Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Average time off from work?

Hello! Just curious how long you needed off from work? I work from home so I am sitting all day… but did you take vacation time? FMLA?

Thank you!!

I also am working from home and I took 10 days off and wish I had taken more. Getting my fluids in was fine but I kept falling asleep at random times. I ended up just using my vacation time since I had a boatload of it. I didn't take FMLA since I never got a doctor's note. (they forgot)

I had surgery on Tuesday and was back to work (at home desk job) the following Monday. Pain wise, it was fine but I was exhausted. I had to take frequent rest breaks and took a nap every single day for the first 2 weeks back. Thankfully, my job allows a good bit of flexibility, but if I had to keep a more rigid schedule, more time off would have been necessary.

I had surgery on a Thursday, took the next week off, and went back to work the Monday after that (so I went back 11 days after my surgery). I could have gone back to work 5 days after my surgery (I have a desk job). I took vacation time because I didn't tell anyone I was having surgery.

I took three weeks off but could have gone back after two. I felt fine, just tired. Re: FMLA - it was several years ago so I don't remember exactly, but I don't think I bothered with FMLA. I had a lot of sick leave built up, so I just used that.

18 hours ago, AmandaD. said:

Hello! Just curious how long you needed off from work? I work from home so I am sitting all day… but did you take vacation time? FMLA?

Thank you!!

Amanda, I had one week off, but worked some.

I am mostly working from home as well. I requested one week off, but with my office in the spare bedroom and work piling up, I just couldn't stay away. That was my choice. My surgery was on a Thursday and by Monday I was working 4 to 5 hour days. I went back to full time work on Thursday, 1-week post-op.

On those half days I probably could have worked full 8-hour days if needed. But wanted to relax a little and use some of the leave I was approved to use.

Thank you for this post! It was nice reading how long others took off work. I work from home and I am only taking 3 full days off and then half days the rest of the week. I may just set up my computer right next to my bed so its easier LOL

I work with the school system and worked 5 weeks after my surgery with the ESY Summer school. With the exception of eating a little fast a couple times because I was talking and not paying attention, so I got that stuck feeling until I burped a couple times, I did fine. I even ran with some kids. Participated in everything and had a great 2 weeks. I'm back at my regular job (since August 2nd) and school starts in 3 days (August 10th) and other then nerves begging to be fed(I'm starting a new position) I'm doing really well. I come home worn out once I hit my front door and I'm asleep by 8:30pm but I have good energy throughout the day.

I don't allow snacking though other then a Protein Shake before school starts so that helps with nervous eating. I do have a couple different sources of protein(cheese squares in my mini fridge and beef jerky) in case I start feeling bad and need a boost. They are already portioned so i won't overeat. I don't know how much energy I'll need when I'm actually dealing with students.

I work from home, so at first I was thinking a week at max. I asked the United Healthcare Bariatric Program nurse this question (she works exclusively with bariatric surgery patients), and she recommended 2 week. She said it wasn't due to pain, but just because I'd be extra tired and likely would be suffering from brain fog if I tried to start back any sooner.

Hopefully that works, but I won't know until next month!