Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just had surgery for VSG. Remained in hosptial x 3 days post op due to severe pain. Luckily no significant nausea, and no vomiting post op. Tolerating Fluid diet well. Voiding and stooling well. Vital signs normal.

Pain located on right side below the largest incision that was used to excise the cut out stomach. Pain occurred on movement, standing, and walking after 5 mins.....was sharp, burning, and was not relieved with pain medication (Tylenol/codeine liquid and hydromorphone liquid taken regularly ever 4-6 hrs). Pain only disappeared when at complete rest, while sitting or slightly reclined backwards with pillows behind back for support

Left hosptial still in pain on day 3 post op, but was reassured my pain was "Normal" and should disappear in time. Was told to be patient. Surgeon explained it was probably due to the internal absorbable sutures used to close muscle/incision.

I am home x 5 days...with no change in pain intensity. Still taking medication regularly which are not effective at relieving or eliminating the pain. The medication makes me drowsy so I don't move. Still Unable to stand or walk more than 5 mins at a time...because sharp burning intense pain comes on...and still the only way to find relief is to sit down with back slightly reclined backwards on pillows for support. I sleep sitting in a chair cause the pain occurs when I try to lie down

Wondering if anyone else experienced similar pain...and what they did? Not sure what to do!!! I'm very frustrated and worried something might be seriously wrong.

I had this exact pain, mine lasted for about 4 weeks. Every time I would move it would pull and make me cry out in pain! It did pass though. I hope you get some relief soon but like your docs say it takes time... So sorry your hurting. Hugs!!!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using BariatricPal mobile app

5 hours ago, KVBsleeve said:

Just had surgery for VSG. Remained in hosptial x 3 days post op due to severe pain. Luckily no significant nausea, and no vomiting post op. Tolerating Fluid diet well. Voiding and stooling well. Vital signs normal.

Pain located on right side below the largest incision that was used to excise the cut out stomach. Pain occurred on movement, standing, and walking after 5 mins.....was sharp, burning, and was not relieved with pain medication (Tylenol/codeine liquid and hydromorphone liquid taken regularly ever 4-6 hrs). Pain only disappeared when at complete rest, while sitting or slightly reclined backwards with pillows behind back for support

Left hosptial still in pain on day 3 post op, but was reassured my pain was "Normal" and should disappear in time. Was told to be patient. Surgeon explained it was probably due to the internal absorbable sutures used to close muscle/incision.

I am home x 5 days...with no change in pain intensity. Still taking medication regularly which are not effective at relieving or eliminating the pain. The medication makes me drowsy so I don't move. Still Unable to stand or walk more than 5 mins at a time...because sharp burning intense pain comes on...and still the only way to find relief is to sit down with back slightly reclined backwards on pillows for support. I sleep sitting in a chair cause the pain occurs when I try to lie down

Wondering if anyone else experienced similar pain...and what they did? Not sure what to do!!! I'm very frustrated and worried something might be seriously wrong.

I was sleeved on 3/5 and experienced the same thing that pain didn't stop until literally 3/15...however i'm still experiencing some pain not as bad as it was so i'll take that

things will get better for u as time goes on...just hang in there,you got this

Thanks for the reassurance. It's frustrating to experience this...especially when you are told prior to surgery that people generally don't experience much pain post op. And some don't need pain meds for long.

I'm so glad someone posted about this. I started having pain this morning, exactly as you all described. At first, I think it was an incision, but then I realized it was below my incision near my breasts, and above my belly incisions. It got progressively worse through the day, so I called my surgeons office after lunch. No answer. Left a voicemail. Pain had me in tears, so I left work. Called surgeon again. Voicemail. Here is it 5:30 in the evening and still no word from my surgeon. Glad I found this post. It put my mind at ease.

HW 241
SW 238
CW 211
GW 130
Sleeved 3/1/18

I have the exact same issue. Surgeon said it’s normal and will eventually resolve but it sucks and I’m in awful pain. Making this so much harder for me.