Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dizziness after eating

I have been battling with eating, still barely sipping my liquid foods and Protein Shakes. But any time I eat or attempt to, I feel dizzy and can barely eat enough. No pre-conditions before surgery and I lost 20+ pounds in 9 days post surgery. After eating i have to lay down or I'd pass out or fall. I start panting, breathing fast and I have to lay down to catch my breath. Anyone has this....I'm just now 10days post surgery.

I'm having this BEFORE eating, but I think a trip to your doctor should be the next step 😕

Good luck, be safe ❤️

Definitely contact your medical team & make an appointment for as soon as possible.

Good luck.

I had a similar experience, most important thing is to reach out to your team. Good luck

Reached out to the team, they have said its 'dumping' which also happens with gastric sleeve. I am now 16days after surgery; I started trying soft food but no good. I can barely take a spoon before I get tired. But hoping things will get better before the 1 month mark.

Oh gosh I'm sorry. It's the #1 thing I'm wary of (mainly because of the name - could we do better doctors??).

Let us know how you get on, sending good luck your way ❤️

Reached out to the team, they have said its 'dumping' which also happens with gastric sleeve. I am now 16days after surgery; I started trying soft food but no good. I can barely take a spoon before I get tired. But hoping things will get better before the 1 month mark.
What kind of things are you eating? I am on soft foods as well and I am terrified of dumping. I'm trying to stay away from carbohydrates as much as possible and I haven't had any major issues.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Sugar can make you dump. It’s not as common with sleevers but it does happen. Check the sugar content of what you’re eating - there could be some hidden sugars.

I had my first episode of dumping this morning and I literally thought I was going to die.

I hadn't eaten anything. I had just taken my morning medication with some sugar free Powerade. My bowels got super loose, and I made it to the bathroom just in time. I got extremely dizzy and lightheaded, started sweating and I was worried I was having a heart attack and there was no way an ambulance could get there fast enough and I was going to die for sure... and then I started dry heaving. Nothing came up, but as I dry heaved, the other symptoms subsided almost immediately.

I hollered to my fiance "Honey!! I think I'm dumping!

And then everything settled and I was just weak and shaky.

If that's dumping, and it's unpredictable as to when it can happen, even when I haven't eaten anything, well that's just scary.

I hope your symptoms resolved. I sympathize deeply.

On 10/31/2020 at 7:05 PM, Bwa said:

What kind of things are you eating? I am on soft foods as well and I am terrified of dumping. I'm trying to stay away from carbohydrates as much as possible and I haven't had any major issues.

I was still on liquids at that point tbh... but it's better now. And I cannot lie, carbs did it for me! Maybe because my culture, our main cuisines are carb based, so when I moved to carbs, I was able to hold it down. So now I take tiny bits of boiled yam, nigerian Soups, I had boiled egg the other day etc...I felt great and happy! The only thing is I made sure to chew really really well. I'm about 20days post op now.

Also during the time I wasnt able to eat, I stopped losing weight! The doc said it's because my body went into starvation mode; I wasnt peeing, wasnt able to empty my bowels, always lying down etc.

It's hard sticking to british diets that I'm not used to, soups I never had in my life before. But once I switched to my Nigerian meals, things got better gradually. Just ate slow, chewed well and never ate more than 5 spoons.