Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Part of this message is me rejoining this community, part of it is seeing what's in my profile signature., I used to have a weigh loss results bar in there. I had my surgery in 2009, almost a year after my wife did. Having a built in support partner helps. I went from around 270 to 195 in well less than a year. A large part of it was this surgery and the nutritional information. Another part of of it was re-discovering my love of running. I still had running a marathon on my bucket list when I had the surgery and I ran it in 2011 in just over 4 hours. I ended up doing six more.

Life was good, my wife and I were even used in commercials as sucess stories by the Bariatric Department of The Ohio State University I will mention my wife though I looked too thin at 195, so I did go to 210 during my marathons. But after 2013 my back began to fail and I had spinal fusion surgery. That slowed me down for a year or or more, but my weight crept up about 10 pounds a year until last May 7th, I got back from a 7 day Caribbean cruise. While I only gained 1 pound on that cruise it was a new post surgery high of 244. I imediately scheduled an appointment with my clinic/hospital. Backn in 2009 I had 3ccs put into a 10cc band and never had it changed. On my visit back I had .25cc added and have lost 13 pounds in about 2 weeks. Here we go again.

Welcome back I know for me this site is like an accountability group for me. When I stay away I lose that accountability and my weight start to go up.

Even though their are fewer Lap band poster than before I do appreciate the fact that it is never to late to restart.

My wife and I both got a lap band in September 2007. A few years ago she had to have it taken out for the sleeve because of health issues not related to the band.

I carry about 1 cc of Fluid in my 4 CC anymore than that is a little too tight for me.

My wife and I and some friends did a 7 day Mexican Rivera Cruise in April and I gained a couple of lbs but managed to get that off when we came back.

My doctor's office did tell me they do less bands than before. My sister had her band removed. I know she had hers pretty tight and didn't really try to watch her eating as I do. She had a lot of reflux and scarring around the band so hers was removed. She remains obese, which is unfortunate as after knee replacements, a 100 pound loss would make her life much better.

I made a friend from Australia in 2013 when I was doing pretty well and he was 500 pounds at the time. He had the sleeve done. He went in as an aware adult, but had leakage about 30 days after and a serious infection, he was in an induced coma for about 10 days. I'm now down about 12 pounds since my cruise return May 7th.

Congrats on having a band that still works! I had to revise to RNY due to mine just not working any longer.

5 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

Congrats on having a band that still works! I had to revise to RNY due to mine just not working any longer.

Never heard that before. Stopped working as in no restriction, or inability to change the restriction?

Just now, BillOh said:

Never heard that before. Stopped working as in no restriction, or inability to change the restriction?

Maxed out restriction but didn't really "do" anything, spent a while trying to get things right and just never could get to where I was properly restricted, I could eat pretty much anything except leafy greens or things that didn't break down into a puree. Dropped 70lbs, then couldn't lose anything else no matter what I did. Tracked intake, output etc etc etc, just, stuck. Turned out my band was 100% encapsulated with scar tissue. Took over 3 times longer to remove than it should have, gave my surgical team a run for their money!

22 hours ago, Matt Z said:

Maxed out restriction but didn't really "do" anything, spent a while trying to get things right and just never could get to where I was properly restricted, I could eat pretty much anything except leafy greens or things that didn't break down into a puree. Dropped 70lbs, then couldn't lose anything else no matter what I did. Tracked intake, output etc etc etc, just, stuck. Turned out my band was 100% encapsulated with scar tissue. Took over 3 times longer to remove than it should have, gave my surgical team a run for their money!

Wow At least you did not give up looks like your doing well now, As for me my band is still in fine shape but my wife had to have her band removed a few years ago and had the gastric sleeve. In any case we are both grateful for the tools that we have been provided.