Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumping more than eating

6 weeks post op gastric bypass it’s been hard and quite frustrating trying to figure out what I can & cannot eat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’m on soft food stage & yet everything I tried is a no-no for me bc of dumping; although it seems to me I’m doing more dumping than anything! Help!

Edited by Moe514
I had gastric sleeve instead of bypass

is it true dumping or just vomiting? Dumping involves sweats or chills, cramps, diarrhea, rapid heartbeat. Vomiting can happen, but it's not as common because the "action" is in your intestines.

I at first thought it might be a stricture since you originally said you had bypass, and those can definitely make you vomit pretty much everything you eat, but then underneath your post you said it was sleeve - strictures are pretty rare in sleevers, so I'm not sure.

what are you exact symptoms?

@catwoman7 asked the same questions I was thinking. But I will add that dumping occurs after eating sugars & fats which you would be avoiding anyway.

Could it be the foamies? Lots of thick saliva which you spit up, a feeling something is sort off stuck & then you may regurgitate what you ate. It usually happens if you eat too quickly, too much, or your food is too dry or too coarse or fibrous (some vegetables can be like this).

Could also be your sensitive, fussy, still healing tummy. It’s not uncommon for our tummy to say nope don’t like that (even things we always enjoyed) & up it comes. If it is that, it does get better as you continue to recover. There is a lot of trial & error in the beginning to discover what your tummy likes & sometimes your food options may end up being quite small but as I said it does improve & before long you’ll have plenty of options.

If you’re feeling nauseous as well ask for some anti nausea meds to help. Be warned often your Multi Vitamins can make you nauseous & vomit.

I'm just shy of 2 weeks post op myself (still in puree), and I can relate. One of the things I tried to eat pureed was some oven fried chicken ground up and mixed with mayo (to make chicken salad). Good grief, did I feel like crap for the next 2 hours! I had a headache, was nauseated, and just ugh. I ended up laying down with an ice pack over my eyes for the hour and a half after I took some Tylenol and Compazine (anti-nausea).

A lot of how you feel will just depend on what you eat, how much, and how fast. Your digestive is completely rearranged now, and your body just needs time to get used to the new set-up. You'll get there. Just be patient with yourself and your body. If you have questions, just ask your surgeon or your dietitian. I'm sure you can always leave a message to speak to them in between your regular post op check appointments (especially if they use myChart).

So I had my bypass on May 10th. I have puked and puked. They did a endoscopy everything was fine. So my surgeon had a ultrasound of my gallbladder done the same day. It showed gallstones and sludge. She said this is common with rapid weight loss. So last Wednesday I had my gallbladder removed and she repaired two hernias and I have one more hernia they are putting off fixing until I finish losing weight. I’m so frustrated, I was really excited because I made homemade chicken noodle Soup with a little bit of Turkey sandwich. Well I only had a couple bites and puked that up too. I’ve lost almost 90 pds but I’m tired of being sick. I go for my post op check Wednesday maybe it’s just to soon.

Thank you. I have a great support system but it does feel good to know other people like myself is going through similar situations & can give some good advice on how to handle those familiar situations.

As someone said it’s a trial & error thing right now. I’m staying away from fried anything, anything high in fat, definitely sugary contents. I sometimes get a little thoughts here & there about maybe I made a bad decision about getting the surgery but then I think about how much weight I lost so far & how better I feel since the weight loss & it immediately leave my head. I just have to have patience.

26 minutes ago, Moe514 said:

Thank you. I have a great support system but it does feel good to know other people like myself is going through similar situations & can give some good advice on how to handle those familiar situations.

As someone said it’s a trial & error thing right now. I’m staying away from fried anything, anything high in fat, definitely sugary contents. I sometimes get a little thoughts here & there about maybe I made a bad decision about getting the surgery but then I think about how much weight I lost so far & how better I feel since the weight loss & it immediately leave my head. I just have to have patience.

the first couple of months are hard and a lot of people have "buyer's remorse", but you'll eventually reach the point where you'll be really happy with your decision. You'll be able to eat more types of food, will tolerate things better, etc. I can eat anything now except for really fatty meals. Before surgery my husband and I used to go out for fish fries on Friday nights, which usually consisted of fried fish, French fries, coleslaw made with mayo, and a roll with butter. I could maybe eat ONE of those things right now. Eating a plate with all the things I mentioned would land me in the bathroom, even at 8.5 years out. (I meant I could handle one fatty thing. If the rest of the things I had on the plate didn't contain much - if any - fat - like broiled fish - I would be fine. Although at restaurants I usually just eat half of what's on the plate these days, and take the rest home)

Edited by catwoman7