Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preparing for Surgery

Hello! I just got my surgery date in March, pending insurance approval. I’m wondering what tools/gadgets/foods/vitamins you stocked up on before hand? What did you take with you to the hospital? Thanks!

I wouldn't stock up on much food because you're really not going to be eating much the first few weeks, and the first couple of weeks you're likely to be just having Protein Shakes and very low (or no) calorie fluids. You'll probably be able to go to the grocery store by the time you move on to purees or soft foods - if not before. I was driving about a week after surgery. But pick up some Protein Powder or ready to drink shakes before you go to the hospital since you'll be drinking those as soon as you get home. samples (individual packets) are great if you can find some, since you're not going to like all brands and you don't want to get stuck with some 2 lb tub - or a case of ready to drink shakes - that you end up not liking. So maybe a handful of some individual servings of three or four different brands. I guess you could also pick up some sugar free popsicles and sugar free Jello if you like those, and maybe some broth - since those you can eat right away too. But see what your surgeon's plan is. Some surgeons have patients move to purees quicker than others (I was able to start on them as soon as I got home from the hospital, although that's not common) - so I also had things like sugar free pudding and Greek yogurt on hand. But most people don't start eating those until they're a couple of weeks out.

you can get your Vitamins beforehand since you'll probably start taking those pretty quickly after surgery, and you'll already know what types and what amounts you'll need to take.

I used my blender a lot (and still do), so maybe pick up one of those if you don't already have one. And a food scale (you won't need it right away, but you'll need it fairly quickly). I also got some ramekins in a couple of different sizes and some baby spoons, but that's probably optional (I still use those, though! It's easier to "eyeball" portions when I'm putting my food in an 8 oz ramekin - or 4 oz - or whatever) - and I love using a baby spoon for eating things like yogurt!)

I slept most of the time I was at the hospital, so I really didn't need anything other than my phone and charger. I think I might have brought toiletries, but they gave me a bag of those at the hospital (deodorant, Shampoo, a disposable toothbrush and small tube of toothpaste), so I really didn't need them. Oh - wear comfy, loose clothing that's easy to get on and off so you can manage dressing yourself before you leave the hospital. I wore the same outfit home that I did when I went to the hospital. A lot of people like to have Biotin spray (or the generic equivalent) because your mouth can be dry after surgery. Other than that....???

The baby spoons sound like a really good idea! I’ll get some of those. I think I’ll also get some ramekins. Thanks for the information!

Be sure to bring a charger for your phone/kindle and make sure the cord is long - you never know how far the plug will be from where you are. I ended up having to stay in the hospital an extra night as my white blood cell count hadn’t come down enough for my doctor the day after surgery (even though I felt fine) so be prepared that may happen. I brought my own lotion too; it made me feel better to put that on after surgery.

You might order a binder for your waist; my hospital gave me one but I don’t think that is universal as it depends on the surgeon.

I second catwoman’s recommendation for a good blender - you will need it especially when you get to the purée stage.

I would caution against ordering the Vitamins too early unless you know which ones specifically your surgeon wants you taking. For example, there is a brand that was on my approved list but only for the pill not the chewable version.

sugar free popsicles have been a lifesaver for me, especially in the first week after surgery. If I could figure out how to get them without the grape ones, life would be great. 🤪