flight as I've found it's head hunger- boredom- that causes me to want to eat.

To answer your question, I have heard of getting a script so you can take on things like ensure and other diet supplements. But I don't know about taking more than 1 or 2 as you can buy more when you reach your destination. And they have powder mixes available - although that may be a tad messy to try to add Water and shake in flight.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. You are doing great!

With the new Homeland Security rules about carrying on liquids (no more than can fit into a food storage bag and no more than 3 ounces per item), I am wondering how others in the same situation are handling this? You won't need a Protein supplement during the time it takes for your flight. Even with international flights, it doesn't kill you to wait. Just put some pre-mixed Protein drinks into checked luggage. Yes, checking luggage sucks, but if you need Protein, it's worth it.

Are there appropriate shakes sold at airport shops? Not really. Sometimes if you can find something organic-based they will offer protein supplements in their smoothies or blended drinks, but you're better off just eating something with protein in it.

I suppose I could go with a powder, but I don't think those are as tasty and then instead of carrying just a shake, I have the powder and the mix cup and the bottle of Water. If you're that concerned about not going a few hours withour protein, put some protein Water mixes in your carry-on. They're small and aren't against the rules. Or - like I said earlier, don't worry too much about it while you're at the airport. Any city with an airport will have a Wal-Mart or Target, just stop en route from the airport and get some pre-mades. Then you don't have to carry anything. But really, going coast to coast is going to take maybe 6 hours, 7. Give or take depending on the day. It won't hurt you to go without protein for that long. And if it does, just eat something. Does your surgeon REQUIRE you to like drink a Protein Drink every hour or something?

Think my physician could write a note for me to show to the security people? I don't think it's necessary, nor am I sure it would make a difference. The only exception I've seen work was medications (e.g. insulin).

Edited by Wheetsin

I think parents are allowed to carry formula for babies so I would think that asking your doctor for a prescription type note might be worth a try. I saw one lady who was allowed to carry some type of liquid on a plane with the proper documentation so it can be done. I would start by contacting your local Homeland Security office at the airport and ask what you need to do.

His belief is that people who have the most success stick with three meals each day with one or two of those "meals" being a Protein drink.

Why does your dr. recommend an ongoing (forever) diet including regular Protein shakes? My dr. wants me (once I'm out of the liquid phase) to have a diet of regular food and very few Protein Shakes. I think i'd go nuts if I had to drink protein shakes forever.

Actually, my flight days are much longer than that because I don't live near a major city; I usually have a long time between connecting flights -- the result can be 10 hours of airport time. In the winter months, there is a great chance that flights are delayed (or even canceled) and I want to make sure I'm prepared.

I will probably try having real food during the flight. I'm not at all concerned about when I reach my destination -- I always stop some place for Water and other things on the way to the hotel.

Thank you for the responses.

With the new Homeland Security rules about carrying on liquids (no more than can fit into a food storage bag and no more than 3 ounces per item), I am wondering how others in the same situation are handling this? You won't need a Protein supplement during the time it takes for your flight. Even with international flights, it doesn't kill you to wait. Just put some pre-mixed Protein drinks into checked luggage. Yes, checking luggage sucks, but if you need protein, it's worth it.

Are there appropriate shakes sold at airport shops? Not really. Sometimes if you can find something organic-based they will offer protein supplements in their smoothies or blended drinks, but you're better off just eating something with protein in it.

I suppose I could go with a powder, but I don't think those are as tasty and then instead of carrying just a shake, I have the powder and the mix cup and the bottle of Water. If you're that concerned about not going a few hours withour protein, put some protein water mixes in your carry-on. They're small and aren't against the rules. Or - like I said earlier, don't worry too much about it while you're at the airport. Any city with an airport will have a Wal-Mart or Target, just stop en route from the airport and get some pre-mades. Then you don't have to carry anything. But really, going coast to coast is going to take maybe 6 hours, 7. Give or take depending on the day. It won't hurt you to go without protein for that long. And if it does, just eat something. Does your surgeon REQUIRE you to like drink a Protein Drink every hour or something?

Think my physician could write a note for me to show to the security people? I don't think it's necessary, nor am I sure it would make a difference. The only exception I've seen work was medications (e.g. insulin).

I had my band put in Oct 10ccband. First fill blind poke three tries 3cc in. Second two pokes dig dig 3cc in, third three pokes dig dig 1ccin RESTRICTION!!! Ya good weight loss happy. Fourth wanted to tweak a little only had restriction in the morning fill 1cc five pokes dig dig. Next day no restriction I think I have a leak. Drive another 200 miles for fluoro and she is able to get 5cc out I should have 8cc plus doc put in 2cc at time of surgery (that is 10 in a 10cc band) she adds 1cc more Fill # Five now I should have 11cc no restriction at all I have a leak. She said sometimes the tube collapses and you can’t get a true read. She said you don’t have a leak because I got something out. They don’t want to take any responsibility for f-ing it up. The obvious problem with having bands in Mexico is the after care. I knew this and yet chose to go for it. If I go back to my doc it is $2500 to replace port and tube. Then what who do I have do the fills? I should have had a sleeve that is what my doc is famous for and there would have been no fills, no leak and it was $2000 more than a band so in the long run cheaper after you factor in the cost of fills and heart ache!! ANYONE OUT THERE DO NOT HAVE NORTH WEST FILL CENTER IN ARLINGTON WASHINGTON DO YOUR FILLS. QUACKS!!!

So where do I go from here?? Right now after I beat myself up I am doing nothing can’t afford it so I am trying on denial to convince myself that I have restriction. Any suggestions???

Even 10 hours won't hurt you. But if you really need Protein, the Protein Water mixes will still work. They're about the size of a tube packet of sugar.

Best of luck in your travels. Airport food seems to be hit or miss in terms of band friendliness. (I tend to average 3 flights a month, so I wish it were not the case).