Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone else suffered shoulder pain since their surgery.

I'm 2 years post surgery and suffering from severe left shoulder pain

Yes!! Frankly have had it for yrs. From the time I was discharged after my surgery. I complained at my first post surgery appointment, my surgeon explained it came from the hernia repair he did during my lap band procedue, however I was told by a xray tech that it looks like my surgeon may have accidentally torn my rotator cuff during surgery. Unfortunately I can't be sure without surgery. It's very uncomfortable when I eat tho. Therefore I believe it's from the hernia repair because it would probably hurt the same all the time of its the rotater. My surgeon explained it gets worse when I eat more because it causes tension from the stitching from the large hernia repair and he confessed sometimes it may be that he pulled the tissue a little tight and the only way to fix it will be to go back in and undo the repair and stitch it less tight. I understand your pain! It gets miserable! Keeps me up at night, I literally take pain meds for it with muscle relaxers. I feel your pain! I have talked with several pts who also had hernia repair and have the exact same issue also in the left shoulder.

So sorry to hear that. I have basically experienced the same thing and my Doctor went in to ensure everything was okay and it was.

Apparently shoulder pain comes from the diaphragm so he went in to make sure nothing was loose or putting pressure on the diaphragm.

Never even mentioned the hernia and he did fix mine.

Interesting! I'll get to the bottom of it and keep you posted.

Laurie

So sorry to hear that. I have basically experienced the same thing and my Doctor went in to ensure everything was okay and it was.
Apparently shoulder pain comes from the diaphragm so he went in to make sure nothing was loose or putting pressure on the diaphragm.
Never even mentioned the hernia and he did fix mine.
Interesting! I'll get to the bottom of it and keep you posted.
Laurie
I did when I had to have my esophagus stretched. My whole head throat and face

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had severe shoulder pain after surgery from the moment I woke up.

I had my band replaced due to it slipping and the pain has gone. The only time it comes back is when I have eaten and instead of feeling I have a full belly, I have pain in my shoulder.

It is common and is a referred paid from having your diaphragm expanded.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Featured Surgeons

1. Masoud Rezvani

Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

2. Lisa Medvetz

Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

• Recent Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• boringtessa

Stalls are the WORST.  I know they happen, but I am still disappointed.  I've been the same weight for over 2 weeks.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • GreenTealael

Im absolutely terrified to buy underwear these days 😢, I realized I don't know my real size in anything anymore.
      · 1 reply
      1. sillykitty

I know the feeling. I did some major online shopping with all the sales around black friday. In tops I wear anywhere between a S-L. In pants from 6-10. But I must own the world's most elastic panties, because -100+ lbs, I still wear the same undies! :lol:

• Puppycat

I went against my weekly weigh in and cheated today the scale says I'm 248 😂How? Maybe it's wrong lol I just purchased the scale and it's my first time using it. I'll weigh my daughter to see if it's accurate. I was 255 this time last week so I guess it's a real possibility. I'll let you know , I have been very picky about sugars and carbs even though I don't have a huge variety of foods to choose from. I'm super excited and hope everyone is doing great! Got to charge my iPad but I just had to share my happiness 
      · 2 replies
      1. proudgrammy

great weight loss ☺️- weigh yourself on one scale all the time - be consistent - congrats kathy

2. FlyAwayFree

I am having the same kinds of things happen lol. I just posted about my 52 pound weight loss... and I am only 6 weeks out from surgery! Yay! I am so happy to lose so quickly. Its a relief!

• proudgrammy

flying down to GA. It's all about the grand-kids!! Always will be!!
      · 3 replies
      1. Wanda247

Have a wonderful time with your grandbabies!! 😉

2. Liz The New Me

Merry Christmas!!

3. FluffyChix

Have fun girlfriend!!! Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Happy everything, Happy Holidays! Enjoy!

• Schnauzer3

So sorry about yesterday's venting, bad day, frustrated my husband was sweet, put up our Christmas  Tree.  God news this morning, I received my insurance approval.  '
      After having my surgery date moved twice, I will be first case Monday morning, December 17th!  Hooray!  Thank you for listening!
      · 1 reply
      1. proudgrammy

surgery date finally set - good luck kathy

• Trending Topics

• Magazine Articles

1. Dealing with Family during the Holidays

Posted in: Mental Health
      Ash Krupnik
    2. You Are NOT What You Eat

Posted in: Mental Health
      Warren L. Huberman, PhD.
    3. Surviving the Thanksgiving Table: A Few Hacks

Posted in: Food & Nutrition
      Alex Brecher
    4. Thanksgiving Tips You Can Use

Posted in: Post-Op Support
      Alex Brecher
    5. Got Your Guard Up for Holiday Season?

Posted in: Support
      Alex Brecher
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs