Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting fills without fluoroscopy...

I got my second fill yesterday. The first time, I felt nothing as he was filling the band, but it was weird having him blindly poking to find the port. I thought maybe that was to be expected for the first fill.

This time, he poked at least 20 times until he found it, and even though he gave me an injection of lidocaine, IT HURT!! I felt like he was poking the needle through my stomach or intestines or something!! He finally got it, but I was traumatized.

I thought they were supposed to be looking at what they were doing using a fluoroscope or ultrasound or something, not just blindly poking and prodding until the hit the port!! It seems pretty reckless and dangerous if you ask me. Has anyone else experienced this, or what are your thoughts on this subject? I think I want to request that the fill be done in the radiology department of the hospital so that they can see what they are doing.....

I got my second fill yesterday. The first time, I felt nothing as he was filling the band, but it was weird having him blindly poking to find the port. I thought maybe that was to be expected for the first fill.

This time, he poked at least 20 times until he found it, and even though he gave me an injection of lidocaine, IT HURT!! I felt like he was poking the needle through my stomach or intestines or something!! He finally got it, but I was traumatized.

I thought they were supposed to be looking at what they were doing using a fluoroscope or ultrasound or something, not just blindly poking and prodding until the hit the port!! It seems pretty reckless and dangerous if you ask me. Has anyone else experienced this, or what are your thoughts on this subject? I think I want to request that the fill be done in the radiology department of the hospital so that they can see what they are doing.....

My experience was completely opposite of yours. My first fill hurt soooo bad. She had to find it and had to stick it several times until she found it. I just got my 2nd fill today and didn't feel a thing. She uses lidocaine as well and gave me a little extra because of how bad it hurt last time.

I opt to NOT get lidocaine, and whem my surgeon does the fills it has never taken more than one try. Once I needed an emergency unfill and a surgeon who had never done a fill had to do my unfill. That hurt a bit, and left me sore - like I had been kicked. My place has started having a PA do fills and it took him a few tries. But with my experienced surgeon, he has always gotten it on the first try. If he has problems finding the port, he resolved them before the needle goes in.

Never had a fill under fluoro.

I'm glad to read your stories and know that I am not alone.

My surgeon could find my port blindfolded. I didn't realize what a "touch" he had until I went to a local Fill Center (to save money) rather than going back out to Colorado.

She used a fluoroscope and still poked me several times twisting the needle around until I could feel she hit the port..that (tap tap) feeling inside the stomach. When I left there, I was sore and I had a bruise, not big but still, on my stomach. My fill was not quite right. But since I was stilll new in the band process I wasn't sure what to expect. After three weeks I felt hungry!! I only lost 13 more pounds and actually had some trouble with my stomach over the next four months.

Last week I flew to Denver. Dr. K hit my port with ease. I had no pain and I've got great restriction.

My lesson learned is there is a difference in the advertising of "fill care" and "after care".

Best wishes to you all.

I had my first fill on Tuesday. My surgeon just felt my stomach with his fingers and in went the needle. No pain, but I don't have any restriction either. I'm 2 days from that fill and still no restriction. I have an appointment to get a second fill in 3 weeks, I hope that one gives some restriction. I'm hungry.

Sorry you had a bad fill exprience. My fill doctor doesn't use floru and always gets it on the first try. Even when my port was flipped, he would manuever it and get it.

I've had 2 fills so far and my Dr. also feels for my port. He freezes the spot, which stings a little, but he's had no trouble hitting the port. I'm very confident in him and he is very gentle.

So far I have really good restriction with this fill!!!:clap2:

I have only had an unfil. The nurse hit the spot immediately without freezing. No big deal and I was only 1 week post op.

My doctor put the port up high on my abdomen so it sticks out like a button. I have the APS 10cc band and I have so far had 2 fills...1st fill he put in 3 cc's..2nd fill today 1cc. The first one...absolutely no restriction..this one helps more. I still think I need a couple fills more. I am happy to say that I haven't had any troubles with fills, it just takes him a few seconds. I think all doctors should put the port high up.....:cry

I have a 10cc band and had 7cc's after my first post op visit. Great restriction. Then I got 1/2 cc from the fill center locally. Not so great restriction after the soreness and nausea wore off. I stayed like that for four months until I went to Colorado last week.

When Dr. K unfilled my port to see how much was there, it was 7cc's. It was also discolored and had kind of material floating around in it. All of that was flushed out and fresh was put in.

I now have 8cc's plus a pinch (not sure exactly how much over the 8 mark). I have awesome restriction.

You know how they call it the "sweet spot". I'm at the sweet spot. I can still eat solids, not too much, no nausea, tight feeling as in TIGHT feeling but not overboard. Between meals I do not crave food and I am full with a small meal. I'm not searching the cabinets for what else to eat.

I now understand what people have been talking about.

I am annoyed! I went to my doctor yesterday for my first fill. He instructed his assistant to administer 2cc in a 10 cc band.

1cc goes into the "rim" that will inflate the band and the other cc will restrict. 1cc? 1cc? As you can imagine it doesn't feel any different, and I find that my stomach is grumbling VERY VERY loudly again. The grumbling stopped in my third week post-op. I have another appt. Dec. 13, but who wants to have to see the doctor every 4 weeks for a fill until I feel restriction!

I didn't expect 6cc's right away, but 1cc? I can still eat like I ate two days ago (which by the way, was almost like I didn't have the band). I have only lost 13 pounds and have been banded since 10/1/07. I know this is a process.....but a jump start would help.

OK - thanks for letting me rant.