Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breast Reduction (When can I go back to work?)

What is the least amount of time off you think is POSSIBLE for my light desk job?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What is the least amount of time off you think is POSSIBLE for my light desk job?

• one week off work (avoiding filing for several more weeks)
    • two weeks off work
    • three weeks off work
    • other (please explain below)

I am looking to have a breast reduction as soon as I can manage to get enough time off. But there is the question, How much time will I really need?

I have a very light duty desk job and a history of going back to work much sooner than the doctors say it will take.

My Surgery History:

Gallbladder: Docs said 1-month, I missed only 2 days work.

C-Section: Docs said 6 weeks, I was back part-time after one week, full time after 2 weeks

Lap Band: Docs said 2-4 weeks, I took a week off to get past some of the early diet restrictions but could easily have gone back to work in a couple days.

Tummy Tuck: Docs said 6 weeks, Part time after one week full time after 3 weeks.

I'd like to have the surgery on Wednesday May 21nd and be back to work by the following Teusday or Wednesday. With Memorial Day in their I'd only end up missing 3-4 days of work.

I'm not asking if this time table is sane just if it sounds even possible keeping in mind my past experiences.

What do you think?

I should explain one of the reasons I'm in a rush to do it in May is so that it will be done in time for a trip I will be making to Vegas the last weekend in June. I'd really like to have it done before then so I can look my best for the event and more importantly so I can do a little clothes shopping while I'm there. But if I'm going to need more than a week off I'll probably need to wait until this fall.

I am one stubborn red head. I don't take risks with lifting requirements but if I'm well enough to sit on a couch and watch the telly I figure I'm up to sitting in front of a computer at least for half a day. I live close enough to work that after my Tummy Tuck I even had the boss come pick me up in my pj's to come in for a couple hours before my drains were even removed.

I had my breast implants repositioned April 3rd (my original surgery was Feb. 21) and went to work the very next day, very sore but nothing I could not handle.

I had my breast implants repositioned April 3rd (my original surgery was Feb. 21) and went to work the very next day, very sore but nothing I could not handle.

Now I am not overly certain what breast implant reposition entails in comparison to breast reduction but my personal experience with a breast reduction was... 3 weeks off (my doctor wouldn't sign a back to work form until 3 weeks). I would say two weeks at the earliest. Myself, I was BIG (G or H) and because I was so big they had to completely detach and reattach my nipples and they took off 10lbs total. I couldn't have imagined going back to work sooner than 2-3 weeks myself. Good luck!

I am an F or G. The doc talked about removing around 4-5 pounds. I know I'm probably pushing it to go back after one week but shoot if I can go back to work part time after a C-section and the subsequent lack of sleep from an infant at home I'd like to think I could manage going back to a desk job after my drains were out.

My poor DH & work are getting a bit weary of all my medical issues (LB surgery, then TT, now this.) even if they are for the better.

I had a breast lift with implants on the Feb. 21st and my implants never moved down so I had to have another surgery 6 weeks later April 3rd to take out the implant open the bottom pocket of my breast and put the implants back in, in a lower position its uncomfortable but not painful, I work as a secretary so I don't to any lifting or pushing at work its all computer work.

I had a breast lift with implants on the Feb. 21st and my implants never moved down so I had to have another surgery 6 weeks later April 3rd to take out the implant open the bottom pocket of my breast and put the implants back in, in a lower position its uncomfortable but not painful, I work as a secretary so I don't to any lifting or pushing at work its all computer work.

Ouch, sounds painful..are you happy with the final results?

I am an F or G. The doc talked about removing around 4-5 pounds. I know I'm probably pushing it to go back after one week but shoot if I can go back to work part time after a C-section and the subsequent lack of sleep from an infant at home I'd like to think I could manage going back to a desk job after my drains were out.

My poor DH & work are getting a bit weary of all my medical issues (LB surgery, then TT, now this.) even if they are for the better.

I am an F (I sometimes wear a DDD, but it is dangerous if you get my drift) and I REALLY want a reduction. Do you know if this is typically covered by insurance? If so, how do you start the process? Do I have to have a history of visiting the Dr. about back ache's because i'm not one to complain and have not seen a Dr. about this, but have been getting therapeutic massage for the past 1 1/2 years (and my insurance pays for it!) and I would KILL for smaller boobies. :)

While insurance coveragecontinues to get harder and harder, my experience is that breast reduction continues to be among the easiest to be covered. Most insurance companies rely on the amount of breast tissue removed to be the major determinant of coverage.

