Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spanking

Massachusetts could become the first state to make it illegal for parents to spank their children. Today, at the Massachusetts State House, the hearing for a bill to ban the practice was standing room only - From ABCNews.com

I personally think spanking is child abuse, but I have a friend who insists that it is the best way to discipline his son. When he was a child he was beat quite severly by his mother but still insists on using this method of discipline.

I'm ashamed to admit that my hometown in New Hampshire is an hour away from the "great" state of Massachusetts...sigh! Things have been going downhill there IMHO since I left several years ago.

Wonder what they will regulate next? Hmmm....

Spare the rod, spoil the child.

Let me first start by saying there is a fine line between discipline and child abuse. However, a slight swat on the behind can instill fear in my 6 yr old.

Second, I find it HORRIBLE that any state would think that it is a political matter how a parent disciplines their child. I think this states politicians have nothing better to do.

Just my honest opinion though.

There is no easy answer for this. Some parents are child abusers and should never lay a hand on any child because they have no control over their anger. On the other hand, I have swatted my kids in frustration from time to time. One unplaned swat, not a planned spanking, beating or corporal punishment as they called it in school. I think a law like that could really become way too complicated. Where do you draw the line? Is a frustrated parent who swats their kid on the butt guilty of something that needs intervetion by the govt?

There are parents who are abusive and they need to be stopped, but I would hate to see a law like that become so invasive that a loving parent who swats their kid on the behind would have the police at their door.

Spare the rod, spoil the child.

Let me first start by saying there is a fine line between discipline and child abuse. However, a slight swat on the behind can instill fear in my 6 yr old.

Second, I find it HORRIBLE that any state would think that it is a political matter how a parent disciplines their child. I think this states politicians have nothing better to do.

Just my honest opinion though.

Exactly ! My father only spanked me once. It wasn't a crazy out of hand one but he never needed to do it again. Out of shame of upsetting him.

I'm 1/2 and 1/2 on this...I'm reading in my newspaper about Baby Grace, found nearby to where I live. Her mother and step-father beat her with belt, then shoved her head under Water, then threw her to the tile floor before stuffing her face into the sofa pillows.

Their claim? They were disciplining her. She was 2 years old.

Some people are too stupid, and children are too vulnerable to assholes like that.

Unfortunately, people don't know the difference between a swat on the bottom (which I have done, and feel okay about because I was in control of my emotions at the time) and outright abuse.

But, who draws the line? The decent folks don't need a law....it's the jerks that do.

And, I think ultimately I'm okay with a law that protects kids from people like that.

I'm 1/2 and 1/2 on this...I'm reading in my newspaper about Baby Grace, found nearby to where I live. Her mother and step-father beat her with belt, then shoved her head under Water, then threw her to the tile floor before stuffing her face into the sofa pillows.

Their claim? They were disciplining her. She was 2 years old.

Some people are too stupid, and children are too vulnerable to assholes like that.

Unfortunately, people don't know the difference between a swat on the bottom (which I have done, and feel okay about because I was in control of my emotions at the time) and outright abuse.

But, who draws the line? The decent folks don't need a law....it's the jerks that do.

And, I think ultimately I'm okay with a law that protects kids from people like that.

But there are laws in place for child abuse. This bill is being presented for the intention of making any corporal punishment to a child illegal. Don't get me wrong. No one else can lay a hand on my child, not her daycare, not her school, no one but me and my husband, so I take my duties as a parent very seriously. But a swat on the but is nothing compared to killing a child. Some people are just sick individuals.

But there are laws in place for child abuse. This bill is being presented for the intention of making any corporal punishment to a child illegal. Don't get me wrong. No one else can lay a hand on my child, not her daycare, not her school, no one but me and my husband, so I take my duties as a parent very seriously. But a swat on the but is nothing compared to killing a child. Some people are just sick individuals.

I know...that's why I'm 1/2 and 1/2. Time out never worked for my daughter. I've spanked her probably twice in her life (she's 10). For the most part, taking away something she loved was the best thing, and for the really bad times, a swat worked wonders. Kind of like, "Huh?! What was that???"

But, again, how do you protect kids of parents who think spanking is with a belt? or worse?

Perhaps if the law disallowed anyone hitting their child with something...? I don't know. I don't have the answer. I know it's just sad when some people go to far, and then it's too late.

