Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

House fire last night....

Hey everyone....i'm kinda new....banded on oct 31st, happy to have made it into the tenacious tens....was feeling great, but our house caught on fire Wednesday night woken at 1:00 am by smoke alarm...thankfully we all made it out okay....my SO had to be hospitalized overnight, so i have been handling all insurance adjusters, cleaning people, and contractors.....master bed and bath have to gutted to the studs, and everything in the room is unsalvageable....stress under normal circumstances, but i am feeling terrible.....i haven't slept in 2 nights...1st night 4 broken windows so house not secure and i was too afraid to sleep, and last night i was at the hospital with SO until late and then home straightening up for the cleaning service.... i can't seem to drink anything....feel so thirsty, but can't seem to get anything down....my kids have been at their dad's house, and with my SO in the hospital, i feel so tired and alone........sorry had to vent a little, but was hoping maybe to find someone here this morning to talk to......

eileen

CTgirl - How HORRIBLE!!!! I can't imagine waking up to a fire in my house! But like you said - thank goodness everyone got out ok.

Having to handle everything by yourself has to be so overwhelming, but it sounds like you are a strong person, and you HAVE handled it! So now you need to take some time, even if it's only a few minutes, grab a Protein drink or a bottle of Water, sit down and try to slow your mind, and start taking very small sips. Reflect on how fortunate you are that your loved ones are alive, and that YOU are alive.

The last thing you want to do right now is get dehydrated. So if you need to make some phone calls - take a sip before you dial, then take a sip after you hang up. If you have to drive somewhere - take a sip before you start your car, take a sip at every red light, and take a sip after you turn you car off. This may sound a bit elementary, but it helps when a person is under stress to set small "doable" goals.

Your kids are with their dad, your SO is in the best place possible to be taken care of, you took care of the cleaners, insurance, contractors....now it's time to take care of YOU!

Please let us know how things are going.

Forestcat....thanksfor your support...you gave me some good ideas...my SO is home from the hospital, but just left to stay with his brother's family because he still is creeped out to be in this house alone....trying to drink more, getting little better but still not where it should be....

eileen

I am so sorry to hear about your house fire. That is wonderful that you all are okay though. Being newly banded is stressful and a big change, and it is even more difficult with something as scary/stressful as a fire. Like the girls mentioned above, you really don't want to get dehydrated. Try to drink as much as you can. You don't want to be getting physically sick with all that you have going on. Take care and keep us posted.

;)

Wow, thank God you are all alright! You are still newly banded, so you really need to take the time for yourself too. I couldn't imagine my house catching on fire. My prayers are with you and your family!

Thanks everyone for your support ..... i was feeling so lonely....so of course i feel like eating all my usual comfort stuff....big mistake....got stuck, came back up....but the stress seems to hve settled in my stomach because i can't seem to keep much in there...it comes out one way or another....the master bedroom is set to be emptied and gutted this week ( nothing in the room is salvageable)... looking forward to life getting back to normal .....glad you guys are here to talk to ...

Eileen

Eileen, I hope that you will be able to eat normally again. I often hear that when people are stressed, they can't eat. Have you tried mushies or liquids?

CTgirl, I am so sorry that happened to you. You mentioned your room was a complete loss. Has the red cross or anyone stepped in to help you out with clothing and things that you need right now. So many of us are going in and out of sizes, maybe we could help.

Thanks again everyone..... luckily my clothes made it through okay...my dresser and things were in an adjoining closet...the insurance paid for them to be professionally cleaned and the salvaged almost everything....

poohlvr....you hit the nail right on the head...the stress has wreaked havoc on my stomach....drinking is the worst...especially i've always been a gulper....and this sipping just isn't working right now...then i try to drink to fast and i get that terrible pain....i really feel dehydrated today, woke up with my mouth so dry, but i also feel nauseaous...once i do get something down, it goes right through me..... hopefully this too soon shall pass ......eileen

I too feel bad for you...........be thankful no one was hurt. It is very difficult going through the experience of having a house fire.....my house caught on fire when i was a child. It was the first time my parents had left me and my bro. at home alone........and the hot Water heater caught on fire. I am thankful they came home just in time and everyone was safe. We must remember that God is good and He is our strength through times of trouble. You will get through this stressful time and you will be a stronger person because of it. Take care and know that you are in my prayers.