Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Able to drink and eat normal 2 weeks Post Op

Hi guys. I am 1 week and a few days post Op from my sleeve surgery. I’m a little concern because I have notice that I am able to drink Water like normal. I’m also able to drink Protein Shakes without a problem. I had mash potato and I was able to eat a good amount without having to feel horrible. I know everyone is different. I just find it strange. Has anyone dealt with this? I’m just nervous that this surgery did not work.

I am nearly 5 years out, and I still can't drink a Protein Shake in less than a half hour. 🙃

I remember the day after my surgery, I had a barium swallow to test for leaks, assess the size of my stomach etc etc. Did your surgeon do that test?

I was (and still am) the same.

I've always been able to eat more and tolerate more than my fellow sleevers, at every point of the journey.

I worried like crazy about this (see my early posts...) but now I'm so grateful for the ability to eat "normally".

Try as much as you can to trust the process.

As long as you meet your Protein and Water needs, you should be okay.

I'd also say less mashed potato and more scrambled eggs or cottage cheese. That will affect your feeling of fullness.

I'm now very near my goal weight, just 7 months after surgery. I eat all types of food, nothing is off limits (apart from chocolate - my trigger food) and I eat between 1400 and 1800 calories a day and I'm still losing.

I am absolutely the same. I was too scared to even try anything during the liquid phase but when I got to pureed phase I tried chicken noodle Soup at an outing with no way to puree. I was able to keep it down. I have had no trouble with eating anything. I am only 5 weeks out and still not eating anything too heavy, too hard, or sugary at all but I was absolutely convinced the doc forgot to actually remove the stomach. Had it not been for the decrease in appetite and the filling full quickly I would have argued him on it, lol. I am able to drink Water like normal. If I drink Protein Shakes too quickly, like I often do when at work, I find I get just slightly nauseous, but it passes in like 15 minutes. I have hit a MAJOR weight loss stall though. I fear this may be part of the reason, I have done too much too fast. That being said, all the research I have done says you cannot stretch your stomach this soon after surgery and a weight loss stall early on is not uncommon. For now, I plan to keep doing what feels right and see how it goes! Thank you for your honest post, I was scared to admit I was moving faster along than prescribed!!