Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting banded 1/10. Got a few questions.....

Hi...I am 39 years old and getting banded on 1/10. I am so thrilled, I cannot begin to say. This forum has been so helpful!

Just a few silly questions, maybe some Lap-Band veterans can answer..

1 - I am starting at 218 pounds (5'3"). I keep hearing these big weight loss numbers for the first few months, but that is usually people with a higher starting BMI. Anyone with similar starting numbers willing to share their weight loss experience? Does your starting BMI matter for weight loss rate?

2 - I seem to keep reading about a feeling of food "not going down", or wanting to vomit, and not being able to. People describe it as a terrible feeling (being way too full, and not being able to get relief). How does that happen, and how can I prevent that from happening?

3 - When can you start taking pills again, without having to crush them?

4 - In the liquid stage, after surgery, when you are having your skim milk with Protein Powder, do you just mix with a spoon, or gently blend in a blender (Magic Bullet)? Ice or no ice?:hungry:

Thanks!

Well, I'll try to the best of my knowledge:

(1) I started the process at 213 #, lost 6 # pre-op and have lost 24 # since (almost 3 months). Our metabolisms are just slow, so it matters that we follow exactly what we should eat and not vary (too much). Thanksgiving I gained two pounds and it took me a week to get back down--Christmas I gained 1.4 pounds and still have .4 to lose to start back down. But I will tell you this: for years of never being able to lose, it is fantastic to see the scales go down!

(2) Chew, chew, chew, and eat very slowly. The only time I have pain is when I'm not paying attention and allow something bigger to go down!

(3) My surgeon says if it can't fit through a straw, don't put send it down. Sorry--not sure how you'll do if you have horse pills (many say they crush them up in applesauce).

(4) If you get whey Protein isolate, it will mix into liquids with just a spoon or a shaker. (Whey Protein concentrate will have to mixed in a blender and has a lot of lactose). I use protein powders (chocolate malt and belgian chocolate) mixed only in Water and they taste great, trust me! I buy mine from Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, books, DVDs & more and make sure I get free shipping too! I have used protein powder since pre-op when I was only needing 40 grams a day. (Sorry, don't do ice--but that's your call!)

Hey, the very best to you on the 10th!!! ;)

First I am 5'5" and weighed 237 lbs so was just barely over the BMI limit. I was banded on 8/29 and lost approx 30 pounds the first two months and have continued to lose 10-15 pounds a week. I work out a the gym 5-7 days a week.

As far as Protein, I use Champion brand which is low carb and mix with only Water. I use something like a magic bullet to mix it and make it thick so it says in my system longer. I do not drink milk of any kind any more as it usually has a lot of sugar and therefore high in carbs.

As for foods not going down, that is usually because you are not chewing your food enough so the pieces are too big to go through the pouch and therefore you end up throwing it all back up. Take small bites and chew, chew, chew before you swallow, you will find some foods such as white meat chicken and turkey are a little harder to get down because they are drier.

I don't crush pills at all, everything I take is small enough to digest without crushing. I did that at first then found I did not need too. If you have a particular pill that you have trouble with, cut it in half and try that.

Take care and good luck.

First I am 5'5" and weighed 237 lbs so was just barely over the BMI limit. I was banded on 8/29 and lost approx 30 pounds the first two months and have continued to lose 10-15 pounds a week. I work out a the gym 5-7 days a week.

10 - 15 pounds a WEEK??

As far as Protein, I use Champion brand which is low carb and mix with only Water. I use something like a magic bullet to mix it and make it thick so it says in my system longer. I do not drink milk of any kind any more as it usually has a lot of sugar and therefore high in carbs.

As for foods not going down, that is usually because you are not chewing your food enough so the pieces are too big to go through the pouch and therefore you end up throwing it all back up. Take small bites and chew, chew, chew before you swallow, you will find some foods such as white meat chicken and turkey are a little harder to get down because they are drier.

I don't crush pills at all, everything I take is small enough to digest without crushing. I did that at first then found I did not need too. If you have a particular pill that you have trouble with, cut it in half and try that.

Take care and good luck.

what regime are you using to work out? anything u are using to achieve these results? food supplements etc.

Hi,

I had band surgery on October 26,2007. I started at 233 pounds and am down 17 pounds now. I am very happy with that, I have never lost 17 pounds in two months before! You have to remember that with the band weight loss can be slower because you don't get the full benefit until you reach your 'sweet spot' which can take anywhere from three to five fills depending on you and your band.