Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Quesiton re post op

I had my 2nd appt. with the nutritionist and asked her about liquid Proteins etc. She said starting week 2 it Protein form normal sources, even chicken as long as you chew it up well. From what I have read most people seem to be on soft foods for 4-6 weeks. Is that the norm? My other question -- after surgery (months later/long term) can you take an advil? I thought I read something about after Bypass surgery that you couldn't take it. What do I do in 20 years if I have arthritis?

I was eating puree and soft foods 10 days post op per my team, Each team is different. My booklet from my team said 2 weeks liquids, 1 week puree 1 week soft and after that anything that I could tolerate and they stressed chew, chew, chew.

They only mentioned to stay away from beef and pork chops for 6 months because it's hard to digest, but I've read on here lots of people eat those before 6 months...I did try beef and it did not sit well with me so I will wait like suggested.

Motrin and Advil are too harsh on your stomach. My Dr said Tylenol is ok\better.

Every team is different but most follow 2 weeks liquid, 2 weeks mushy, 2 weeks soft and then solids.

Follow the advice of your team and if things aren’t working right go back to the previous stage

2 hours ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

I had my 2nd appt. with the nutritionist and asked her about liquid Proteins etc. She said starting week 2 it Protein form normal sources, even chicken as long as you chew it up well. From what I have read most people seem to be on soft foods for 4-6 weeks. Is that the norm? My other question -- after surgery (months later/long term) can you take an advil? I thought I read something about after Bypass surgery that you couldn't take it. What do I do in 20 years if I have arthritis?

I had the sleeve done a month ago. As per my dr, I began eating soft Protein, eggs, chicken, tuna salad, fish, in my third week. Most days I still have a Protein Shake for one meal but I’m able to get in a few ounces of protein, as long as I chew really well, and this week I started eating soft vegetables. Every team is different with their requirements. Good luck to you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches