Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Realize vs. Inamed

Does anyone have the Realize band yet? I'm interested in anyone's discussions with their Dr's about the Realize band.

Thanks

I have the realize band. I don't know that its much different. Do a search and look at a previous thread that was started. I think the biggest difference is the port. On the other bands the port is stiched into the fascia (sheet of tissue/fat over abdominal muscles), in the realize band the port has a self anchoring system, which basically means they kind of rivet it in. At this point in time J&J's research states that there is a lower occurrence complications with the port (flipping and so on). I'm pretty sure that the REalize band also has a low profile port standard. I can feel mine (I don't have much fat in the area they placed my port) and it feels pretty small. My surgeon placed mine so that it shouldn't show up too bad, its kinda hooked to the edge of my ribs.

I read somewhere that the "pillows" reduce erosion, and that it has less slippage (but don't know what is different to back that up). Thanks for you're info!

Nuke how many CC's does your band hold ?

Thanks

Mindy

I also have the realize band. I think NukeChik pretty much summed things up. The only other thing I can add about the realize band is that they have an online support website that is pretty neat. You can track your meals, weight loss, etc and you can give your Dr. access to that info. The site has alot of info and recipes. You can look at parts of the website pre band, but unless you actually get a realize band you dont have access to everything it offers.

The realize band holds 9cc.

I can barely feel my port, in other words I have to push down kinda hard to feel it.

Thanks for answering the cc mamato. My doc still hasn't figured out what his code is for the website so I haven't gotten into that yet. They gave me a little card when I was at the surgery center but the number on it is 16 digits and the website wants 12. Oh well, maybe they'll figure it out. My surgeon is one of the docs on there doing all the little videos, Jaime Ponce.

From everything I've seen, during the surgery they don't stitch the band on like the others. Thats probably the reason I woke up from surgery hungry. I don't think that I had much swelling at all.

I have an appt to get my first fill on Feb 5. I think that the amount of time to the first fill is less than the other bands. I think most bands are 6 weeks for first fill. The realize literature says you can get a fill after your first week of solid foods (week 4). I start solids tomorrow. I was banded Jan 7.

Oh another fun fact about the Realize band, the port is only 1/2 inch tall. I'm not sure what the other bands stats are, but I'm thinking that is much smaller.

My doc's office did not know the 12 digit code either. I had to throw a little fit. hahha The website support is one of the reasons I chose the realize. (also the shorter profile port) I ended up calling a customer suuport number for the realize band and they called the Dr's office to let them know what number to give their patients.

I had know idea they did not stitch the band in to place. I am definately going to ask my Dr. about that. I knew about the port having the self anchoring system, but I thought the band was placed and stitched exactly the same.

As far as hunger, I had surgery the same day as you (Jan 7) and I have hardly felt any hunger at all. Maybe like 3 times. They did not schedule me for my first fill until Feb. 25! Seems like an eternity away. I dont really feel like I have much restriction, but I have forced myself to stick to the 1/2 cup of food 3 times a day. It seems to keep me satisfied so far.

I'll have to try calling that number cause I would like to get on the website. I'm not positive about the no stitching thing. Its just what I've gathered from my research.

I could eat a lot at a time if I let myself. I get hungry after about 4-6 hours on about a cup to a cup and a half of food. I'm following all the doctors rules. I haven't started exercising regularly yet. I plan on it though. Time to dust off the old treadmill. I do get really, really hungry. I'm trying to hold myself back from snacking right now. I've only actually been full once. I usually just measure out a small portion of food and work on that. If I'm still hungry after about 10 minutes of finishing I'll have a little something else. I'm usually "satisfied" though. Thats how I'm trying to live my life now, eating till I'm "satisfied" not till I'm full.

I have the REALIZE and I set myself up on the website just yesterday. The anchoring system is awesome and helps prevent port flips. The Realize is also the first band to cover more stomach surface area by making it wider (now other bands are doing the same thing) since that is believed to prevent PB's, prevent slipping, keep you feeling full longer, and offers greater restriction on average. It really is the best band out there at the moment. I'm sure another one will eventually take its place down the road...but right now we are all so lucky to have the greatest band technology. :eek:

I just called the ethicon people to get my surgeon's id number. They are supposed to call my surgeon's office and tell them all they need to know to support their patients. Pretty bad that my surgeon is one of the guys doing all the little video snippets on their website and his staff doesn't know their identification code:confused:

That is pretty funny! It was acutally quite irritating to me when my doctors office didn't know. I mean, they were the one that sold me on the whole idea of the realize band in the first place. You will hear from them soon. If you dont, call ethicon again. They will get the Dr's office in gear. It took only a couple hours for me to get a call from the surgeon's office. Good luck.

Your initial topic was "Realize vs Inamed". It is strange to me that a patient would "chose" which band they want. In my humble opinion, I wanted the doc to put in the band that HE was most comfortable with and that HE thought would do the best job! He's the expert, not me!--I see it like the diff in driving a Chevy and a Ford--both will get you from a-b-c--just personal preference what you want to get there in.

I have the Realize band--because that is the one my doc likes the best. He said it provides him with more flexibility. AND yes, he is a proctor for the band. The way I look at it-the easier it is for him-the easier it is for me!!

I Pretty bad that my surgeon is one of the guys doing all the little video snippets on their website and his staff doesn't know their identification code:confused:

I know!! My doc is the one who did most of the patients on that site!(though the site doesnt tell you that)

Actually my surgeon chose the Realize, I didn't get the choice. I wanted to choose, but the girl that did the pre-op class at the office said that he chooses on a case by case basis. I think that he's probably doing them exclusively though due to him also being a proctor.

I agree that I think the doc should choose which band a patient gets , I dont think it should be based on whats the "Newest" on the market though. I think it should be based on what fits the patients needs. If that happens to be the newest one the market then thats the one they should get.

But i dont think the patient should be choosing which band they get based on the newest or price either.

Just my input

Mindy