Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My hair is falling out in a handfuls. I hadn't been getting in even close to all my Protein until about 2 weeks ago. I figured out a Protein Shake that has about 55 grams now and I started on biotene about 1.5 weeks ago. Anyone know how looking it takes this stuff to correct after you start getting protein in and taking biotene?

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm sorry I don't know the answers, but wanted to say I'm 4 months post-op and mine is coming out too.

I didn't think I would have to worry about it because my hair is fairly thick, but I'm panicking.

I never started the bioten, (although I had purchased a bottle before surgery) because I was stupid.

Now I went out and bought gummies for hair, skin, and nails. I also bought Shampoo and conditioner that has Biotin in it.

Hopefully the combination will help me from losing even more hair, although I've only been taking it for 2 weeks.

Good luck to you and I both🤞🤞

I started taking the hair, Skin and Nails gummies after I attended the seminar (5 mon before surgery). I switched to Biotin when I had the surgery and I don't think either made a difference. My hair started falling out at about 5 mon and now at almost 9 mon seems to be slowing down. I had a lot to start with so I'm ok with the loss. It just means I don't have to sweep the bathroom tile everyday and pick hair off my clothing! I've gotten my Protein in most days.

Sorry I don't think there is much that can prevent the Hair loss. I think it is more to do with the anesthesia or the hormone fluxation as I haven't heard of anyone that hasn't been a victim to it. The Biotin will help new hair grow but won't help prevent current hair from falling out.

Edited by KCgirl061

Hi guys:)

I'm a little over a year out and I went through losing my hair for about three months. I was terrified! But it does get better. It slows then stops and the regrowth starts and all is well again.

I am 100 lbs down in my first year and hair is fine. Unfortunately we have to deal with the hair falling out, sometimes the lose skin but when we see the weight lose and feel all the energy it's all worth it. Hang in there. I promise it won't last long.

Good luck to you and Happy Losing!!

Hair loss is something that I think is pretty inevitable, only the degree of loss will vary from person to person. As has been mentioned, Biotin doesn't really help with the loss, just with the regrowth. And please make sure your medical team knows that you're taking it. You need to stop taking it 2 weeks before any blood work. It can be read as a thyroid problem.

Yes, the majority will have Hair loss, sometimes a lot. My hair looked terrible for a long time. It is much better now. I still take Biotin, and an extra folic acid. For me folic seems to make hair grow a little faster. I also have been using Zenagen Shampoo - expensive as heck - but it has improved my hair so much, it came in thicker. My daughters also use it and have had improvements, we all have very fine hair.

Ok so.... just wanted to post this. Our nutritionists say we can’t absorb more than 25 g of Protein in one sitting. Just wanted to throw that out there, but if you’re drinking that shake all day I’m sure it’s ok.
Yes, it takes all day but I'm grateful for that for absorption reasons.

Hair loss is something that I think is pretty inevitable, only the degree of loss will vary from person to person. As has been mentioned, Biotin doesn't really help with the loss, just with the regrowth. And please make sure your medical team knows that you're taking it. You need to stop taking it 2 weeks before any blood work. It can be read as a thyroid problem.

So funny. They told me to take it and didn't tell me to quit 2 weeks before and I am getting blood work at my appointment in August.

1 minute ago, Jezzabelle360 said:

So funny. They told me to take it and didn't tell me to quit 2 weeks before and I am getting blood work at my appointment in August.

Wow... well at least they know you're taking it. Even the mayo Clinic says to stop taking it a minimum of two weeks before blood work.

So when does Hair loss usually start?