Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crohns patient requirements

I am a crohns patient going in for a gastric sleeve procedure on May 29 (so I hope). I do not have crohns in my stomach never had my GI doctor wont give me clearance tell I have an upper GI done first ever my stuff is all lower. They decided this because I have heart burn but if I lose 30 pounds it goes away so it is all weight related. I am afraid they will not clear me. My upper GI is not tell wed next week and it can take 14 days for biopsy to come back (I might add gi has known for 3 months I was doing this). My pre op physical is May 10 and surgery registration is the 11. Has anyone gone through this or have experience. I want to have it done so bad I feel it will help my crohns so much.

An EGD is a standard part of my bariatric program's plan, to be performed within 30 days of surgery. I'm not sure how that compares to an upper GI, but they are looking at the same stuff.

I'm curious as to how you feel a gastric sleeve will help your Crohn's? (I have a friend who suffers from Crohn's and it seems like she gets little to no relief with whatever she tries.)

An EGD is a standard part of my bariatric program's plan, to be performed within 30 days of surgery. I'm not sure how that compares to an upper GI, but they are looking at the same stuff.
I'm curious as to how you feel a gastric sleeve will help your Crohn's? (I have a friend who suffers from Crohn's and it seems like she gets little to no relief with whatever she tries.)

A EGD is the same things as a upper GI. I am military dependent and the general surgeron don’t require an EGD. I have an off post GI doctor doing it. Is your friend with crohns over weight by chance? I am just courteous. There are some studies that state that since there is damage and Mel absorption your body store fat causes it thinks it’s going to starve. But when weight loss is a big symptom of the disease. My surgeon say he only recommends the sleeve to stop the hunger pains. But here is the big thing if she is over weight crohns is a inflammatory thing so there are tons of foods that are inflammatory and believe it having gastric bypass helps u regect those foods (you still might crave them) sugar is huge inflammatory, bread is the other. The weight and fat cause issues. I have no relief either my crohns has attacked my skin, gallbladder and now my nerves system. But I cut sugar out two years ago same with soda and caffeine and I try to be gluten free it has cut my flairs in half. I am not a huge girl but have hi blood pressure and sleep apnea so I am a candidate for this surgery. I am 5’9 and 230 ideal weight for me is 140-160. I have read many studies and there are quite a few crohns patient that can manage there weight and symptoms a lot better with this surgery. My surgeon even has worked with a few and he said there flares went down to maybe one or two a year. Again these are army doctors they don’t need my to have this surgery to get paid they tend to tell u the truth. He did say to only do the sleeve nothing else it’s no much of a risk

But crohns patients are know for the yo-yo effect of weight and we never change anything it drives me nuts. Summer time I always drop to 220 in winter I am alway 250-260. I don’t do anything different the exercise is the same and so if food intake

That's interesting to know, thanks for posting. My friend has always had trouble keeping weight on, so I guess I just assumed that was part of the Crohn's. Never would have thought of bariatric surgery as a possible treatment, but it does make sense the way you explain it.

That's interesting to know, thanks for posting. My friend has always had trouble keeping weight on, so I guess I just assumed that was part of the Crohn's. Never would have thought of bariatric surgery as a possible treatment, but it does make sense the way you explain it.

Yea every patient is different. I went from 160 to 100 pounds when I was diagnosed and thrown on steroids for 3 years after that. Since then I have not been able to get the weight off. I was internally bleeding heavy to the point of a blood transfusions. So the steroids where super high it took 3 years to wean me off them. She would not be a good candidate but if she dose not have a federal job or random drug test CBD oil I here works mericals. There is supposed to be no THC in it but I here there is always that chance u can pop positive just like hemp seeds so I don’t chance it since I am a gov employee

While I don’t have Crohn’s I was diagnosed with ischemic colitis in 2013, which is very similar. I had a full RNY done in October 2017 and was scared how this would affect me. Mind you, I was used to the dumping syndrome. Oddly enough I have only had 1 flare up, which was 4-5 weeks post-op and in all honesty my fault. After that it’s been smooth sailing [emoji569]️

While I don’t have Crohn’s I was diagnosed with ischemic colitis in 2013, which is very similar. I had a full RNY done in October 2017 and was scared how this would affect me. Mind you, I was used to the dumping syndrome. Oddly enough I have only had 1 flare up, which was 4-5 weeks post-op and in all honesty my fault. After that it’s been smooth sailing [emoji569]️

Yea I herd good things for symptoms for anything cause for IBD. My surgeon did not recommend that one because crohns patients lose there intestines so we need to preserve them. I will probably have a bowl resection surgery in about 3 years according to my test

Yea I herd good things for symptoms for anything cause for IBD. My surgeon did not recommend that one because crohns patients lose there intestines so we need to preserve them. I will probably have a bowl resection surgery in about 3 years according to my test

I’m soooo sorry you’re going through that! That doesn’t sound pleasant at all!