Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling with Post-Surgery Challenges

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to take a moment to share my experience and vent a bit about the difficulties I've been facing after my gastric bypass surgery. It's been tough, and I could really use some support and understanding right now.

Firstly, one of the biggest challenges I've encountered is the loss of taste. It's incredibly disheartening to try different food and drink options, only to find that nothing tastes good anymore. I've experimented with various yogurts, Protein powders, shakes, and even crystal light flavors, but unfortunately, the enjoyment I used to get from eating has vanished. Even something as simple as finishing a bottle of Water has become a struggle for me.

To add to this frustrating situation, I've been dealing with a persistent metallic taste in my mouth. This unpleasant sensation affects how everything tastes, making it even more difficult to find pleasure in eating or drinking. Despite my efforts to maintain good oral hygiene by brushing my teeth four times a day, the taste persists, and it's incredibly discouraging.

On top of these physical challenges, my energy levels have plummeted, leaving me feeling depleted and drained. It's hard to stay positive and motivated when you're constantly battling fatigue. Unfortunately, this has taken a toll on my mental health as well, and I find myself struggling with depression. It's a heavy emotional burden to carry, and I often find myself crying myself to sleep at night.

I apologize if this post sounds like a downer, but I really needed to vent and share my experience with people who might understand. If any of you have gone through a similar situation, I would greatly appreciate any advice or encouragement you can offer. And to those who are willing, please keep me in your prayers. The support means the world to me during this challenging time.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and for being there for me when I needed to let it all out. Together, we can get through the tough times and find strength in each other.

What you’re experiencing is very common. It annoys me that surgeons & support teams don’t explain these things to their patients. It would save so much angst, frustration & fear like you are experiencing.

The change your tastebuds (& often sense of smell too) is temporary - up to a couple of months. It’s pretty common after surgery. I embraced mine which included an oversensitivity to anything sweet & never introduced it back into my eating. For others it’s an opportunity to try different foods. And others discover foods they didn’t enjoy before are delicious & become a regular part of their eating.

The metallic taste & often strong body odour is a result of ketosis - fat burning. We want this to happen but it too passes - I think about 2 months for me I carried breath mints, tooth paste & brush, mouth wash, deodorant, body wipes,etc. with me to help combat the odour & foul taste.

The drop in energy is a result of the lower calories & what is a pretty major surgery. It too passes. You may find it happens at random times while you are losing too - just your body getting used to the changes. Try adding an electrolyte drink to your daily Fluid rotation for an extra boost of energy especially before you do any exercising.

You’ll be okay. All the best.

as usual, I agree with everything Arabesque said. And I know this sounds weird to say, but enjoy your loss of hunger and appetite while it lasts, because it will come back - and things will become a lot more challenging then. Even though it was weird at first, I honestly wish my hunger and appetite had never come back. It was SO much easier to lose weight when I was never hungry and couldn't give a flip about food! My hunger came roaring back at about five months out. It lasts longer for some, less for others. But use it to your full advantage.

On 9/6/2023 at 2:33 PM, taylrmarie said:

the enjoyment I used to get from eating has vanished.

I like to say that's exactly what I signed up for.

But knowing at some point it will return helps to get through it. I used to love my Crystal Light drinks but after WLS it was too sweet and plain Water tasted better until about 2 months out. So, tastes do change but usually are only temporary. Metallic taste is usually from your body detoxing. So that's a good thing.

At 5 months post-op a lot of things are hit and miss for me still but that's OK. I stick with what I know my new tummy can tolerate and slowly introduce new foods as I go. My restriction has really increased as time goes on and my appetite as well. With nerves healing and increase in exercise to blame. LOL

I do experience days of extreme fatigue too. On some days it literally felt like my bones were aching. But I don't push myself and allow myself to rest when needed. Also, It's really important to make sure you keep up on your daily Vitamins. Especially now, when eating less.

Don't worry. Enjoyment will return soon enough. And hopefully by then you will be that much closer to all your goals. Good luck!!

I feel you and will pray for you. I'm almost five weeks out and this is not what I expected. It took toll on my body physically and emotionally. I started seeing a therapist to help me through this. I heard it will get better in time. For me it's the ups and downs of my sugar level and my grief for food (therapist said). All I can say is to take it day by day. I consulted with my doctor and if these symptoms continue I'll have to do a reversal of the surgery. He said it just takes time to get used to as most people experience this.