Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband removed now wanting a sleeve

I’ve had a lapband removed 3 years ago and now wanting a sleeve. I’ve researched surgeons and got myself confused. I want a state of the art type hospital, ideally English speaking and a 36-38F bougie. I’ve researched this and smaller bougie sizes can cause problems. Who are the top 5 best of the best surgeons who operate in 5* type facilities?

I like the look of these 4 so far:

Mexico - Dr Ilan - no negatives so far! Lots of positives

Obesity Control Center - Dr Ortiz - this was my favourite but major downside uses 32 bougie and cost is $7000.

LiMARP -Dr. Liza María Pompa González

Dr Altamirano - $4500 is it an outdated hospital? Procedures take place at night and seen a lot of people with bruising from the bloods. Best price I’ve seen including hiatus hernia repair if found and no extra as I’ve had my band removed plus his surgery is quick & no drain which I like. Discharge notes in Spainish and no dvd of surgery given.

Any advice would be helpful!

This covid virus means I can’t travel at the moment but I am wanting it soon!

Hi MeInLondon,

Dr. Illan uses a 34 bougie. He performs all surgeries at Hospital BC, a Center of Excellence for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeries.

Oh! By the way, Dr. Illan is a Surgeon of Excellence and a Master Surgeon in Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeries.

Let me know if you need more info.

Hi MeInLondon,

Why do you feel using a size 32 bougie at OCC is a bad thing? I had my surgery done at OCC because they use a size 32 bougie and because of Dr. Ortiz's experience and excellence. I am 13 months post op, I have had zero side effects or complications from the surgery. I am very happy with the weight loss results and post op outcome. I highly recommend Dr. Ortiz and a size 32 bougie. My biggest concern before the surgery was that my pouch after VSG would be large and I could still over eat.

Edited by Ninabnina77

Also Dr. Ortiz did not use a drain on me, my procedure early morning and I had minimal bruising. There was five tiny incisions made from the surgery, the sites have healed beautifully and are barely noticeable. They will eventually fade and disappear.

Edited by Ninabnina77

Hi, thanks for replying! I just feel like I want a bigger bougie. I’m going band to sleeve even though my band is now removed. I think the small sleeve will be too restrictive and I’ve read a small bougie can cause problems with strictures etc.. I really liked my band and am wanting similar restriction but of course we won’t know that until I’m sleeved!

I understand this is a personal decision, but I will be honest with you, sometimes I think I should have gotten the mini gastric bypass. I wish my stomach was smaller than this so I would have more restriction. I can easily eat 1 cup or more of food every hour. I still battle head hunger all the time and if I make the wrong food choices and eat every hour, I will not only not lose weight but gain weight too. The battle in my head is very hard on me, hence why I feel if I had more restriction (where I had no room to eat) and malabsorption the the mini gastric bypass (a lot less than you have with regular gastric bypass) it would make battling my head hunger better because physically I would have no room to overeat or eat all through the day.

Some people get dumping syndrome with gastric sleeve, I am considered lucky not to get it. But I now wish I got it so it would prevent me from indulging my sweet tooth all the time.

Anyway, I hope my story will help so you can chose what's best for you.

Btw, I can easily eat 2 cups of food in one sitting with no problems what's so ever. I measure and weigh everything because I am terrified of overeating and enlarging my pouch.

The the entire staff at OCC was fluent in English, very nice, professional and helpful. The center itself was very nice.

If OCC is still your favorite and first choice and you really want a larger bougie used, call and set up a Skype consult with Dr. Ortiz and ask him if he can use a larger bougie for you and discuss your concerns. Before choosing OCC I scheduled a skype consult with Dr. Ortiz myself too. In my opinion it's very important you see and talk to the surgeon yourself, trust and like him/her.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I wish you the best on your upcoming weight loss surgery and journey.

Edited by Ninabnina77

Thank you so much! This is so helpful. I hadn’t thought about some of the stuff you were talking about with the eating and regain. Yes I’m certain I need a fully English speaking surgeon and discharge notes in English!

Your very welcome. Dr. Ortiz speaks perfect English and he lives in San Diego with his wife and daughter. He commutes to Tijuana to do his surgeries, see his patients and run his clinic (this fact made me feel a lot more comfortable with making the final decision in choosing him). As you can tell, I did loads and loads of research on this procedure, him and the OCC center, which has been named as a international center of excellence.

Here is a link that may give you a better idea of Dr. Ortiz and his center.

When I did this surgery, I had no one to help me or advise me. I was terrified about going to Tijuana and coming back experiencing major complications. All my family and friends were terrified and told me not to go to this surgery in Mexico. I did not even know about this community that could help me on bariatricpal until I was post op. I hope by sharing my experience and story I will be able to help you and others to not feel so alone (like I did) and make the right decision that fits your needs and gives you the results you seek. I feel so blessed that I found OCC and Dr. Ortiz.

I know there are lots of Dr.'s in Mexico who charge less. But to me, paying the $7 k but knowing I made the best decision I could to chose the best center and surgeon for my needs was worth every penny. The last thing I wanted was to come back home to the US and deal with side effects and complications post op all alone, face my family and friends and deal with their "I told you so".

Edited by Ninabnina77

I am going to get a sleeve in Mexico. I've never had my choice is down to two 1) Dr Elias Ortiz & 2) Dr. Ponce, at Ponce Bariatric. They are both the same cost but Dr. Ponce can get me in by the end of this month (June) so I'm leaning that way. I also had a lap band removed three years ago. So I'd like to have a good restriction because I'm paranoid I won't lose weight with the sleeve... I don't have that much weight to lose, 40 pounds, but to me it's a matter of sustaining this the rest of my life. Every time the scale goes up I have a freak out! 😂 Can you all tell me how much weight you lost going from band to sleeve? Thanks!

Hiya, wow our situation is the same. Dr Ponce was my very first choice but he’s not English speaking & this is v important to me! I liked everything about them though. I had the consult with Dr Fraye and they use a 36F. The other one of your surgeon choice isn’t a consideration for me. I’ve not seen a lot of positives so that’d be a no. Like you I also don’t have a lot to lose. I also have 40 pounds to lose.

Dr Fraye & Dr Ponce work together. They are a very experienced team so I am sure you’ll be in good hands. No I haven’t planned a date yet. Let me know how you get on. I’m guessing we must be similar weight by how much we have to lose!