Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

sleeping position/port pain

Any of you guys that are vets at this...I have noticed that trying to lay/sleep on my right side is WAY more painful than the left, especially in the port area. I am 9 days post-op. Any ideas??? I'm tired of sleeping on my back!

For me, the left side was worse. I found that sleeping with a pillow tucked under my belly really helped. I sleep with a body pillow -- one end is tucked between my knees and the other end under my belly with my arms around it. I've always slept this way but it especially helped in the first few weeks after surgery.

The pain shouldn't last much longer. Take care!

Don't worry the pain will be gone in a few weeks after surgery. I used a pillow for support and slept on my left side. Also, some nights I slept sitting up with lots of pillows behind my back..just for a change.

I am 10 days post op and still just getting to the point where I could probably comfortably lay on my left side (port side). If I lay on the right side, I feel like the port is pulling. I don't know why that is. I tried the body pillow thing - didn't work for me. I've even tried tucking some of the comforter under my tummy. I'm sick of laying on my back, too! It gets old. I think time is the only thing that'll really help.

Well...let me add - surprisingly, fully clothed on the couch, I can lay on my right side with the back of the couch supporting me. Maybe you could try sleeping on the couch just to get a different position.

This is also a problem I am having. I was a stomach sleeper so I have been really struggling since surgery 11-6. My answer has been the couch so I can tilt a little to my right side. I tried to lay on my left side and my stomach once and I thought I had ripped out everything the dr did. Needless to say I won't be so quick to try that for awhile!!! Thanks for the body pillow suggestion, maybe that will give me another alternative....if my daughter will give her's up for me to try! I thought maybe something was wrong with my surgery because I couldn't lay on my left side. How long do you think it will take until I can go back to my stomach or my left side? I know it's different for everyone but it's good to hear other's experiences. This website is a life saver on this journey!! Thanks everyone.

Penny

I'm with longhorn. Get a body pillow. It saved the day for me. I slept for about 3 hours on my port side about 6 days post op. It hurt getting rolled over, but once I had the body pillow positioned properly, it was heaven. Now it feels good to put my belly right up against my DH's back. The warmth and support is wonderful.