Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been trying to lose weight since Dec. 2007 and I have lost 14 lbs. but no more. I read about others losing a lot more.

1) What am I doing wrong with not losing weight?

2)What should I except after surgery while in the hospital and coming home?

I am so scared and not sure if I want to continue with the journey. I am really thinking about saying no but then I think of my kids and I say pain for a few mos. is worth it (I think). Please help.

Thanks,

Chilly:crying:

14 lbs in less than 2 months is nothing to sneeze at. You are not even banded yet. And what pain for a few months? I'm not sure what is in your head but I can honestly tell you I was not in pain for months, not even weeks. The band is the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Congradulations on your 14 lb loss Chilly. Hang in there! As for the pain, it's usually just gas. At least it was for me. The incisions were sore of course, but all was well within 5-7 days. Meaning, I could do almost anything such as driving, cleaning, washing clothes, etc..The band is my tool and I love it!

Pain? So minimal and only lasts a couple of days. Gas pains are the worst. You WILL NOT have months of pain. PLEASE don't let the post-op pain discourage you.

First four days after surgery were tough from the gas pain. By day five I was much better and one week later feeling pretty good.

I had very little to no incision pain.

14 lbs in a couple months is great. A few years ago I lost 30 pounds, it took me 10 months!

Try to keep it off before you get banded and you'll be closer to your weight loss goal.

Don't be so hard on yourself! I actually gained weight during my liquid pre-op diet because my sodium intake was too high. I barely had any pain post-op and maybe 1 day of gas discomfort. 14 pounds is a great start so pick yourself up and remember why you started this journey in the first place. I couldn't imagine my life without my band. Hang in there!

Jenn

Thanks for all the advice that was given. I called the doctor's office back and rescheduled to see her again. I am now looking at having surgery in April during spring break. I think that would be the best for me because then my daughter will be here to help me if I need it with my son.

Is there a limit on what you can go after surgery? (as in going to work, laundary and cleaning)

Thanks,

Chilly

Hi Chilly..

I had my surgery yesterday and I feel great!! Minor discomfort and am walking up a storm!! It seems like most people are back to work and doing regular activites after a week. For some people it takes longer....just depends on each individual. There is TONS of info on these boards. Just inform yourself, ask questions and be 100% sure in your committment to make changes and follow the bandster rules!

Wow! Good job! I didn't lose the first pound until 10 weeks after surgery. So you are off to a better start than me.

1) What am I doing wrong with not losing weight?

You are not doing anything wrong...you are losing weight!

2)What should I except after surgery while in the hospital and coming home?

You should expect anything and everything. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

If you've ever had a baby, root canal, ... even fillings in my case... what did you do for those?

Did you prepare in advance and ensured meals were made and put in the freezer? Or did you have family take care of that?

I just took a week off...from life. I slept alot, ate very little, and sipped cold drinks.

My three daughters took care of getting each other ready for school, getting take out and pizza. ... renting movies....

You know your body better than anyone, so if you can't tolerate pain well...then truly prepare for the worst and get your scripts filled before you have the surgery.

{btw...childbirth was worse than anything I've ever experienced in my life!}

14 lbs in less than 2 months is nothing to sneeze at. You are not even banded yet. And what pain for a few months? I'm not sure what is in your head but I can honestly tell you I was not in pain for months, not even weeks. The band is the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Ditto that. :biggrin:

You are doing great. You should be proud. I certainly haven't lost 14 pounds since December!

Everyone's pain tolerance is different, but I can say from my own experience and from what I hear from MOST people, it's not much to worry about. It's more like being uncomforatable for a few days.... and then life goes on.... and you continue to lose weight and feel better about yourself all around.

Good luck!