Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op weight loss

I am just over 2 weeks post op. My weight loss was going great, about 1.5-2lbs per day. I am down about 20lbs since surgery. All of a sudden, I haven’t lost any weight in the last 3 days. I have been tracking my food intake and I am averaging about 450-500 calories a day, mostly Protein. I am still on stage 2 foods. Apple sauce, cottage cheese, butternut squash Soup and Protein Shakes.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions, or is this normal to stall for a short period. I am just afraid that I will have gone through surgery for nothing.

Thank you

11 minutes ago, bdroubay said:

I am just over 2 weeks post op. My weight loss was going great, about 1.5-2lbs per day. I am down about 20lbs since surgery. All of a sudden, I haven’t lost any weight in the last 3 days. I have been tracking my food intake and I am averaging about 450-500 calories a day, mostly Protein. I am still on stage 2 foods. Apple sauce, cottage cheese, butternut squash Soup and Protein Shakes.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions, or is this normal to stall for a short period. I am just afraid that I will have gone through surgery for nothing.

Thank you

Welcome to a Stall. Don't worry about, just keep doing what you are doing (maybe even upping the calorie intake a bit)... you neglected to post your Water intake or exercise regimen. You need to be getting 64-128oz of water a day or as close to those numbers as possible, trying to get a little more each day. Our bodies cannot process fat without water, so make sure you are getting a bunch! And you should be walking every hour or so at this point.

DO NOT focus on weight... it's only 1 number in the overall process, body fat % is another one that hardly anyone bothers to track. But it's an important metric to pay attention to. I've just gone through a week+ long stall without losing any weight, but I lost .7% body fat in that same time. So, do not stress or worry, just keep doing what you are supposed to be doing and everything will work out just fine!

1.5-2lbs a DAY is a lot of weight to lose. I am averaging 3 lbs a week at 6 weeks out. Maybe due to our stats (height, bmi, starting weight, goal weight) being different. Just keep in mind everyone loses differently. If you were to keep going at your rate you would meet your goal in 11 weeks which even though this surgery works miracles, 11 weeks is not realistic for you to meet 200 lbs in an even remotely healthy way. We're talking losing hair, deficiencies, muscle loss, etc. In the end we will all get there. Trust the process. Your body has just gone through a shock. It lost weight like crazy (mine happened in the 14 day pre op sugar free clear liquid diet) and now it is catching up and plateauing. You might not lose weight that fast throughout the upcoming weeks because your body is going to try to lose as safe as it can. I'd be focused more on inches, Water, and Protein.

We all want to get there fast but sometimes neglect the health of it. Personally, 3 lbs a week for me gives my body time to adjust to itself and I'm happy with that. The closer to goal the slower you lose so just remember to enjoy your days, again you will eventually get there and we will support you along the way!!!! Good luck!!

Edited by mitchjoann132010

35 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

Welcome to a Stall. Don't worry about, just keep doing what you are doing (maybe even upping the calorie intake a bit)... you neglected to post your Water intake or exercise regimen. You need to be getting 64-128oz of Water a day or as close to those numbers as possible, trying to get a little more each day. Our bodies cannot process fat without water, so make sure you are getting a bunch! And you should be walking every hour or so at this point.

DO NOT focus on weight... it's only 1 number in the overall process, body fat % is another one that hardly anyone bothers to track. But it's an important metric to pay attention to. I've just gone through a week+ long stall without losing any weight, but I lost .7% body fat in that same time. So, do not stress or worry, just keep doing what you are supposed to be doing and everything will work out just fine!

Absolutely!!!!!! Not many pay attention to body fat % and to be honest this is something we should be very concerned about. Losing so fast can cause a lot of muscle loss. Personally, I rather weigh more with more muscle than less and high body fat %. You will look slimmer with more muscle, be healthier, and have a higher metabolic rate. It is great that you mentioned this!!

Just now, mitchjoann132010 said:

Absolutely!!!!!! Not many pay attention to body fat % and to be honest this is something we should be very concerned about. Losing so fast can cause a lot of muscle loss. Personally, I rather weigh more with more muscle than less and high body fat %. You will look slimmer with more muscle, be healthier, and have a higher metabolic rate. It is great that you mentioned this!!

This is exactly what my frustrations have been over. I weigh in every morning, same time, after doing the same things, in the same way, just to make sure it's as accurate as possible. I've been stuck at the same weight for over a week now and I'm not taking the normal stalls as I'm at over 2 months post op now. But having that body fat % there for me to track as well has really relived a lot of stress and frustration. I'm in the gym every day, for at least an hour a day. I'm working hard on muscle building. So if I only saw the weight staying the same and not the body fat drop... I'd have lost my mind at this point!

The numbers on the scale do not account for the muscle that you are building. It is so repetitive to hear muscle weighs more than fat but it really does! It is so easy to find a body fat % device and use it every other day. I do 4 days cardio and 2 days strength following the plan that my coworkers who are Physical Therapist set up for me. I have a pair of scrubs that were very tight on me starting out. I'll try them on once a week and see them hanging off of me and this puts it into perspective why the inches are going down, the body fat is going down, however the numbers might not be going down as fast. Like you said I'd be crazy at this point just seeing the numbers go down so slowly while everyone else at 6 weeks out have lost so much already.

Btw I was 210 day of surgery so have only lost 20 in 6 weeks. 3 lbs a week is nothing compared to what others are losing but it's perfect for me.

Edited by mitchjoann132010

Thank you both. Yes, I get caught up on the numbers on the scale and I knew it would slow down. This is all just new and I want to be a success story and not one of the ones you hear about and fear to become where they don’t loose weight or end up gaining it back. Thank you for sharing so I know something is now “wrong”

Absolutely, to be honest I had the same fears about 2 weeks out because I was so intimidated by how quickly everyone was losing around me. My surgeon helped lessen my fears by letting me know that my height and starting weight makes my journey different in rate of weight loss. I also expressed my concerns on here and everyone was so supportive and reminded me to enjoy the journey. If you have any fears do not be afraid to ask your doctor or any of us on here. Maybe you will be able to pass the torch of advice on to someone you see in the future with the same doubts you have.

A link to the body fat % tracker is below. This is what I use and it has been phenomenal helping my confidence. Also a measuring tape helps with seeing the inches go. I also recommend finding an outfit that was super tight on you to begin with and try it on every now and then to help you see you really are losing! Good luck and we are always here for you on BariPal!!

https://omronhealthcare.com/products/fat-loss-monitor-hbf306c/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5ar3g6DF2wIVxbrACh08HwtrEAQYASABEgKoAPD_BwE

You can buy these anywhere but this is the type I use.