Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reminder...Get Enough Fluids!!!

I just wanted to share my experience with all of you. I am 6 days post-op and last night I spiked a temperature, had the sweats, cold chills, nausea (I was even heaving) and diarrhea. I freaked out thinking that there was an infection or that my body was rejecting the band. I called the surgeon and it turns out that these are all signs of dehydration. So they told me to take tylenol for the fever and drink gatorade (apparently this is the best thing to re-hydrate you). But I thought I'd post this on here to remind everyone to make sure you are paying attention to how much fluids you're taking in.

Yikes, Brandi, how scary! Can you tell us how much you *were* drinking? I've been trying to drain two 32-oz bottles of Water each day, aside from whatever liquids I may be consuming for nutrition, but it's very hard when I can't chug it. So I'd been kind of reassuring myself that the coffee, Soup, and juice I'm taking in makes up for the fact that I've only drunk about half of the Water I'm supposed to. You can bet I'll try harder today. :D

I'm so glad it was easily fixed! Take care of yourself, girlie--I'm sure proper hydration also is very important for quick healing.

I was probably only drinking about 24-32 ounces of Fluid a day. I just felt so full and I felt like if I drank anymore I would pop. I was just sipping until I felt full and assuming that it would be enough fluid. I am definately paying better attention now. I guess it just took a "wake up call".

i never drank much water...hated the stuff, but i love it now, nothing better than a large glass filled with ice cubes, lots of Water a slice of lemon and a straw...MMMMmmmm lovley!!,

ive even bought a mini water despenser designed to fit in the recommended 8 glasses of water a day, just to make sure im getting enough!

lack of water can cause all sorts of problems, but my biggest one was i always felt tired and drained, its suprising how something like water can make you feel so much better!

DRINK DRINK DRINK!!!

Hi Nikki, can I ask, where did you get the Water dispenser? Sounds perfect - I find it so hard to drink the recommended 2 litres a day and I'm not even banded yet!!! :sick

hey bright!

i have schedule for drinking my Water because i dont particulary love it.

i always drink from a 20 oz bottle (we have a bottled Water dispenser at work so i just refill it. at home i have filtration system too)

this is my water drinking routine:

on the way to work 20 oz.

i eat as soon as i get to work and wait till 9:30 to start again.

before noon i must have drank another 20 oz. bottle.

after lunch but before i leave work i drink another 20 oz bottle

that is 60 oz for the day.

on my way home i drink another 20 oz bottle

that gives me 80 oz a day and then when i'm at home or on the go i drink sugar free flavored drinks.

Shelly, I've been meaning to post a thread asking how people handle their Water. Great timing!

What I wonder is what sort of container people use. My tactic has been to buy a six-pack of 32-oz bottled Water every so often, and re-use each bottle for several days. This lets me feel like the bottles are relatively clean--I've read horror stories about reusing water bottles and the bacteria they can harbor.

On most days it's no problem to down two of those bottles. But some days it'll get to be dinnertime and I suddenly realize I've totally slacked off on the water. So I start chugging through the evening, only to be up for hours later on in the bathroom!

Oh well, someday I'll find the rhythm...

hi bright, i actualy got the dispenser from a homeware catalogue called bettaware, do you got avon where you are?, well its a bit like that, it was really cheap to buy, and im sure if you look on the internet you can find one too.

they are really handy, i fill the dispenser up with bottled Water and put a few ice cubes in it , then i chill it in the fridge, afterwards i put the bottel thing back on the stand and dispense my lovley fresh Water throughout the day....ideal!

this is what we need at the office though.....lol

post-203845-13813131221922_thumb.jpg

Alexandra...

my boss has used the same Water bottle for months!!!! yuck!

i usually lose mine or forget it so i have to buy a new one. i also have a cup i bought espescially for drinking Water it holds 25 oz and is insulated! plus i can just throw it in the dishwasher!!!

pre band i would do 32 oz bottles but post op they seem so big and hopeless! its pobably all in my mind!!!

i have always been an all or nothing person in the past with water so i'll stay on the routine until i dont have to think about it anymore. it's easy for me to get sidetracked with sweet tea with lemon and splenda!

i get my first fill on monday!!!! woohoo!!! i cant wait for the some restriction!!!!