Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

CIGNA INSURANCE APPROV



Recommended Posts

Hi everyone !!!

I recently decided to try the gastric sleeve option which my doctor supported. I am currently 223 pounds 5’2 so my bmi qualifies. Family history of diabetes and hypertension and heart disease cholesterol you name it they got it. The question I have is about the necessary documentation as far as documentation of weight loss within the previous 12 months. I had been going to Urban Skin solutions weight loss mes spa. Trying Lipo injections and phertamine to no avail I have the documents which show my bmi and weight for every visit. Would this be enough ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Jnpxo2 said:

Hi everyone !!!

I recently decided to try the gastric sleeve option which my doctor supported. I am currently 223 pounds 5’2 so my bmi qualifies. Family history of diabetes and hypertension and heart disease cholesterol you name it they got it. The question I have is about the necessary documentation as far as documentation of weight loss within the previous 12 months. I had been going to Urban Skin solutions weight loss mes spa. Trying Lipo injections and phertamine to no avail I have the documents which show my bmi and weight for every visit. Would this be enough ?

Every insurance company is different but it’s usually a medically supervised weight loss program (someone correct me if I’m wrong please).

To know for sure you need to ask the insurance company directly. Also there may or may not be a separate requirement from the Bariactric practice so check that as well.

If the owner of the spa is a licensed medical professional or there was a nutritionist on staff that may work. Even so you can ask your referring doctor to add your previous weightloss attempts with the spa to your records as a back up.

Here is Cigna’s info on Bariatric surgery (it’s long but page 2 describes what you are looking for)

https://static.cigna.com/assets/chcp/pdf/coveragePolicies/medical/mm_0051_coveragepositioncriteria_bariatric_surgery.pdf

Edited by GreenTealael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Every insurance company is different but it’s usually a medically supervised weight loss program (someone correct me if I’m wrong please).

To know for sure you need to ask the insurance company directly. Also there may or may not be a separate requirement from the Bariactric practice so check that as well.

If the owner of the spa is a licensed medical professional or there was a nutritionist on staff that may work. Even so you can ask your referring doctor to add your previous weightloss attempts with the spa to your records as a back up.

Here is Cigna’s info on Bariatric surgery (it’s long but page 2 describes what you are looking for)

https://static.cigna.com/assets/chcp/pdf/coveragePolicies/medical/mm_0051_coveragepositioncriteria_bariatric_surgery.pdf

Thank you so much ! They are a medical provider I have the licensed signatures and diet plan the nutritionist suggested. Etc. hope it works. when they within the previous 12 months does that mean I had to have done it the entire 12 months or just within that time frame

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Jnpxo2 said:

Thank you so much ! They are a medical provider I have the licensed signatures and diet plan the nutritionist suggested. Etc. hope it works. when they within the previous 12 months does that mean I had to have done it the entire 12 months or just within that time frame

I think it just means all of the evaluations need to be current (within the past 12 months) but don’t quote me. 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • NickelChip

      I'm checked into the hotel near the hospital and just had my last protein shake of the day. My mom has kindly gone down to the restaurant alone so as not to make me die from watching her eat dinner. Checking in at the hospital tomorrow at 10:50am. So ready!
      · 1 reply
      1. BeanitoDiego

        Pulling for ya!

    • Clueless_girl

      6 wks post surgery, had to go back to the hospital to replenish potassium levels. STILL struggling with abdominal pain and nausea. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

      Six months pots-op as of yesterday. I celebrated with a HIIT class where I was challenged to do a wall-assisted handstand. I truly thought there's no way in hell that I can get up there. Well... I proved myself wrong. The instructor said, "Just try getting one foot up there." I tried and it was so easy, that the other foot went up, and the next thing that I knew, I was standing on my hands with my legs up in the air, leaning against the wall.
      Last weekend I challenged myself to a 10-mile hike, and I was SURE that my legs would be non-functional that night and the next day. But that didn't happen at all.  But I did learn that I need a new hiking boot or shoe. I've got a goal of walking the Portuguese coastal route of the El Camino later this year, and I good shoes will be essential.
      I've hit another weight loss stall, but that's to be expected. I am so close to my goal already that if it does take 6 more months to get that last stone off, that's okay with me. And I am building muscle, so that stone may never move. S'alright friends, s'alright.
      · 1 reply
      1. Bypass2Freedom

        Congratulations! I bet that felt awesome to achieve! 😄

    • South Coast Deli

      South Coast Deli brings a superhero flair to fast, casual dining with three locations across Santa Barbara. Dive into a diverse menu featuring breakfast sandwiches, bagels, hearty salads, and a variety of sandwiches, including vegan and vegetarian options. Whether you're craving a classic deli experience or a warm panini, this deli satisfies with quick service and a playful atmosphere. Perfect for on-the-go meals or a leisurely bite, South Coast Deli is your go-to for fresh, delicious fare with a comic book twist.
       
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Annievincent

      Can I have cream of chicken soup on pre operation  liquid diet
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×