Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sick leave

One of my supervisors was discussing my upcoming surgery with another supervisor and one mentioned that since I am having "ELECTIVE" surgery I might not get it approved. I also have a type 3 hiatal hernia which was found in my prep EGD scope. I haven't even got all my prep appointments in nor a scheduled date, possible 2 months away at the earliest. I was asked to send a message to enlighten this other supervisor on the nature of the surgery so they can understand. I call baloney. I did send a message but I gave no details other than I projected a "surgery" in a couple of months and would give specific dates when scheduled. I have over 800 hours of sick leave because I usually take care of appointments and procedures on my day off to avoid harassment of interrogating questions.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using BariatricPal mobile app

Worst comes to worst.....stop calling it a bariatric surgery and start calling it a hiatal hernia surgery. They don't need to know any other details.

almost All surgeries are elective if they are planned in advance: c-sections, joint replacements, heart surgeries etc. so your supervisors don’t have a leg to stand on. File FMLA and let HR handle it. You don’t have to tell your supervisors the extent of your surgery ever

I agree with Creekimp13. This is exactly what I am doing. I told my Team Leader I am having hiatal hernia surgery and that isn't a lie because I am, along with bypass. But that isn't his business and I didn't even have to tell him that. When I told HR they didn't even ask me what surgery I was having. I don't believe they are even aloud to. They just gave the papers for FMLA. There is a thin line for a law suit these days and most places of buisness know this.

In Australia if you have a medical certificate that states you’re not fit for work, then you can’t be at work. Doesn’t matter where it stems from, the issue is that a medical professional has made the assessment you are not fit to work. You can then access your leave. If I went onto my roof and jumped off and broke a bone, no one would say you “elected” to jump off the roof therefore you can’t access sick leave while your bone heals. I’m sorry that you’re supervisors are putting you through this. Do you have a union you can contact to get more info on the law around this?

I completely understand and sympathize. I was expecting push back at my work place

I was prepared when I talked with my boss about taking time off for my Bypass that I wont have children so consider this maternity leave. But they were and have been surprisingly supportive.

I agree with everyone else though you in theory don't have to tell them what you are having done. In my case I did, because I work in surgery in a hospital in the same healthcare system I am having surgery so I decided to take ownership of my bypass before it became department gossip...

Sent from my XT1635-01 using BariatricPal mobile app