Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone a reader???

hrv

I love love love to read...my most rescent literary obsession has been vampire novels(strong silent sexy vampires not the mean ones). Just wondering what ya'll like to read.

Novels? what are these things you speak of? Here is my current reading list: my stats book, my accounting book, my math book. And for fun, I'm reading a book on malicous mobile code.

Although while I was recovering from my surgery I read a wonderful trashy fantasy novel, the latest in the Sword of Truth series....

Did my college time..now I read for fun...my philosophy is that a little gratuitous (sp?) smut never hurt anybody:)

I love to read... I like Stephen King, Clive Barker, John Saul, Dean Koontz... and I like to read Cosmo articles. hehe

Although while I was recovering from my surgery I read a wonderful trashy fantasy novel, the latest in the Sword of Truth series....

I tried this series, and liked the first one a lot. But I was totally out off by the excessive violence in the second one. I LOVE good fantasy (I'm a total LOTR geek), but nothing has ever held a candle to Tolkien for me. Any ideas?

As for other books, well, I like historical novels and westerns. Weird, huh? I'll ready anything by Elizabeth George or Larry McMurtry. I also like Anita Shreve but found my tastes really changed after I had children. I just canNOT handle anything that involves missing or dead children. (Did anyone read The Weight of Water? Man, that killed me.)

Do I like to read? books are like air to me. There's always a big stack of them next to my bed. And I'm a magazine junkie--I think I have subscriptions to twenty or so. But now that I don't commute anymore I have a very hard time reading it all. Our bathrooms never want for reading material! :)

Alex, if you like historical novels, you might like the Children of the (fill in the blank) I believe the first one was Children of the Wolf. They are written by a wife/husband team who are both anthropologist or archiologiests. The first one is set when the Ice Bridge still exsisted between Russa and Alaska. Very enjoyable reads.

TrishS, I've read everything Dean Koontz has ever written... I just love him.

I love to read when I can find the time. I just picked up Firefly Summer By Maeve Binchy. I hope it's a good read, going to have my husband bring out the swing to put back in the front yard so I can sit out. (hopefully it won't snow)

I Use to have all of Stephen Kings books but that was many moons ago other that that love to read just about anything.

Vinesqueen, thanks for the recommendation. That sounds perfect!!

This summer my project is to instill the same love of reading I have in my older daughter. She's reading well now, but as a 6-year-old she's pretty busy with other things and reading for fun isn't high on her list. So this summer we're going to read some of the Little House on the Prairie series and she can discover the magical world that exists between the pages of a good book.

How did you guys pick up reading as a pasttime? Or do your kids read? It astounds me how many people don't read for fun at all. Any ideas for me? (And before you ask, no, she does not and never will have a TV in her room, or own a Gameboy.)

Alex, you might get her joke and riddle books. It just about broke my heart when my son told me that he didn't like to read. My sister bought him some joke and riddle books, and now he's hooked! He's now hooked on reading -- to the point of getting in trouble in classes for reading.

I taught myself to read when I was four, so I can't really answer your question. Or perhaps I just did? Until I left for my exile, we used to read to each other all the time. My mother read all the Little House books to us when I was a kid, and that is probably one of my best memories. (no one was shouting, hitting, screaming or otherwise causing chaos or mayhem....)

OHHHHH............I love this thread!!! I read every chance I get. Everyone at work call me the book lady cause I ALWAYS have a book with me. As of yesterday I just finished the 5th installment in the Harry Potter series. I know - I am 34 years old but let me tell ya I love Harry Potter!!! I can't WAIT for the 6th one to come out - already have it on pre-order. But prior to that I read a book called "The 5 People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom. It was a beautiful book and I would suggest reading it to anyone. It will touch your heart and make you think!!! Now I am getting ready to start "The 3rd Life of Grange Copeland" by Alice Walker.

How did you guys pick up reading as a pasttime? Or do your kids read?

Alex - I remember being in school in about the 4th grade and reading "are you there God? It's me, Margarite" by Judy Blume and I fell in love with reading. THen I read THE OUTSIDERS and was REALLY HOOKED and man oh man I drove everyone crazy with wanting to have a new book. I didn't want a toy - I wanted a book!!! Ever since I have read atleast 4 books a month. Now keep in mind there are times when I do have to take a break cause real world responsibilities take over. My children love to read. Believe it or not my 8 year old read the 4th book of Harry Potter - all 700 and something pages of it. I actually couldn't believe it. When I asked her what happened in the book and what were her favorite parts I was actually astonished that she comprehended what she read. I have always read to my kids and I guess that's what made them love reading now. My 8 year old touched my heart when she said she reads casue she wants to be smart like mommy.

I too am a huge Harry Potter fan. I talked my husband into reading them, but he checked out the book on tape set instead of the books, he commutes to work at odd hours everyday. I am rereading the 5th Harry Potter book right now while I wait for the 6th to be released. I learned to read at around 3 1/2 and just before my 4th birthday I had to have surgery and when do you think I took to the hospital with me? A stack of books. Now I read everything, Cereal boxes, junk mail and most any book I can get my hands on. I work in a Tattoo shop and the winter is usually slower and I get a ton of reading time, but in the summer it is a bit busier, I may have to load some of those books on tape into my i-pod shuffle and listen while at work. Anyone interested in true crime, the Amber Frey (of the Scott Peterson case) book was a really interesting read and it only took me a few hours to read it. I am on the waiting list for his sisters book, book brother. We spend lots of time at the library.~Mandy