But, then again the ones who don't care enough about their kids aren't going to care about the law that protects them.

(see? half and half!!! I can't decide)

I know...that's why I'm 1/2 and 1/2. Time out never worked for my daughter. I've spanked her probably twice in her life (she's 10). For the most part, taking away something she loved was the best thing, and for the really bad times, a swat worked wonders. Kind of like, "Huh?! What was that???"

But, again, how do you protect kids of parents who think spanking is with a belt? or worse?

Perhaps if the law disallowed anyone hitting their child with something...? I don't know. I don't have the answer. I know it's just sad when some people go to far, and then it's too late.

But, then again the ones who don't care enough about their kids aren't going to care about the law that protects them.

(see? half and half!!! I can't decide)

LOL. I know exactly what you mean. The law isn't strict enough on those who cross the line, but then wants to repress those who don't. Nothing is perfect, eh? (threw the eh in for green :D)

I was spanked as a child and I respect my parents for it. I spank my child too. If you leave a mark or a bruise, its abuse, but a swat on the butt or hand is effective IMO. I look at it this way. I have a 2 year old. He is too young for me to sit down and have a philosophical talk about why he shouldn't do certain things. If I tell him no and he continues to do something that may harm him, he will not understand me talking to him. But if I swat him, he will remember next time that if I do this, I get spanked. He remembers that.

I am a firm believer in spanking..

what people dont get is that its not nessarily the pain that works, its the acknowledgement that O crap I crossed the line! and the fear of the hand/paddle/belt.

Spanking is an effective tool if used with the proper respect. I had enough respect for my parents that when I crossed the line and got one, I knew I deserved it

Plus, parents who do spank too much are just going to find other ways to disipline...my dads favorite..we had a fireplace with a brick seat, we would hang our heels over the edge while holding a penny against the mantel with our nose..OUCH!! Tell you what I never called my sister a Doo-doo head infront of my parents again!!

Are they stipulating no hand spanking or object spanking or what.. I used to get those stupid paddles with the ball attached to a string which broke after five minutes of frusterated swinging..then my mom had a new paddle to keep in the car..

But I was spanked, and Im fine. I dont abuse animals, children or old people. I dont have an outrageous temper and dont resort to physical violence. I was spanked/not abused..how can some politican tell the difference?

I have swatted my son once in a while, and felt quite bad for it, but after a long line of other discipline tools that didn't work, I had to resort to something. I don't think it should be done every week or even every month - but when they're totally out of control and nothing else works ...

I must say since I moved to Arkansas I have been freer in the spank mode - it's very prevalent here compared to where I lived in Canada. I even saw a BILLBOARD, if you can believe it, all it said was, "Spare the rod, spoil the child," with the Bible verse underneath it. I couldn't believe that - like someone felt the need to ADVERTISE this!! How sick is that?

I have swatted my son once in a while, and felt quite bad for it, but after a long line of other discipline tools that didn't work, I had to resort to something. I don't think it should be done every week or even every month - but when they're totally out of control and nothing else works ...

I must say since I moved to Arkansas I have been freer in the spank mode - it's very prevalent here compared to where I lived in Canada. I even saw a BILLBOARD, if you can believe it, all it said was, "Spare the rod, spoil the child," with the Bible verse underneath it. I couldn't believe that - like someone felt the need to ADVERTISE this!! How sick is that?

The further south you go, the further into the Bible belt you get. Believe me. I know. I am from Louisiana. Christianity is almost a cult down here. (J/K) :D But that's way off topic.

The further south you go, the further into the Bible belt you get. Believe me. I know. I am from Louisiana. Christianity is almost a cult down here. (J/K) :D But that's way off topic.

Oh, man, I'm finding that out! I've really had to cut out the, "Oh, MY GOD's!!!" when I'm in public here. haha I have a very loud voice when boisterous and have caused quite a few dirty looks my way. :) I'm learning though!

Oh, man, I'm finding that out! I've really had to cut out the, "Oh, MY GOD's!!!" when I'm in public here. haha I have a very loud voice when boisterous and have caused quite a few dirty looks my way. :D I'm learning though!

I understand. Someone at work was asking me a question about who did something at work and I jokingly said " the man upstairs" talking about the BIG BOSS. They told me what I said was blasphemous! :omg: Wasn't even thinking about the other "man upstairs". :)