Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bypass- blood in stool

5 minutes ago, beba3377 said:

Hi,
I just had my first liquid today.. I know it might seem inappropriate, but I ran to the bathroom thinking I had the runs.. when I went it was combo mixture of Iron and blood. Has this happen to anyone else?

Curious when you say "first liquid"? What are they having you do for a diet post op? Pretty much everyone I've seen (myself included) were on puree's before even leaving the hospital.

To answer the question, your first evacuation can have blood/tar/iron in it... my first was a mess of black tarry/sandy old blood and boy was it nasty. If you are seeing fresh blood, check for a hemorrhoid/fissure, if you are not able to determine where the blood is originating and it's still occurring... get in touch with your surgeon asap.

10 minutes ago, beba3377 said:

I’m not on purred. I am currently in the hospital and they have me on clear liquid..

Very interesting... most folks with bypass were no liquids day of surgery, full liquids day 2 and purees day 3.
So, if you are actually *IN* the hospital, what are they saying about the bloody stool?

1 hour ago, Matt Z said:

Very interesting... most folks with bypass were no liquids day of surgery, full liquids day 2 and purees day 3.
So, if you are actually *IN* the hospital, what are they saying about the bloody stool?

My experience was that they did a "carb overload" the morning of surgery, which for me, was like 3 AM, because statistics show you heal quicker if you have an excess of carbs in your system during surgery. So I had to drink two, 28 oz min, Gatorade, or 100% juice the night before and morning of surgery.

I was on Clear Liquids only in the hospital, which was 5 days due to complications, and then 1 week of full liquids after I got home before purred phase.

If you are in the hospital, why not ask the experts who are there, rather than us online amateurs? Early diets and progressions vary all over the map, but your medical team will know what is within normal expectations for their practice.

My surgery will be next Wednesday, if I don't have blood in my stool,i would be amazed. Remember all the renovation, realignment, reconviguring, and readjust going,in, my,surgeon is A#1 but no one,yet,has 8nvented a bloodless surgery unless you,freeze someone first. Now,if I was passing blood 3 months from now, somebody better be explaining , and explaining hard. But $,little goes with the territory.💩

On 8/30/2018 at 1:32 PM, beba3377 said:

We’ll Rick.. this is a post to ask question.. so if you have an issue with my post you can not comment on it

Yes, it is. But are you expecting a better answer from us than from those with the expertise to know you and your condition best? Were you not in the hospital, the most appropriate answer for a question such as this, one which is giver quite frequently for situations such as this, is to either call your doctor and check, or to go to the ER and get it checked out.

Blood coming out of any place after surgery is a concern, It may be a "we gotta get on top of this - now!" type of thing, or it may be a "let's keep an eye on this and see if it clears up on its own" situation, but that is something that needs professional medical judgement.

On 8/30/2018 at 1:32 PM, beba3377 said:

We’ll Rick.. this is a post to ask question.. so if you have an issue with my post you can not comment on it

Not cool. This is a public forum so everyone is allowed to comment, assuming they’re in compliance with BariatricPal’s Terms & Conditions. What Rick wrote was very respectful and valid.