Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

So i had my surgery 4 weeks ago and i am self pay. I paid about $18K... Today i checked my insurance and looks like the hospital made a claim for the surgery... My responsibility amount... $40,000. when i saw that i was like WTF is this claim? Oh i am going to be making phone calls tomorrow... lmao. WTF. They trying to double dip. haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hospitals will bill insurance as a first line of coverage. They often don’t know the arrangement you’ve made directly with the surgeon. I’d give your surgeon’s office a call and also call the billing dept in the hospital to let them know you have an arrangement elsewhere .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sunshine Princess said:

Hospitals will bill insurance as a first line of coverage. They often don’t know the arrangement you’ve made directly with the surgeon. I’d give your surgeon’s office a call and also call the billing dept in the hospital to let them know you have an arrangement elsewhere .

the funny part is i could not even schedule the surgery until i called the hospital to pay. The surgeons office fee i paid there during my appointment. For a second i thought my insurance would pay it and i would get back my $18 grand lmao. But nope i can see in the claim already that they denied it and that i am responsible for the $40K LOL But i sure will be calling tomorrow several places.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told by the hospital & my insurance that my procedure would be covered, then I received a bill for $32k. I was back & forth with the hospital several times prior to my surgery when my original responsibility was $12k. Then after my surgery the price doubled. Nobody could explain to me why & I got hung up on every time I asked. When I look at the breakdown, I could see that the hospital billed my insurance for $151k, which is like 5x the amount of the surgery. But once again, nobody from the hospital can explain to me why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they usually charge insurance companies way more than they charge self-pays. Happened to me when I had plastic surgery. Once the insurance company denies it, you'll get the bill, and it should be whatever you agreed to pay the surgeon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Kay_G_B said:

I was told by the hospital & my insurance that my procedure would be covered, then I received a bill for $32k. I was back & forth with the hospital several times prior to my surgery when my original responsibility was $12k. Then after my surgery the price doubled. Nobody could explain to me why & I got hung up on every time I asked. When I look at the breakdown, I could see that the hospital billed my insurance for $151k, which is like 5x the amount of the surgery. But once again, nobody from the hospital can explain to me why.

Oh man, I would flip! I actually made sure I had a letter of approval from my insurance in my hands. I still ended up with $6400 out of pocket though. Insurance sucks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So i called the hospital this morning and the person was like "Yes you had surgery and you used your insurance" i was like BULL SHIZZ... i am self pay and i had to pay before i could even schedule my surgery. so now they gotta investigate and said they will let me know in 20 days... wtf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, liveaboard15 said:

So i called the hospital this morning and the person was like "Yes you had surgery and you used your insurance" i was like BULL SHIZZ... i am self pay and i had to pay before i could even schedule my surgery. so now they gotta investigate and said they will let me know in 20 days... wtf

They are so quick to tell you that you owe money but boy when it comes to them not getting money it takes FOREVER!

I hope you have receipts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh this happened to me. I was self pay, and then they were charging me for some sort of pathology which should have been included, I tried to get that taken care of, and then I received a bill for $32,000. 🤨 The billing department was useless and made it worse, so I went straight to my surgeon's office and they put the kibosh on it way faster than I could. I'd reach out to your surgeon's office, esp if there is someone there you dealt with for payment and logistics, and see if they can help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, kcuster83 said:

They are so quick to tell you that you owe money but boy when it comes to them not getting money it takes FOREVER!

I hope you have receipts.

Yup i sure do have all my receipts. and i paid with my debit card so those transactions are there :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, liveaboard15 said:

Yup i sure do have all my receipts. and i paid with my debit card so those transactions are there :)

Great! Always good to keep your bum covered! It is sad how many people learn that the hard way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • amazingmimi

      I feel like I've finally gotten past the biggest hurdle. Surgery date is September 6th, the day after Labor Day, and yesterday I got my insurance approval letter. I've followed everything they've told me to do, and I've even lost 30 lbs on my own since hubby had to change his diet for diabetes. No worries now about having to do 4 weeks of the liver shrinking diet instead of 2. On my initial visit, if I had gained just 5lbs I would have had to do 4 weeks. It's getting closer. Just 2 more months to wait.
      · 1 reply
      1. NmMd

        Although the prep work took energy, I found the biggest hurdle was post-operative. The first 48 hrs were extremely uncomfortable. I did an overnight and trying to down the liquids, Tylenol, and especially the barium was rough. Thankfully though, I got away with only having to have 1 belly injection after surgery. Needless are not my thing.

    • Grace1234

      I am brand new to this my surgery is tentative for July 27 depending on insurance and I'll be have the Gastric Sleeve.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Pepper1

      I am looking for people to connect with that are 4-5 years out. Many of the support sights I go to are all newbies. And while I enjoyed that when i first had my surgery and found it useful, I am looking to exchange ideas with folks that are out a few years. I am slowly gaining weight back and losing my excitement. I don't want that!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • SuziDavis

      I have a surgery date! I am getting sleeved on 8/17/2022!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Mudh8r

      How do you stay focused? I'm struggling a bit the past three days.  All I want is sweets and carbs.  I have no clue what changed but for some reason I'm craving hard.  I'm literally dreaming about food and when I wake up, I'm thinking about my next meal.  I'm not "hungry" but so munchy.  I'm trying to stay focused, busy, exercise and the likes but this looking struggle is getting to be so hard.  I meet with my nutritionist tomorrow and I'm so hopeful she has some advice.  My protein intake is great, liquids on point, even throwing in some raw veggies and berries to curb the sweet/carb craving.  Thoughts?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×