Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've rushed through the mushie phase

I was banded 1/14 (just over 3 weeks ago) I was on full liquids for 2 weeks faithfully. I saw my Dr at 2 weeks and he said I could move on to puree/mushies. I have been on them for 1 week now. I am supposed to stay on them for the next 2-3 weeks and gradually introduce soft solids. I feel completely fine...And hungry. But mostly I'm finding it hard to get in enough calories eating healthy mushies. I do not want to eat crap just because it is soft. Long story short...I have eaten a meal tonight of a lean ground beef patty (5oz) and about 1/2 cup mashed cauliflower. It was wonderful and felt fine. No pain or even mild discomfort. Not full but satisfied. To be honest I feel better about what I've eaten today than the 3 weeks I've been choking down chocolate flavored drinks and such. Anyway, you think it's ok to continue on with solid foods as long as I chew well and they don't bother me??? Please say yes!!!

I don't want to tell you to do something your doctor doesn't recommend but my doctor said if it doesn't hurt or cause you discomfort go ahead and eat it. Within reason though. Hamburger, mashed potatoes, soft veggies, tuna, scrambled eggs, fish etc... were all considered mushies even though they are not literally mushy like mashed potatoes are. I think if you eat it in moderation and choose healthily you should be fine. No STEAK! LOL. I have had no problems eating at all and I was banded 1/10/08. Some people will not agree with me though. Good luck to ya. Any real food tastes amazing after a liquid diet.< /span>

I would stick to your doctor's orders, o0bviously he/she has a reason for them. That being said you can puree meats. I bought a babyfood grinder and used it post-op to get in protien. You can also add protien powder to a lot of things: applesauce, mashed potato, pretty much anything.

I'm 5 months post-op and still can not eat steak.

The initial post-op diet is for healing.

What you ate sounds pretty soft to me.

You might want to try the Butternut squash Soup, it comes ready made in a box. I thought it was delicious and it has a very pureed texture. Not much Protein in it tho' so you'd have to get some Liquid Protein in during the day. But sometimes we are just looking for variety.

You might want to try in the next few weeks, substituting ground turkey for the ground beef. We make turkey meatloaf.

Since each doctor gives different advice... I'm pretty sure you could call him and ask him. I did 2 weeks of liquid/puree... then 2 weeks soft food, then introduce solids. Hamburg is a pretty soft food, and you basically ground it up in your mouth... but, I would be careful. Sometimes the advice is just to give your body time to heal. It is VERY difficut the first few months since you are so hungry all the time. BUT, it will get better as the adjustments kick in.

I think the person to be asking this question to is your doctor. He would be the best persons instructions to follow. I know my post op diet is 4 days Clear Liquids, 10 days full liquids, 14 days pureed foods. My doctor says this is so that you can heal up completely and that while maybe you feel like your fine to eat something that doesn't fall into those categories or during the proper stage time frame - doesnt mean that you should. That they have this post op diet in place for a reason and that while it may not seem to have any affect to you now - maybe 6 months down the road if it turns out that you have slipped or something of the sort it could very well be tied to any post-op indescretions. That in itself scared me enough to not risk trying ANYTHING out of turn.

Good luck with your healing - today's day 1 of my pureed food stage and I am VERY excited to be having pureed tuna for lunch instead of yogurt and pudding!

I'm from UK and was banded 17th Jan, from beginning the pre op milk and yogurt diet a week before my surgery to completing the two week liquid diet I lost an amazing 21lbs !!!! then last week I began the mushy phase and I'm finding it difficult to maintain my current weight loss let alone lose any weight , my appointment with the dietician isn't until the 20th Feb so in an effort to maintain my weight loss I'm considering only having one soft food meal throughout the day and maybe a smoothie or a slimfast milk shake for Breakfast and Soup for lunch, has anyone had a similar problem ? your advice/opinion would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Helen