Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking too fast?

I'm 4 weeks out tomorrow, but I've been more or less putting the brakes on when drinking. Today I was distracted and drank 17oz in less than an hour. No problems whatsoever - no feeling like I'm going to throw up, no weird abdominal issues, no strange sounds, gas or anything. Only difference is the liquid disappeared faster than normal and my urine was nearly clear.

I talked with my surgeons office about this a while back, namely that I was able to drink much faster than 1oz over 15 minutes. They weren't concerned with my ability to drink twice to 4 times as fast.

I've always been able to drink fast. Even with my lap band, I could consume 20oz in less than a minute, so consuming 17oz in less than an hour is still very, very slow for me. I'm worried I'm somehow doing damage or stretching the pouch, but like I said, I don't feel anything abnormal.

Is this normal/okay only 4 weeks out?

I'm following this post as well. I am starting to drink faster too, and am not sure if I should be worried.

So sorry nothing to add, just stalking this thread!

17 hours ago, CyclicalLoser said:

I'm 4 weeks out tomorrow, but I've been more or less putting the brakes on when drinking. Today I was distracted and drank 17oz in less than an hour. No problems whatsoever - no feeling like I'm going to throw up, no weird abdominal issues, no strange sounds, gas or anything. Only difference is the liquid disappeared faster than normal and my urine was nearly clear.

I talked with my surgeons office about this a while back, namely that I was able to drink much faster than 1oz over 15 minutes. They weren't concerned with my ability to drink twice to 4 times as fast.

I've always been able to drink fast. Even with my lap band, I could consume 20oz in less than a minute, so consuming 17oz in less than an hour is still very, very slow for me. I'm worried I'm somehow doing damage or stretching the pouch, but like I said, I don't feel anything abnormal.

Is this normal/okay only 4 weeks out?

There is no such thing as "normal" because we are all different to begin with, then each of our surgeries are unique. Drinking that fast, if there are no issues, is fine. Liquid will pour right through unless you put in more than can drain. If you are draining that fast, then congrats! You'll have zero issues with your liquids!

Thank you Matt, I really appreciate the feedback. At 4 weeks out, I still feel very much like a freshman wandering the halls just trying to find class :)

Excellent observation, even at my early stage, I feel a Stranger in a Strange Land.😳