Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise

Exercise that will work for you is whatever you will do consistently, whether walking, going to the gym, working out to a dvd at home, or whatever. The key is regular exercise. I am waiting to be banded and was going to Curves 2-3 times a week, but nothing was happening because I ate too much. When I started this journey I looked for a way to increase my exercise and decided walking was how I wanted to do it. I asked around because I wanted an interesting place to walk or I knew I wouldn't stick to it. I found a park about 10 minutes from my home. It is on a river, has piers for fishing and just watching the wildlife (mallard ducks are gorgeous) picnic areas, and a walking path about a mile or so in length. It has variations in the direction you can go, but basically circles the outer edge of the park. It is technically closed from Nov/Apr but they don't lock the gates, so people go there all year to walk their dogs, or just walk for exercise. One of my coworkers told me to be sure and take peanuts for the squirrels, so I am one of several squirrel feeders that come there. They are so tame that many of them will come right up to you and take the peanut from your fingers. It makes the walk fun and I usually go around twice. I even keep peanuts in the trunk because one time I ran out and found myself apologizing to a hopeful squirrel because I didn't have a peanut for him, LOL! Sometimes there are few squirrels out, sometimes lots. I even found myself walking in the rain juggling my umbrella and a bag of peanuts in case I saw any critters! So sometimes I walk briskly and continuously, and other times I stop a lot to feed nuts to the squirrels. I look forward to going and can't wait until the daylight lasts longer so I can stop during the week on the way home from work. Right now I can only do weekends. If it is cold I layer up and still go. I use Curves during the week. It might not sound like much, but the walking (I lost about 10 lbs during my 6 month diet) added to my exercise has brought me down from 2x slacks to 1x so it is working. Now if the band helps with quantity I will be on my way. Good luck with your journey.

Hi Pat! That's great exercise advice.

Dreamsize8, I'm struggling with this area of my long-term commitment to good habits. I agree with Pat that you need to find the type of exercise you're going to enjoy the most. I once ordered a DVD workout program from a TV infomercial, and I never used it! I enjoy riding my exercise bike and walking, but I'm not doing it nearly as much as I need to be successful. One thing that has helped is this. I bought a small TV and DVD player to have near my exercise bike. So now I can choose between my favorite sitcom or listening to music. The key for us is to GET ACTIVE! I don't recommend investing in a gym membership until you're ready to commit to going. You may have to lock into a year-long contract. If you need access to exercise equipment, and at some point weights, shop around for the best deal. Until you make a decision, at least go for a walk. It's a great workout for your heart, legs, and butt!

~Anne

:rolleyes2:

for me its timing I workout at home I have 2 young kids so I workout at different time a day sometime in the middle of the night I enjoy my new DVD the biggest loser working out with people who struggle with their weight like I do gave me that pick me up I needed I also power walk (treadmill) and ride a exercise bike, so while dinner is cooking I am working out.

Hi Pat! That's great exercise advice.

Dreamsize8, I'm struggling with this area of my long-term commitment to good habits. I agree with Pat that you need to find the type of exercise you're going to enjoy the most. I once ordered a DVD workout program from a TV infomercial, and I never used it! I enjoy riding my exercise bike and walking, but I'm not doing it nearly as much as I need to be successful. One thing that has helped is this. I bought a small TV and DVD player to have near my exercise bike. So now I can choose between my favorite sitcom or listening to music. The key for us is to GET ACTIVE! I don't recommend investing in a gym membership until you're ready to commit to going. You may have to lock into a year-long contract. If you need access to exercise equipment, and at some point weights, shop around for the best deal. Until you make a decision, at least go for a walk. It's a great workout for your heart, legs, and butt!

~Anne

I was interested in some Jazz and Ballet videos and some others. I actually took jazz and Ballet for 10 years. Its fun and I know I can commit to that. I've tried the gym membership..waste of money...lmao But the apartment complex I live at has a cardio gym. so...thats good. not wasting money again..lol And their opening the Hard rock theme park down the street from my house. So looking forword to getting a season Pass and walking around there lots.

for me its timing I workout at home I have 2 young kids so I workout at different time a day sometime in the middle of the night I enjoy my new DVD the biggest loser working out with people who struggle with their weight like I do gave me that pick me up I needed I also power walk (treadmill) and ride a exercise bike, so while dinner is cooking I am working out.

I work weird hours so at like 1am its dinner for me. and at noon its Breakfast and such...So when I come home I eat and go to bed around 3..So i figured a work out video before I go to bed will be good. then get up at noon and go to the gym and use the treadmill.

I was interested in some Jazz and Ballet videos and some others. I actually took jazz and Ballet for 10 years. Its fun and I know I can commit to that. I've tried the gym membership..waste of money...lmao But the apartment complex I live at has a cardio gym. so...thats good. not wasting money again..lol And their opening the Hard rock theme park down the street from my house. So looking forword to getting a season Pass and walking around there lots.

They sound like great ideas! Dance would be a great way to burn calories and tone your body. Sometimes I'll sing and dance around the house. :hurray: I also like the idea of the season pass at the theme park... just stay away from the food vendors. The smells might drive you crazy. Some people like to walk at shopping malls, but I haven't had any desire to do this.

I work out at the gym because I am the type of person who has to leave the house to exercise. When the weather is nice, I go on long bike rides or runs outside, but for the basic daily stuff, I have to go to the gym. SO, consider your lifestyle and personality. I have bought lots of equipment that I ended up giving away or selling cheap...but I always will hit the gym! Just a thought!