Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated

I started this process in August, and I am nowhere near close to getting banded (doctors are slooooow). I was wondering if there was anyplace I could go that would have me banded in the next two months. I have BCBS of Massachusetts which will cover it (I assume I have to stay in network). Right now I am looking at no classes until March or later because I did not lose weight over Christmas. I can't have the surgury until after the classes.

I am so very frustrated at the time this is consuming!!!!!

I had a really easy time getting approved with Dr. Ameri. His office is in Stoneham and surgery is at Winchester Hospital. I had my first visit with him Nov 7th and I'm being banded on Jan 14th. He and his staff are wonderful and I felt the process was smooth. I have HMO Blue. And a BMI of exactly 40. I only attended one support session (if this is what you mean by class) and it was done after approval. If you are anywhere near the area you might want to check him out.

i also have/had bcbs and have had no problems. many times the wait is due to surgery times and passing the prerequisistes. at bidmc where i was banded you have to go to 2 pre op info mtgs, get cleared from any gall bladder issues, see the psych and get cleared by the team before you get your surgery date. i was lucky the whole thing took 3-4 months april - end july when i was banded but i was VERY lucky. good luck to you. one last thing - it's worth the wait!

I am in Central Mass, so those places seem kind of far. I made my decision in August, went to both pre-rec meetings in September. Got my appointment with the doc in November, apointment with psych in December. My appointment with the nutritionist is next week. The psych said she would not clear me unless I lost weight by the time of my nutritionist appointment. I am now back at the same weight I was at the psych appointment, but I have to lose weight by next week. I have PCOS, so it is very hard to lose weight. Besides eating right and exercising everyday, I have taken drugs so that my TOM should start tomorrow or the next day. I am hoping this helps. I have not had a period since August, so it has got to help in some way.

Just a note on how hard it is for me to lose weight - most people lose 5-10 pounds the first week, for me the first week always has a whopping weight loss of 2 to 2.5 lbs. This is always my largest loss week.

I am exercising every day for at least 45 minutes, drinking my Water, and eating less than 2000 calories per day (that was my highest day, yesterday I had about 1000). I wish I was one of those people who could drop a lot of weight in the first week.

KathrynRose, are you going to Worc?

Your program sounds very similar to mine. There is a meeting every month on the first Thursday of each month, people of all stages in the process talk about all sorts of different things related to either the bypass surgery or the band.

I haven't had as much trouble losing weight as you have. I did the 4 nutrition meetings and the 5 physiological meetings pre-surgery. After that they meet with you and figure out when to send your papers back up to surgeons. I have my sugeon meeting Jan 30. I'm expecting to get my surgery date then.

Nice to meet you.

So when did you start with the first orientation meeting? How long did it take to get through the exercise classes? How long did it take you to get an appointment after the exercise classes? I guess I really want to know how long it has been since you started the four classes?

I don't know this is really dragging. At least I start the four behavioural/nutritional classes next week.

I had my first orientation meeting in July 07. I met the surgeon in Sept. did the nutrition meetings in Dec. at the first one of those, they showed us the schedule of physiological meetings, which I signed up for right away. at the last nutritional meeting they will tell you your next move.

Have you gone to the Thursday night meetings at the end of the month? They are great.

No, my mom keeps going into the hospital right around those nights. She is my built in baby sitter. This last one she had surgery that day. I went to visit her at the same time as the meeting. I left the hospital the same time as all of the people leaving the meeting and they were talking about it. I was really sad I had missed it because I had been planning to go. I just can't take a two year old to the meeting. (He is annoying enough in the hospital room.) For the next meeting I am travelling to a different state to go to my SIL's wedding. I really want to make the March meeting.

I am still trying to find a babysitter for my mom for the last week of February. That way someone is there in case she gets sick again while we are gone.

One of the reasons I want to do this surgery is because of how sick my mom is due to her weight. And yet she is so sick, she ends up in the emergency room during the last week of each month. Ok so it has only happened for the last three months, but it has been very upsetting for me (all around, not just because of missed opportunities).

I was told it takes up to 3 or 4 months to get through everything. Had my Orientation meeting early this month. End of Month my first group meeting with people who have had the lap band. Then March 10th I have a sleep clinic overnighter. March 20th I have my all day meeting with the works. Including shrink. They then decide if I am a candidate for it. I don't have a choice. They make the decision.

If rejected I'll go to Winchester LOL

But my PCP has OK'd this and letter sent to BCBS with his recommendation.

Good luck, it seems like forever but it will come up fast.