Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Next step in finding the real me

Well, its time to start this new aspect to my WLS journey. I had Lap-Band in May 2006. I lost approx 150 pounds in 9 1/2 months and have been maintaining my weight since February of this year. Its been a good ride so for. I thought when I began this WLS journey, that I wouldn't want PS. My goal was to be healthy and not care what I looked like. I have a good life, a supportive wife and family and wanted to loose the weight to spend more time with them. Well here I am a year and a half later and just got put on the books for abdominaplasty on February 11th 2008. It seems so far away, but my job and my wife's job keeps us busy during the end of the year and as a corporate accountant, my wife is busy finishing up the books in January. She wants to take a week off when I have the surgery to help me out, so I don't mind waiting for that. This will probably be the only thing I have worked on. My arms are fine and no real man boobs to speak of. My thighs are bad, but don't effect the way my clothes fit. But, the stomach has to go. Clothes don't look good even when they fit and I am tired of lifting my flap to wash under it. Sounds gross, but I am sure many of you can relate :) I am nervous and excited at the same time.

I have been to 2 consults and have decided on a Dr. She is very good and comes recommended by my Band Dr. That gives me comfort since he was great and I value his opinion. I have financing lined up but am still hopefull that insurance will help out. The first Dr I went to said it would be a waste of time to submit to insurance because I don't get rashes or anything. But the Dr I am going to use said there was significant separation between the stomach muscle ( It hink she said 5 cm, she put 3 fingers between the two muscles). Significant enough that insurance might pay. Not holding my breath, but like the fact that she will try to fight to get insurance on board. And with financing secured, if insurance denies, it won't be a big blow for me.

I don't post here as often as I used to when I first started out, but wanted to update those who remember me :)

Please keep us posted.

Best wishes.

Sue

Neal, Thankyou so much for posting your journey here. We need more men posting. Infact there was a couple guys that post on a local yahoo group of bandsters in my area that were recently asking about other men who had or were considering PS. I will have to forward them a link to your thread.

Thanks again and I can so relate to the clothes just not looking right and having to lift that dreaded flap.

Hey,

TheGhost just directed me to this thread. I was just inquiring about other men on this forum that are considering PS. I am looking forward to following your progress and cheer on your successes! I just got banded a few days ago and can not wait to make it back down to my goal weight. I havn't been there since my freshman year in High School! My Dr. and I agree that it seems like a healthy goal of 210 Lbs. I am hoping I will not have a pannus to deal with, but if I do, I want to have already had my research done for this type of surgery.

Good luck on your surgery!

Craig

You're going to do GREAT with the TT. It's life changing, I swear. WOOHOO! Waiting to have your wife's schedule work out is definitely worth it too. The recovery isn't awful, awful, but having someone really there to support you will make a real difference. I also think you've got a real chance with your insurance company. That's a substantial muscle separation and they respond well (or as well as they ever do) to that. GOOD LUCK on all fronts.

Hey,

TheGhost just directed me to this thread. I was just inquiring about other men on this forum that are considering PS. I am looking forward to following your progress and cheer on your successes! I just got banded a few days ago and can not wait to make it back down to my goal weight. I havn't been there since my freshman year in High School! My Dr. and I agree that it seems like a healthy goal of 210 Lbs. I am hoping I will not have a pannus to deal with, but if I do, I want to have already had my research done for this type of surgery.

Good luck on your surgery!

Craig

Thanks Craig. I will try to post more as the time nears. Congrats on getting your band and starting your weight loss journey

Neal, Thankyou so much for posting your journey here. We need more men posting. Infact there was a couple guys that post on a local yahoo group of bandsters in my area that were recently asking about other men who had or were considering PS. I will have to forward them a link to your thread.

Thanks again and I can so relate to the clothes just not looking right and having to lift that dreaded flap.

Thanks Ghost. Thanks for leading the way :(

You're going to do GREAT with the TT. It's life changing, I swear. WOOHOO! Waiting to have your wife's schedule work out is definitely worth it too. The recovery isn't awful, awful, but having someone really there to support you will make a real difference. I also think you've got a real chance with your insurance company. That's a substantial muscle separation and they respond well (or as well as they ever do) to that. GOOD LUCK on all fronts.

THanks Julie! I appreciate the kind words :)

Neal you were the first to reply to one of my posts in 2006... I thank you for continuing to contribute to this site!

Congrats on your upcoming surgery!

Neal you were the first to reply to one of my posts in 2006... I thank you for continuing to contribute to this site!

Congrats on your upcoming surgery!

Thanks Tracy. even though I don't post as much as I used to, I still lurk from time to time. I have seen your progression pics and your doing so well. Congrats! :)

Wow! I'm excited to follow you journey. There are a lot of us getting ready for PS. I hope you will post pictures. This will be great!