Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2022 surgery buddies

Friday afternoon I got the phone call that my surgery was approved by insurance and was given a March 1st surgery date. The wait is longer than I expected but it makes sense since my surgeon needs more time to complete the bypass (revising from sleeve due to GERD) and a hiatal hernia repair. Financially it works out better for me too. It gives me time to pay some extra on bills since I'll be out for 2+ weeks.

Between now and surgery day Inhave lots of appointments for labs, dietitian, pre-op physical with my PCP, and a huge appointment with my bariatric nurse and then a 1 hour appointment with my surgeon and another endoscopy. I get to do my surgeon's 10 day pre-op diet again. This is bringing back a lot of memories from when I had the sleeve 7 years ago.

The post op diet has changed during that time. food texture progression is much slower this time. I think that will be good though.

Sent from my Z6201V using BariatricPal mobile app

March 21st is my surgery date for revision. Proximal gastric bypass to distal. Good luck to you.

1 minute ago, gabbykittyvsg said:

I hope your time will fly by as fast as it's flown by for me. 2 days for me and 23 for you.

You must be excited. I know I am, but it was a relief getting approved after the 6 month process. My surgeon has a crappy bedside manner (but is the best revision surgeon in the area) and stressed me out at our first meeting in pre-op for the egd, telling me getting insurance to pay for revisions is next to impossible but I can self pay. Single mom here, so no, I can't self pay. Needless to say, after the egd, he had to do more testing due to undigested food still in my pouch after a twelve hr fast, discovered slow motility and he was suddenly singing a different tune. "I will get this approved". I meet with him one last time on the 3rd for my pre-op instructions. I quit smoking for this and am determined to get to goal wait even if it is slower going.

I'll be watching and waiting to hear how things go for you!

I am super super excited!! I'm having trouble sleeping at this point. I'm so damn calm, no anxiety. My approval process for revision was around 3 weeks from the day I had the endoscopy to the day I got the phone call telling me the good news. With the kind of reflux damage I have surgery almost always happens. I had a second scope a few weeks ago and the damage had gotten worse, not better. However, the ulcers did heal thanks to the medication they put me on.

I didn't really have any food funerals. I had a few things I wanted to eat one last time, but was very underwhelmed with all of it. Yes, there will be some food I'll miss but I've been wanting to get sugar out of my diet anyhow. I'm more ready for the change this time than for my sleeve 7 years ago. I'd love to lose another 25 pounds to get down to 160. I think it's very realistic.

Are you having any food funerals or are you kinda sick of food as thus point?

I'm not really having food funerals. Partly, I think, because I had a really bad infection in October from a cat bite that basically had me super sick from the industrial strength antibiotics they had me on. Completely lost my appetite, and although I can and am eating now, I'm just not feeling the need to binge. Though, I did get some dairy queen last night lol and I had a couple of drinks. Might have some carb heavy meals before starting my pre-op diet, but other than that, I'm more focused on my goals.

After 21 years, 10 years of which I've been trying to get Dr's to understand the severity of the stomach issues I have, I know what this lifestyle looks like. I didn't gain back any of the weight from my original surgery, but I never got to goal weight either. I have about another 75-95 lbs to lose. I know this time around it's not going to come off as easily or quickly, but I'm ready to put in the work.

Only thing that's a bummer is, the surgery is about 2 weeks before my 50th, so no birthday cake for me (unless it's a cake flavored Protein Drink lol).

I'm not really having food funerals. Partly, I think, because I had a really bad infection in October from a cat bite that basically had me super sick from the industrial strength antibiotics they had me on. Completely lost my appetite, and although I can and am eating now, I'm just not feeling the need to binge. Though, I did get some dairy queen last night lol and I had a couple of drinks. Might have some carb heavy meals before starting my pre-op diet, but other than that, I'm more focused on my goals.

After 21 years, 10 years of which I've been trying to get Dr's to understand the severity of the stomach issues I have, I know what this lifestyle looks like. I didn't gain back any of the weight from my original surgery, but I never got to goal weight either. I have about another 75-95 lbs to lose. I know this time around it's not going to come off as easily or quickly, but I'm ready to put in the work.

Only thing that's a bummer is, the surgery is about 2 weeks before my 50th, so no birthday cake for me (unless it's a cake flavored Protein Drink lol).

Celebrate your birthday early!! There's no law saying you can't

Hi all! I'm booked in for surgery next week, so I'd love to be a March buddy!

I'm having a sleeve gastrectomy on the 10th, so only 5 days to go. Felling pretty anxious today about everything, but hoping that I get back to feeling as excited and positive I have over the last few weeks since I found out my date.

I hope those who have already had their surgery are doing well and that recovery is going ok, and good luck to all those who are still to come this month xx

Started my pre-op diet today. It's starting to feel real.

10 hours ago, Nifer72 said:

Started my pre-op diet today. It's starting to feel real.

Exciting times! Good luck with it 🙂

I'm coming to the end of my pre-op diet, my surgery is scheduled for Thursday..!

3 hours ago, Woodstock23 said:

Exciting times! Good luck with it 🙂

I'm coming to the end of my pre-op diet, my surgery is scheduled for Thursday..!

Good luck to you too!

On 2/27/2022 at 1:13 AM, Nifer72 said:

March 21st is my surgery date for revision. Proximal gastric bypass to distal. Good luck to you.

Our day is coming! 3 more sleeps!!!