Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Year and half post surgery

Its been a struggle, but would do it again. I'm having some nutritional problems. I've only lost about 100 lbs and still have 100 to go and at a standstill. I'm severely malnourished, deficient in Iron even after 8 weeks of weekly iron injections. Deficient in all B Vitamins, monthly B12 injections now. Magnesium, Vitamin D, ect..... as you can see, my body isn't absorbing the vitamins and minerals needed. I'm always very tired, which cuts down on my activity. Completed 37 rounds of radiation for cancer a couple months ago, caring for my mom who just had open heart surgery. Extremely stressed to say the least, Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I really need to get back on track, I need to lose this last 100 lbs and correct all these deficiencies. Please help!

4 hours ago, Alyssn1011 said:

Its been a struggle, but would do it again. I'm having some nutritional problems. I've only lost about 100 lbs and still have 100 to go and at a standstill. I'm severely malnourished, deficient in Iron even after 8 weeks of weekly Iron injections. Deficient in all B Vitamins, monthly B12 injections now. Magnesium, Vitamin D, ect..... as you can see, my body isn't absorbing the Vitamins and minerals needed. I'm always very tired, which cuts down on my activity. Completed 37 rounds of radiation for cancer a couple months ago, caring for my mom who just had open heart surgery. Extremely stressed to say the least, Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I really need to get back on track, I need to lose this last 100 lbs and correct all these deficiencies. Please help!

So sorry to hear you've been through so much.. I had bypass as well but only 9 months post op but my blood work has been good thus far..

Keep positive you'll get to the end eventually, I'm now in maintenance..

It is possible

I’m so sorry you’re going through all this. Radiation therapy is very taxing on your body & that in itself would exhaust you & stress your body. No wonder you’re not absorbing nutrients & are malnourished. Plus you’re caring for a parent. Another stress. And that’s without considering your weight loss journey which is not easy.

Unfortunately, until you can dedicate time to take care of you, you are going to struggle to get your health & strength back. Do you have any support from other family members? Do you have respite services available locally for your mother just to give you a break for a couple of days? This is always a difficult decision because you want to be able to care for your mother but your health is suffering & if it worsens you won’t be able to care for yourself let alone anyone else.

I do understand, even though I haven’t had your health concerns. For two years, I traveled 90 mins to my parents on Friday after work to give my mother a break from caring for my dad (cancer, mobility issues, etc.). Then Sunday afternoon I’d travel back to my home to prepare for work on Monday. I was emotionally, mentally & physically exhausted. I was getting up before 5am so I could do my washing, clean my house, pay my bills & struggled to get my grocery shopping done. But you do it for those you love.

Also have you got a dietician or nutritionalist supporting you during your weight loss? They should advise you on how to improve & boost your nutrition. Are you still taking all your Vitamins?

Thank you for your comments. Yes I'm still taking all my Vitamins as well as the injections. Seems like oral intake isn't working but I'll continue to take them. My Drs are doing all they can. Have a follow up with oncologist on Monday, and with Radiation Oncologist on Tuesday. Will get more input on how to proceed. I'm not giving up! Keep plugging along until I reach my goals!

So sorry to hear you've been through so much.. I had bypass as well but only 9 months post op but my blood work has been good thus far..
Keep positive you'll get to the end eventually, I'm now in maintenance..
It is possible
New&Improved! This is the nicest, most level headed thing I've seen you say on here. It's lovely to see!

I’m going from a sleeve to bypass in a couple of months. Almost no Iron , lowBs, low Calcium. Taking high doses of calcium and Bs, but will be having iron infusions in 2 weeks. pills and shots aren’t enough. Ask you doctor about infusion, maybe you’ll only need a couple, then back to shots or pills. Try to take care of yourself, because you can’t take care of others if you’re out of commission! God bless you!