Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about monthly vitamins and protein supplements after surgery

Monthly Expenses  

3 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. how much do you spend on required vitamins and protein supplements each month

• 20 - 49
    • 40 - 60
    • 60 - 80
    • 80 - 100
    • well over 100

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/06/2018 at 01:21 AM

So my benefit stuff have to go in by the end of October. I participate in a FSA. I found out that I can use my FSA for Vitamins and Protein supplements as long as the surgeon write a script saying they are required after surgery. problem is I won't have any idea of how much these things run until I actually start using them and I have to submit my estimate in October.

So on average, how much do you feel you spend monthly on calcium citrate, Multivitamins, B-12, etc. plus your Protein Shakes each month? My surgery is at the end of Dec. so I will but using a lot of protein shakes in the early part of the year I'm sure as I will be in the liquid phase still in January when this FSA kicks in.

thanks in advance!

Edited by Beta98

I'm 5 months out and still use Protein Water or shakes nearly every day. I can't hit my protein target with food yet.

I see you only have 44 pounds to go, congrats! I can't even wrap my brain around being that close to my goal wow!

2 minutes ago, Beta98 said:

Thank you. I have trouble imagining it myself! That will be like a 29-year trip back in a time machine!

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

My short answer is not enough to have made it worth figuring out, lol.

Multivits - costco brand Centrum analog: $10-15 per 400, 1 per day then, 3-4 per week now

Calcium Cit - Target analog to Citracal - $10 per 180 or 90 doses, so $10 per daily dose for 90 days, call it $20 for typical early VSG twice a day dosing for 90 days. First couple months you prob can't swallow those horse pills, so look up Bariatric Advantage chewables, or similar brand, Alternative is some brands (Celebrate, IIRC) make a petite half dose pill that works well for many - figure twice the price of the Target pills, or$40 for 2 doses per day for 90 days.

B12 - never took it (more of an RNY thing, tho some are naturally short on it.)

Iron - maybe - Solgar Iron Bisglycinate 25mg, prob $25 per 180 capsules or 6 months worth

Protein - Optimum Nutrition 100% whey isolate - $40-50 per 55 serving tub (on sale now for $30) - figure 2 servings per day for the first month, 1 per day after that, YMMV

ballpark est $140-ish total for the first 3 months.

$50 for 270 pills of calcium.- 3 months supply BariatricAdvantage brand- Bariatric store

$20 for 90 pills of multivitamin- 2months supply flintsone brand- Walmart

$80 nectar why Protein -2 months supply - Bariatric store

Im already on Iron pills. I plan to just continue with those and it’s about $6 for a 3 month supply got it at Walmart spring valley brand

yikes, it adds up to a lot when I calculate it :) I"m only 3 months post op, so I'm still having some Protein Water and a collagen protein supplement in coffee daily. Taking Multivitamin, Calcium&Vit D, and Iron&Folate tablets.

My multi and calcium&VitD Vitamins are a special Australian bariatric formulation, and cost me Aus$47, the regular Iron&Folate another $5. (note, everything in Australia costs more than US).

My daily protein water and collagen supplement costs just under $100 a month. I'll be dropping the $60 for protein water beyond about 6 months post op, but may keep up the collagen for longer, especially if it may help my skin elasticity in the first year post surgery (though I'm expecting to need some skin removal surgery)

I do tend to think of my protein supplements costs as some of my "food" costs though, with the remainder being mostly rolled oats porridge (like $2 a month lol), fresh veggies (half of them grown in my organic garden), some lean meats (mostly chicken drumsticks/marylands to slow cook sous-vide and beef mince), some crackers, cheese and milk, Decaf coffee Beans and some Quest Protein Bars, so the overall "food" costs for me are pretty cheap per month and will be very cheap once my food volume allows me to get all my protein with meat and dairy.

Once I get beyond 6 months post op I may move to cheaper vitamins provided I"m sure they will be effective for my post op tummy and diet. When I see my doctor this week I"m going to ask him to order a blood test to check my current Vitamin levels (since my surgeon didn't ask for it and I'm not seeing him now for another 4 months). I particularly want to know how my Calcium, B12, and Iron levels are.

Edited by Taoz

I would love to have my own organic garden one day. I have enough yard for one but haven't been able to figure out the time to do. The previous owners of my home had a garden and I still have their raised bed though it needs a good work over.