Typically, if 500 grams of breast tissue is removed from each breast, most insurance companies will cover the procedure, without needing any other documentation (histor of back pain, neck pain, rashes, etc.) This amount is not hard to get, especially if you are DD or greater and will be reduced to a full C. Your doctor should be able to estimate the amount of beast tissue that he will be removing.

There is good and bad in relation to this criteria-

the good: no need to document things like back pain/rashes/neck pain, which we all know is difficult to quantify, and as shocking as this may sound, many people lie about it.

the bad: The final determination will have to be made AFTER the surgery and the amount removed will have to be contained in the official operative report. Like I said, your doctor should be able to estimate the amount he will remove, so there should be no mystery about coverage.

Check with your insurance carrier about the specific guidelines, and then check with your doctor about the amount he plans on removing. 500 grams is typical for most insurance companies, but may vary slightly.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you.

While insurance coveragecontinues to get harder and harder, my experience is that breast reduction continues to be among the easiest to be covered. Most insurance companies rely on the amount of breast tissue removed to be the major determinant of coverage.

Typically, if 500 grams of breast tissue is removed from each breast, most insurance companies will cover the procedure, without needing any other documentation (histor of back pain, neck pain, rashes, etc.) This amount is not hard to get, especially if you are DD or greater and will be reduced to a full C. Your doctor should be able to estimate the amount of beast tissue that he will be removing.

There is good and bad in relation to this criteria-

the good: no need to document things like back pain/rashes/neck pain, which we all know is difficult to quantify, and as shocking as this may sound, many people lie about it.

the bad: The final determination will have to be made AFTER the surgery and the amount removed will have to be contained in the official operative report. Like I said, your doctor should be able to estimate the amount he will remove, so there should be no mystery about coverage.

Check with your insurance carrier about the specific guidelines, and then check with your doctor about the amount he plans on removing. 500 grams is typical for most insurance companies, but may vary slightly.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you.

Thank you for your help, you are so helpful with these questions and we all appreciate it!!

Yes, Thankyou Dr S. I was going to suggest something similar from my own experience but I am no expert, just a patient.

But what is your opinion on my time off work considering I just have a sit down job and usually have the attitude if I can sit in front of a TV recovering why not get paid to sit in front of my computer?

Yes, Thankyou Dr S. I was going to suggest something similar from my own experience but I am no expert, just a patient.

But what is your opinion on my time off work considering I just have a sit down job and usually have the attitude if I can sit in front of a TV recovering why not get paid to sit in front of my computer?

I think you should be prepared to be out of work for 2 weeks. It maybe slightly less, but you have to see how you feel. There will be little discomfort after the first few days - actually, most people find beast reduction surgery quite tolerable.

The thing to keep in mind is that your body uses a lot of energy to heal the wounds, so even if you don't have pain, you will feel tired for several weeks.

Many of my patients with a desk job go back to work after 1 week, but it all depends on your situation and yor recovery. I would advise you to ask for 2 weeks, knowing that you may return sooner.

For breast reduction pictures, click here - Breast Reduction | Madison Avenue Plastic Surgery

Mischievous - I am having BR on June 3rd. All I did was go to one of the plastic surgeons on my insurance plans. I went 2/25 to get assessed. They took pictures and told me they'd call if I got approval. They did everything with the insurance. They called in early April and said I got approval. When I first made the appointment they said to bring in any documentation I had of back or neck pain but that I didn't really need it. Less than 30 days away, I'm terrified!!!!

I think you should be prepared to be out of work for 2 weeks. It maybe slightly less, but you have to see how you feel. There will be little discomfort after the first few days - actually, most people find beast reduction surgery quite tolerable.

The thing to keep in mind is that your body uses a lot of energy to heal the wounds, so even if you don't have pain, you will feel tired for several weeks.

Many of my patients with a desk job go back to work after 1 week, but it all depends on your situation and yor recovery. I would advise you to ask for 2 weeks, knowing that you may return sooner.

For breast reduction pictures, click here - Breast Reduction | Madison Avenue Plastic Surgery

Yeah that looks my me without a bra on...I would love to have her after photos, that makes my back and shoulders feel better Just looking at it! The after pictures aren't that small either, what size was the patient after the surgery?