Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Update on my stricture and second endoscopy

Well, I'm feeling a wee bit discouraged. Had my second endoscopy today. First one was ten days ago. Surgeon said I was the worst case he had ever seen in 19 years of practice. Not a statistic I wanted to hear. They couldn't perform any stretching because of ulcerations and swelling, so he gave me a large dose of steroids and they woke me up. They want to get the opening to 11 mm, and mine is around 8 right now. They can't get the 9mm scope thru the opening. He says is repeat endoscopies don't work we will have to wait 4 months and re operate to redo the connection between my pouch and intestines.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I am so sorry to hear this. I suppose for the next four months they are trying to heal up the ulcers prior to redoing the surgery? Can they remove the ulcerated sections sooner? I don't understand the repeat endoscopies don't work thing.... I know a number of people on here have had strictures that required several endoscopies to continue stretching it out. My coworker's brother has had two already.

Thanks, I made a typo! It was supposed to say, "if" repeat endoscopies dont work... then we'll have to re-operate. Sorry for any confusion [emoji4]

Ugh, you poor thing.

Can I just ask... with your restriction, have you found that you have lost any weight, or is your body holding on to every pound? I think I might have a stricture and I've been throwing up a fair bit. You would think that I'd be dropping pounds like crazy, but I haven't. I'm just wondering about your experience.

I'm sorry you are going through this, it sounds terrible!

Keep positive and praying it gets better!

Ugh, you poor thing.
Can I just ask... with your restriction, have you found that you have lost any weight, or is your body holding on to every pound? I think I might have a stricture and I've been throwing up a fair bit. You would think that I'd be dropping pounds like crazy, but I haven't. I'm just wondering about your experience.
Hi, Froufrou, my weight loss has been pretty slow compared to others. Im 6 weeks out and have lost 22 pounds. I think my body is clinging on to every pound. I consume about 450 calories a day in the form of Protein Shakes. Your surgeon can do an upper GI series to determine if you have a stricture. I hope you don't!!

I'm sorry you are going through this, it sounds terrible!
Keep positive and praying it gets better!
Thanks, gabybab! I'm trying to keep my chin up!! I just read that 1/3 of patients with marginal ulcers and stricture need to have a revision to the RNY to re-do the connection. I really don't want another surgery!!

5 minutes ago, Briswife15 said:

Hi, Froufrou, my weight loss has been pretty slow compared to others. Im 6 weeks out and have lost 22 pounds. I think my body is clinging on to every pound. I consume about 450 calories a day in the form of Protein Shakes. Your surgeon can do an upper GI series to determine if you have a stricture. I hope you don't!!

I know I might be mad, but I'm really trying to avoid going back to my dr about this. I am just trying to ride it and see if I can get past it. One major thing is, I just can't financially afford to keep paying for surgeries and procedures. We are out of pocket till we hit $5k deductible and then we pay 30% of everything. With my leak I had with the sleeve, I ended up paying a ton more than I should have. Then the RNY cost a ton and now possibly a stricture... I just can't.

3 minutes ago, Briswife15 said:

Thanks, gabybab! I'm trying to keep my chin up!! I just read that 1/3 of patients with marginal ulcers and stricture need to have a revision to the RNY to re-do the connection. I really don't want another surgery!!

I had an ulcer for several weeks immediately post-op. With a lot of medicine and diligence it cleared up. Took about 12 weeks or so. I am glad they can try repeat endoscopies! I was like O___O for a moment!

And please believe it WILL get Better,cstill hanging on to the Hope Rope, and yes I have lost. Down 104 pounds since my RNY, seeing Onederland ahead. Not the footpath I would have chose, but it is what it is, I am not a wimp but a survivor, every scar I have is a challenge I have surpassed, I was stronger than each one and I will be an ultimate winner!🏆