Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How soon after surgery did you exercise?

I asked this question at the doctor's and was told I could do cardo within a few days, basicallt as soon as I wanted to. Weights would have to wait a few weeks, abs in 4 or 6 weeks (can't remember which). Can you actually do cardio that quickly?

I was encouraged to start walking the day of surgery. I was encouraged to walk for 1/2 hour on the second day! (and every day thereafter!) I had to wait for weight training for 2 months! That was harder but I am glad I waited. My port sight still gets a little sore when I do crunches and ab exercises, and it has been 5 months.

Wow, that seems so early to me!

I was told to do a little bit of walking, but really nothing you would call cardio... more like waddling.

I didnt exercise for 6-8wks, cant quite remember which, after the surgery because i was told it can make the band slip because your stomach is still getting used to it, i still lost 8kgs in the first 3 weeks though.

Bel

I was banded on 3/18 and felt I was ready to return to the gym on 329. I had to modify my workout as I cannot swim for a few more weeks but I do the elliptical trainer 20 min, and the bike for 35 minutes. I will be increasing my workouts as my body heals. I love the way I feel when I work out and didn't want to loss my routine after surgery. I have lost 17 pounds since surgery and I believe that workout and staying active is the reason why.

Hugs

Paula

I started walking 1 week after surgery-- just a short 15 minute walk. Then about 3 weeks after surgery I started going back to the gym. I skipped on the ab work until about week 6-8 post op.

Its me again with an update to exercise. I am now able to swim after 4 weeks and two days. My incession is well healed, a little red around where staples once were but other then that the skin went back together nicely. I am now able to do 30 minutes of Elliptical, 30 bike and 30 swim all in the same day which I do on Fridays, the other days I do 60 minutes.

I hope that all of you are healing as well. Would love to hear from you.

Hugs

Paula

4 days after surgery I was encouraged to walk regularly. I could start regular exercise at 4 weeks and Water aerobics at 6 weeks.

I had my surgery late in the evening...and was up walking the next morning (shower and all, by myself)...then I hung out with my doctor...and then I went to the mall and took in a movie and some shopping. To be honest, I was banded on a Friday night...and Tuesday, I was back at work (without a soul knowing that I had the procedure!!!).

I started walking at the gym that same week...and after about 2 weeks, I was lifting light weights.

Because of my professional background in health, I knew how to pace myself.

Unfortunately, my schedule eventually got the best of me, and took some time off from the gym...but I'm back...I work out usually 5-6 days a week (first thing in the AM)...and because I finally got under 200lbs, I treated myself to a 3 month membership to an exotic dance studio in the evenings...bellydancing, strip, chair, zumba...the works!!!

I have an "anniversary" with my girlfriends coming up in Sept...and I plan to be down at least 25-30lbs!!!

I started walking almost immediately to reduce the gas pain and pressure. I steadily increased it everyday. Last Sunday (11 days after surgery) I was jogging small stretches while walking. Today, 2 1/2 weeks post-op, I played tennis. (Well, actually it's been so long, I spent most of the time chasing the balls :) ) My point is that it depends on how you feel and how quickly you have recovered. I just know that I have so much more energy now and I want to be up and moving. I also work in my garden almost everyday. I start softball in a few weeks. I love to play sports and would rather do that than go to the gym or aerobics classes. That's what's fun to me. If I have to, I'll do the treadmill, but would much rather play something.