Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Christmas cookie issues

Hi everyone, happy Holidays to all! I'm sending this out because I need accountability here. I've been slowly losing, but at least the scale is heading in the right direction.

I was doing great on my life style eating plan, until I baked a couple of batches of sugar Cookies for the Grandkids to decorate. They stayed in my freezer for one week.

I would grab one here and there. Plus, I baked some brownies for a Christmas function and the left overs are in my freezer! I fell back into old eating patterns, right now I'm under massive stress, aside from the holidays, travel, etc. I went back into stress eating, the more physical pain I was having, the more brownies I crammed into my mouth!

I have now either given away or threw away all cookies, brownies, frosting, etc. If it ain't around, I can't eat it. Back to my program I go. I don't think I regained any weight, just slowed down the process.

I think we all have the tendency to go back to what we know when we get stressed out. I am still new after surgery but i understand what you are saying about not having it around. I cleaned out everything before my surgery and am just reminding myself how sick i was before i had the surgery and that if i buy things i will eat them. I also have a support group here at home that i can call when i feel tempted. I commend you for recognizing what was happening and taking steps to get back on track that is awesome.

You are not alone!!!!
I have to not only throw it away in my kitchen garbage can, I have to take the bag out to the garage & put it into the big garbage can or I will keep eating it!

People think that having surgery is the easy way out. It’s not, we all still have to face our food demons. We have worked really hard for every pound loss & trying to keep it off is hard!

yep - those old habits die hard (if at all!). I don't beat myself over the head if I have one "bad" day, but I don't let it continue - I usually either put stuff in the freezer or give it away.

This is a tough time of the year for most of us where food is concerned, and it took strength to throw away the sweets. Praise yourself for doing that, and remember...it's all about progress. No one is looking for perfection. Merry Christmas!

Thanks for the wonderful replies! I'm now at the end of Jan, managed to lose 2 pounds, I'm a slow loser. There are no more Cookies, chocolate or any junk left in my house. I had to retrain my brain to increase the Protein and vegs and skip the Carbs for awhile. I feel much better, but amazed at how fast that sweet tooth came back. I'm under massive stress right now, I'm limited physically how much I can walk so meditation is my best freind right now. If I can meditate every other day, life stays under control. I love that there are so many sugar alternatives we can use for baking to fake out the sweet tooth!

Best wishes to all and Happy New Year.